Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Query - 2017 Passat 206 TSI R - Tuning

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CaseySP View Post
    I get the coding. More a question about the differences between standard and "Audi" setup. ie what is the difference - is the VW setup deliberately sub-optimal to push purchasers towards Audi (seriously?). Does this affect the Golf R as well as the Passat and Arteon? Has anyone done a set of comparative dyno plots? What is the before and after driver experience (seems positive )?

FWIW I used to have an MX5-SP (one of the 100 special edition Alan Horsely turbo rockets) and a $2 mod on the boost line lifted the engine output from 160kW factory to about 190kW (in a 1200kg car mind you ). Any number of us were doing these mods on dynos - often with an ECU tune at the same time, and could demonstrate the gains and where in the curve they occurred.
    Tried and works on Arteon & Skoda Superb todate .. So anyone else out there with 2.0l FSI willing to give it a go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Goublin View Post
    Neuspeed in the US sent me this when i inquired: Your engine is the gen3 so the Golf R Discharge pipe 48.02.47 should fit. We do not make an air charge because OE is full size with no restrictions so an aftermarket pipe will have no benefit.

HI-FLO Turbo Discharge Conversion

Was good of them to be upfront. I'm going to get the TDP.

I had some money coming my way, which now has arrived. I'm getting the following do to the Passat:

Racingline OEM+ stage 2 tune package at HP Brisbane
    DSG tune
    Racingline IC
    Neuspeed TGP
    Bespoke cat back Exhaust system

I've spoke to all the suppliers and done my research. I'm hoping to get done by the end of April. Be interesting to see the gains.

Update for those who are interested.

Full exhaust system done. Will add a mid-muffler as it’s a bit too noisy for me
    The guys (who have been awesome) at HP tuned it up after exhaust was fitted and the engine light came on and did a DSG tune too.

Waiting on parts to be ordered. Intercooler, cool air induction and turbo pipe. My neuspeed discharge pipe has arrived so they will fit it all and tune to stage 2+

So right now with exhaust, tune, and DSG tune its pulling about 275 KW (estimate) I took it to Willowbank on Friday and did a qtr mile in 12.7 secs. I think I could have got better, need to work on my launch control. Car feels good, no turbo lag and hugely responsive. Cannot wait to see what it will do when all the other stuff is added. They said it could land around 300kw.
    I will post some pics when done.

Update for those who are interested.

Full exhaust system done. Will add a mid-muffler as it’s a bit too noisy for me
    The guys (who have been awesome) at HP tuned it up after exhaust was fitted and the engine light came on and did a DSG tune too.

Waiting on parts to be ordered. Intercooler, cool air induction and turbo pipe. My neuspeed discharge pipe has arrived so they will fit it all and tune to stage 2+

So right now with exhaust, tune, and DSG tune its pulling about 275 KW (estimate) I took it to Willowbank on Friday and did a qtr mile in 12.7 secs. I think I could have got better, need to work on my launch control. Car feels good, no turbo lag and hugely responsive. Cannot wait to see what it will do when all the other stuff is added. They said it could land around 300kw.
    I will post some pics when done.
    I Query - 2017 Passat 206 TSI R - Tuning-drags-png

That was me last night. 12.718 on JB4 Only. Sedan. The car next to me was a Wagon with a JB4, best he got all night was 12.9, but he had a passenger. He has a JB4 on Map 2 as well.

Everyone was very impressed, including the commentators on the night. I don't think they expected a Passat to do those times.

I did have a few problems with launching at the top of the Launch control. It would sometimes lose too much traction and not want to go straight into 2nd. It was a little damp earlier in the day so traction wasn't perfect, even with 4 motion. It certainly needs a gearbox tune and some sort of Haldex controller to make it just that little bit better.
    Last edited by Wynnston; 19-04-2018 at 09:03 PM.
    MY17 206 R-Line Passat Sedan, Pure White, Sunroof | Spectune STG1 | VWR 600 Intake, TMD, Inlet Elbow | Res Delete

MY 13 Tiguan 155TSI | Pepper Grey | DSG | Leather | RVC | RNS510 | ACC | 18" New York Wheels -SOLD

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynnston View Post
    I Query - 2017 Passat 206 TSI R - Tuning-drags-png

That was me last night. 12.718 on JB4 Only. Sedan. The car next to me was a Wagon with a JB4, best he got all night was 12.9, but he had a passenger. He has a JB4 on Map 2 as well.

Everyone was very impressed, including the commentators on the night. I don't think they expected a Passat to do those times.

