Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VCDS/OBDEleven enable traffic jam assist?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

I just used the contact form on the VW Australia website to send the following inquiry, if anybody else wants to do the same:

I recently purchased an MY17 Passat 206TSI R-Line. I am very happy with the car, and especially the advanced driver assistance features such as adaptive cruise control and lane assist. I understand the Passat is available with a traffic jam assist function in some overseas markets, and also that the closely related Skoda Superb in Australia is available with the traffic jam assist function. When will VW provide a software update to enable traffic jam assist in the Passat?

Best of luck, more people need to harass them about TJA.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post

As I understand, Traffic Jam assist is just a combination of Lane Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control operating together at the lower speeds....

So, if there is sufficient community interest in discovering the software switch for Traffic Jam Assist, we need to get the code-string from an A5 module for a car that has Traffic Jam Assist and the code-string from an A5 module for a car without Traffic Jam Assist operating. The rest is easy!
    I think TJA apparently uses Adaptive Lane Guidance, not Lane Assist. I get the impression that the adaptive lane guidance (which keeps the car centred in the lane) is a fancier version of lane assist (which just bounces off the edges of the lane).

i have a skoda kodiaq with TJA and a B8 passat alltrack without TJA. different cars, but both MQB. Would that suffice?

I also gotta work out where i put that ross-tech cable, which i haven't used in quite a while. i certainly am a bit rusty with the VCDS stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by sclyde2 View Post
    I think TJA apparently uses Adaptive Lane Guidance, not Lane Assist. I get the impression that the adaptive lane guidance (which keeps the car centred in the lane) is a fancier version of lane assist (which just bounces off the edges of the lane).

i have a skoda kodiaq with TJA and a B8 passat alltrack without TJA. different cars, but both MQB. Would that suffice?

I also gotta work out where i put that ross-tech cable, which i haven't used in quite a while. i certainly am a bit rusty with the VCDS stuff.
    Yes, a bit of confusion surrounds that point.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by sclyde2 View Post

clyde: More than happy to be corrected by your better understanding of TJA - I'm always willing to learn new stuff! I tracked-down the video below - I guess the voice-over man meant to say "adaptive" Lane Assist when describing the two driver assist functions that are used for TJA - but allowed the additional adjective to be silent in the video!

The label file that was provided in Chris's link has the complete set of long helper screens, but as I said, nearly all of the Bit descriptors are very cryptic and there appears to be nothing amongst them that's at all evocative of the term "TJA".

In an ideal world, it would be great to get code strings from two identical Passats - one with TJA and the other without TJA. But as we all know, the real world is very different to life in nirvana!

So, sure - let's start the community experiment with an Alltrack. Just make an autoscan report and post-up a copy between the "code" tags (i.e. type "[code]" - then paste the autoscan report - then type "[ /code]" (without a space between "[" and "/". If you select reply with quote on this post, you will see how this works below. Some folk like to remove the VIN - but as I was reminded recently, the VIN is prominently displayed on all VAG cars under the windscreen - for any passer-by to read. But you can omit the VIN if you want- its not important for this exercise.

Don

Code:
    Paste auto scan report between code tags
    Last edited by DV52; 25-07-2017 at 02:25 PM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    i'm guessing that "lane assist" is VAG's "family" of driver assistance features that relate to keeping the car in the lane. maybe the plain-jane bounce-off-the-boundaries version of it is simply referred to as "lane assist". "adaptive lane guidance" is probably part of this family of "lane assist" driver assistance, so could also be described as lane assist. generic descriptions of the feature probably refer to the simple lane assist family rather the specific version of lane assist, such as adaptive lane guidance.

yeah the instructions are pretty clear. i might not get it to until the weekend.

iv, tried multiple ways now and still no success, i was stuck in traffic for 2,5 hrs the other day which i thought would be a good time to do the mods on the fly, but still have nothing.

What I do like is the water mod for highway use of the ALG as I drover for about 30min without touching the wheel, it was very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Diegothecat View Post
    What I do like is the water mod for highway use of the ALG as I drover for about 30min without touching the wheel, it was very interesting.
    Can you lease clarify what the water mod is?

Its more a physical mod that im working on, that is a tube filled with water and it will be attached to the bottom of the steering wheel. but a the moment its a little bottle of water jammed into the wheel lol

i do have the TJA assist working up to a point but for some reason i cant get it to take control of the steering as yet.

Thanks for the explanation but I will pass. TJA is ACC with ALG controlling the steering under 67KPH. The only thing missing from any car with ACC is the steering component, the 3 second delay for re-start is present in any car with TJA and so is the 13 second dead man feature. The more I see the less I am convinced the open time control of both is possible because VW have just released an Audi with what appears to be both but are saying that they will not allow it to be activated in countries that don't legislate to allow for it. The presenter starts talking about autonomous driving capability about two minutes in.

2018 Audi A8 video review

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast