Thread: Wind Noise Issues

Wind Noise Issues

Ok, so who else has wind noise issues above 100km/h?

Since I got it I thought my Passat had more wind noise at above 100km/h. Mainly around the door seals on the drivers side. My Tiguan was much quieter. I put it down to a different aerodynamic profile and the fact that other parts of the car are quieter and therefore wind noise is more noticeable.

Well, turns out I was wrong. I was in another B8 the other day and it was whisper quiet, even with a fairly decent gale blowing.

Does anyone else noise any abnormal wind noise?

I have it booked in to the dealer for a look, of course it's one of those things that will be hard to pinpoint and diagnose, so I am really looking for anyone with a similar experience so I can give the dealer some pointers.
    MY17 206 R-Line Passat Sedan, Pure White, Sunroof | Spectune STG1 | VWR 600 Intake, TMD, Inlet Elbow | Res Delete

MY 13 Tiguan 155TSI | Pepper Grey | DSG | Leather | RVC | RNS510 | ACC | 18" New York Wheels -SOLD

Users Country Flag
    Check the window are completely up. ESP the rear ones. Seems obvious but I had this problem and the windows had another few mm of travel left which made all the difference and got rid if the noise.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Chiroptera View Post
    Check the window are completely up. ESP the rear ones. Seems obvious but I had this problem and the windows had another few mm of travel left which made all the difference and got rid if the noise.
    Yep, have checked and tripple checked that. Even opened and closed every window just incase they're stuck. Same with the sunroof. I'll check to see if I'm missing the bottom door seals.
    MY17 206 R-Line Passat Sedan, Pure White, Sunroof | Spectune STG1 | VWR 600 Intake, TMD, Inlet Elbow | Res Delete

MY 13 Tiguan 155TSI | Pepper Grey | DSG | Leather | RVC | RNS510 | ACC | 18" New York Wheels -SOLD

Users Country Flag
    MY B7 has a similar noise but it has monsoon shields on it and I put it down to them. However it only does it on the drivers side, not on passenger side
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

I have the slimline weather shields fitted to mine and I have a similar issue with wind noise.
    I assume it would disappear if I removed the shields.
    His: 2018 Golf 7.5 R Wolfsburg Edition Hatch
    Hers: 2017 Passat B8 206 R-Line Sportswagon

Quote Originally Posted by el1x View Post
    I have the slimline weather shields fitted to mine and I have a similar issue with wind noise.
    I assume it would disappear if I removed the shields.
    I'm told it's the design of the mirrors and some are just like that... I will take it further when I have the energy. I don't think the amount of wind noise I am getting is acceptable considering my tiguan which was 20k less and has the aerodynamic efficiency of a brick which sounded much quieter.

Quote Originally Posted by Wynnston View Post
    I'm told it's the design of the mirrors and some are just like that... I will take it further when I have the energy. I don't think the amount of wind noise I am getting is acceptable considering my tiguan which was 20k less and has the aerodynamic efficiency of a brick which sounded much quieter.
    How are some "just like that" and others aren't?
    That makes no sense if it's in the design it should be relatively the same for all.
    Sounds like an excuse for "I don't know, go away"
    His: 2018 Golf 7.5 R Wolfsburg Edition Hatch
    Hers: 2017 Passat B8 206 R-Line Sportswagon

Quote Originally Posted by el1x View Post
    How are some "just like that" and others aren't?
    That makes no sense if it's in the design it should be relatively the same for all.
    Sounds like an excuse for "I don't know, go away"
    Yep, you're certainly right on that one.