I did have a few problems with launching at the top of the Launch control. It would sometimes lose too much traction and not want to go straight into 2nd. It was a little damp earlier in the day so traction wasn't perfect, even with 4 motion. It certainly needs a gearbox tune and some sort of Haldex controller to make it just that little bit better.
    Wow great time mate, anything else apart from the JB4? Car back next week to complete stage 2 so ill be keen to see if i can better that. I did three runs, the 12.7 was my first and the only one were i got the launch control spot on, need to practice!

Wow great time mate, anything else apart from the JB4? Car back next week to complete stage 2 so ill be keen to see if i can better that. I did three runs, the 12.7 was my first and the only one were i got the launch control spot on, need to practice!
    JB4 and Res Delete, but the Res Delete is obviously not going to give me any more power. What are you running to get the 12.7?
    MY17 206 R-Line Passat Sedan, Pure White, Sunroof | Spectune STG1 | VWR 600 Intake, TMD, Inlet Elbow | Res Delete

MY 13 Tiguan 155TSI | Pepper Grey | DSG | Leather | RVC | RNS510 | ACC | 18" New York Wheels -SOLD

Also, to everyone that's done the VCDS "Audi" throttle response hack. There is a cost. I discovered my launch and issues were related to this change.

TCS (Traction Control) does not behave well in the wet. I would say that both the Haldex and TCS aren't calibrated to the change in throttle behaviour.

I first noticed a difference when LC didn't behave itself properly. It would lose traction (in the dry), jolt and then not change into 2nd right away. After reverting back to the VW setting this didn't happen anymore.

When it was rather wet the other day, when in "Audi" mode the front wheels would easily break traction and when switched back to "VW" mode it behaved itself and was harder to break traction.

Like I said above, it might all be symptoms of the TCS/Haldex not being calibrated for the throttle, or that it really does confuse the ABS and other modules. I would recommend against the change. Each to their own of course
    Last edited by Wynnston; 24-04-2018 at 10:46 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Maybe I should have read this post first.

I haven't had any dramas with both hacks, but it also hasn't been that wet here, and I have driven it a bit nannyish (haven't used LC), which now I think about it, is probably why fuel economy has been marginally better.

Thanks Wynnston
    Last edited by DR074; 25-04-2018 at 09:03 AM. Reason: extra info
    Mine - Mustang GT MY20 - Carbonised Grey - "Nicky"
    Hers - T-Roc 140 TSI Sport MY21 - Reveena Blue - "Rocky"
    Previous - Passat 206TSI MY17 - Night Blue

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DR074 View Post
    Maybe I should have read this post first.

I haven't had any dramas with both hacks, but it also hasn't been that wet here, and I have driven it a bit nannyish (haven't used LC), which now I think about it, is probably why fuel economy has been marginally better.

Thanks Wynnston
    Hi all,please advise what you mean by both hacks, i am only aware of the Audi one ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Sorry mate, there is also an XDS change you can make. Well, there are 2 different ways of making the car feel more like an AWD.

Set XDS to "Strong" - VW Golf Mk7 VCDS How-To

and

(Can't find link)

Select AWD Control Unit
    Adaptation
    Acoustic Measure, Wiring Logic
    Choose from ‘Standard, Increased Traction, Less Noise’ - I chose Increased Traction.

I haven't tried the first one, but have tried the second one.

The above I did using OBDEleven, and you can use VCDS as well.
    Last edited by DR074; 25-04-2018 at 11:33 AM.
    Mine - Mustang GT MY20 - Carbonised Grey - "Nicky"
    Hers - T-Roc 140 TSI Sport MY21 - Reveena Blue - "Rocky"
    Previous - Passat 206TSI MY17 - Night Blue

Quote Originally Posted by DR074 View Post
    Sorry mate, there is also an XDS change you can make. Well, there are 2 different ways of making the car feel more like an AWD.

Set XDS to "Strong" - VW Golf Mk7 VCDS How-To

and

(Can't find link)

Select AWD Control Unit
    Adaptation
    Acoustic Measure, Wiring Logic
    Choose from ‘Standard, Increased Traction, Less Noise’ - I chose Increased Traction.

I haven't tried the first one, but have tried the second one.

The above I did using OBDEleven, and you can use VCDS as well.
    There was a guy on the MK7 forums warning about the XDS hack, he seems to think it caused him to wreck a MK7R on a freeway offramp in slippery conditions. Possibly not an issue for us, there is no ice in WA...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast