Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scratched plastic.

Scratched plastic.

Hi all have had my demo b8 for 2 days now and have noticed that the plastic panels have hundreds of mini scratches on them if in direct sunlight and right angle. Scratches have obviously been caused by washing the car but can they be fixed and buffed out once in a while or am I being too fussy?
    Photo of where I am talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Not fussy at all - can definitely be tidied up. Probably a few options - best to check out the detailing section, or visit sponsor CCP for the right products.

One reason why I quite like the matte/textured finish that Mazda uses on a lot of their vehicles currently, almost impossible to inadvertently damage.

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch77 View Post
    Not fussy at all - can definitely be tidied up. Probably a few options - best to check out the detailing section, or visit sponsor CCP for the right products.

One reason why I quite like the matte/textured finish that Mazda uses on a lot of their vehicles currently, almost impossible to inadvertently damage.
    Thanks very much appreciate your reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Just polish and wax as you would with the paintwork to keep the scratches at a minimum. In particular women with rings/bracelets etc are the ones that scratch these gloss black parts.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    The short answer to your question is no - they cannot be repaired, they can only be masked (partially hidden). The symptom you describe is common to all manufacturers who use this type of high-gloss plastic trim panel.

My advice would be to get yourself one of the following products (listed in the order that I prefer them):

1. Rx UV Protectant Cleaner & Polish
    2. Plexus Plastic Cleaner Protector and Polish
    3. Vuplex Plastic Cleaner Anti-static Polish

They are all similar products, but I have found Rx to be the best of the breed, so to speak. They are all available from Whitworths Marine. Vuplex is an Aussie product and available from places like Autobarn, BCF and Bunnings.

They won't remove the scratches, but they will make them virtually disappear and will also prevent the buildup of water spots on those surfaces. The products are excellent for use on things like headlight lenses, and all painted plastics.

I think it goes without saying, but I'm a fan
    Cheers

Users Country Flag
    I also have the same on my Gloss B Pillars, but I also have the cloudy / milky build up on the anodised aluminium roof rails. Are you guys getting this also? doc_777 any suggestions to fix the roof rails. Nothing seems to work!!!
    Last edited by ope126; 19-04-2017 at 10:49 AM.
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

The actual short answer is yes they can be repaired but via polishing. I have detailed numerous cars with the high gloss piano black B pillars. Obviously need to tread very carefully in terms of machine and polish used and also need to be very wary of heat as they are plastic. The finish on these is very soft and improper wash technique will soon see the swirls and marring returned.

just one eg of how its done https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzC6VRwsQuc. Not the best polish to use nor best technique but it gives you an idea that the swirls and marring can actually be removed
    Last edited by Libertyrx1; 05-04-2017 at 02:21 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
    I also have the same on my Gloss B Pillars, but I also have the cloudy / milky build up on the anodised roof rails. Are you guys getting this also? doc_777 and suggestions to fix the roof rails. Nothing seems to work!!!
    Took the car to VW today to see what they could do about the cloudy / milky / water spots on the anodised roof rails. They gave them a "polish" with California Custom - The original Purple Metal Polish, however it did nothing other than spread white polish powder all over the car...

Apart from dropping the headliner and replacing (which I would rather not do) under warranty - is there any other thoughts or suggestions?
    Last edited by ope126; 19-04-2017 at 10:50 AM.
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
    Took the car to VW today to see what they could do about the cloudy / milky / water spots on the anodised roof rails. They gave them a "polish" however it did nothing other than spread white polish powder all over the car...

Apart from dropping the headliner and replacing (which I would rather not do) under warranty - is there any other thoughts or suggestions?
    Anodised Aluminium Polish 75mL | Autosol Australia
    08 Golf GTI - SOLD

Users Country Flag

Thanks for the suggestion, I have Autosol Aluminium Polish (I purchased from Bunnings) which did nothing...
    I did not know that they have the Anodised Aluminium Polish also. Will have to purchase some and give it a try!

Here is a link to what I am experiencing; Silver roof rails need some attention - photo's included | Audi-Sport.net
    Last edited by ope126; 18-04-2017 at 11:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast