Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passat - Dynaudio

Passat - Dynaudio

Hi All,

I spoke to VW today as I know Dynaudio is being offered in some 2018 Models and it wasnt offered in My 2017 Passat R- Line, VW advised that it can not be installed as is only factory fitted at the time of making of the vehicle
    2017 - VW Passat 206 TSI - R Line Wagon in white

Users Country Flag
    Anything can be installed if you really want to.

You'd need a full set of speakers and amp, and a Discover Pro MIB2 unit that has optical output for the amp.
    Then you'd need to install everything and get Component Protection on the head unit matched or removed.
    VW won't do any of that for you.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post

You'd need a full set of speakers and amp, and a Discover Pro MIB2 unit that has optical output for the amp.
    Then you'd need to install everything and get Component Protection on the head unit matched or removed.
    You will be up for 4k+ for a dynaudio retrofit not worth it imo
    Go for a good aftermarket solution it will be cheaper
    2017 Golf Alltrack 135tdi All options
    19 inch Brescia Wheels Golf R brakes front and rear
    Calipers painted Candy apple gold
    New rear sway bar and linkages

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post

Been looking into this and looks like could be quite expensive, was thinking might just fit a good amp but im a bit clueless on all this to be honest..I know you are a man of plenty of knowledge Kamold and this forum will give me some good advice so...Will I notice much difference in the stock sound with an amp and would I be best to go amp + Sub or replace speakers? Id like to keep the costs down..Would I need to change any coding on the MIB2 if i was to get an audio shop to install it? Also on Amps how many channels would you recommend?

Users Country Flag
    You will get a great increase in sound with just an amp driving the stock speakers.
    Better again of you add a sub to take the bass response off the existing woofers.
    Talk to a reputable audio installer.
    You'll need a line out converter and then optionally a DSP if you want some control over levels beyond what the head unit can do.
    Then if you're still looking to get higher clarity or really push for high volume levels you can look at upgraded speakers.
    In most cases just adding a decent amp makes for a huge increase in the overall quality of the sound because the internal amp is quite underpowered.

Retrofitting OEM is never cheap and in this case having to also replace the mib makes it a bit of a no brainer to go aftermarket unless you're a factory purist.

Cant make any specific model recommendations but your audio shop will help.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by bunglebp View Post
    Been looking into this and looks like could be quite expensive, was thinking might just fit a good amp but im a bit clueless on all this to be honest..I know you are a man of plenty of knowledge Kamold and this forum will give me some good advice so...Will I notice much difference in the stock sound with an amp and would I be best to go amp + Sub or replace speakers? Id like to keep the costs down..Would I need to change any coding on the MIB2 if i was to get an audio shop to install it? Also on Amps how many channels would you recommend?
    This is how much I spent (I went active setup, 4 channels goes to front speakers, 2 channels go to sub. I turned off the rear speakers by the way)
    Front speakers: PS165FX $380
    Sub: Polk DB1212 (inc. enclosure): $200
    Amp/dsp combo: Helix P Six 6-channel: $1200
    Installation at Brookvale Manly: $400
    Cabling: $100

All up $2300. I recommend PS165FX highly, at that price range, I think it is the best. You don't have to get the amp/dsp I got, Alpine MRX V70 5-channel amp goes for $480 on ebay. That will bring the total to $1,560. Is that around your price range?

Current: MY16 132TSI | Luxury | R-Line
    MY14 C250 W205 | Command | Vision | Exclusive | Seat Comfort
    MY13 A200 W176 | Command | Vision | Exclusive | Seat Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by rave75 View Post
    This is how much I spent (I went active setup, 4 channels goes to front speakers, 2 channels go to sub. I turned off the rear speakers by the way)
    Front speakers: PS165FX $380
    Sub: Polk DB1212 (inc. enclosure): $200
    Amp/dsp combo: Helix P Six 6-channel: $1200
    Installation at Brookvale Manly: $400
    Cabling: $100

All up $2300. I recommend PS165FX highly, at that price range, I think it is the best. You don't have to get the amp/dsp I got, Alpine MRX V70 5-channel amp goes for $480 on ebay. That will bring the total to $1,560. Is that around your price range?
    Sounds not bad I spoke to a gentleman at Autobarn and he recommended Audisson Prima amp which I am looking into or Pioneer 5 channel amp which has a DSP built in ($300) and $100 for fitting with cables and a converter, the map would go under the passenger seat, he advised i can look at subs but wasnt sure what type I wanted as he advised I might need a boxed one depending on where i want it installed? I'd preferably want it where the spare wheel is but not sure on this? I am not after anything too basey I advised just clarrity..Do we need to change anything in OBD to get an amp / sub working does anyone know??

Users Country Flag
    Sounds not bad I spoke to a gentleman at Autobarn and he recommended Audisson Prima amp which I am looking into or Pioneer 5 channel amp which has a DSP built in ($300) and $100 for fitting with cables and a converter, the map would go under the passenger seat, he advised i can look at subs but wasnt sure what type I wanted as he advised I might need a boxed one depending on where i want it installed? I'd preferably want it where the spare wheel is but not sure on this? I am not after anything too basey I advised just clarrity..Do we need to change anything in OBD to get an amp / sub working does anyone know??
    First off, I'd advised against installing your audio at a place like autobarn/jbhifi. They cut corners that's why it is cheap. I was in your shoe, was looking to get decent install at the cheapest price possible. Strathfield brookvale charges $150 for front speakers and $150 for amp (inc. sub). They did a good job with the wiring, confirmed by someone from FHRX studio. FHRX is very well known audio installer, they arguably does the best audio install but it comes at a premium.

Audison prima 5-6 channel goes about $1000 I think? I heard dsp software on prima is not so good. For $200 more, I'd go for helix p six, much better output, much better dsp power. For $750, i'd go with this Match M5 DSP - Five Channel Car Audio Amplifier / Processor. - Fhrx Studios. Don't go for pioneer amp. Just don't.

It has 5 channels, 4 channels can go to you front speakers, if you are going active. If you are going passive, then 2 channel goes to front and 2 channel goes to rear. Then one channel goes to subwoofer. Preferably subwoofer with 2-ohm input. I am actually looking to sell my polk db1212 sub. I am willing to let it go for half the price I paid. I paid $200 and it is still going for $250 now (I used ebay 20% discount before). It is 5 months old with receipt. Reason being I need a sub with different type of box. Let me know if you are interested.

Passat boot is quite big, the cheapest option is to put the sub in the box (at least 10inch sub since passat is long, you'd hardly hear the bass with smaller sub). Are you okay with sacrificing some space in the boot. You can always take the box out whenever you need that space temporarily.

The expensive option is to build a custom fibreglass enclosure that fits the left side pocket in the boot. But you are looking at $800++ just to build the enclosure. You can also build enclosure that fits the spare wheel space. Again anything custom is expensive.

There are some brand that sells a subwoofer that fits into the spare wheel space. But it's hard to get it local and it is quite expensive, around $400 I think. Plus it is a small sub, so you will hardly hear it from there. Say if you have golf, it is okay to have that kind of sub since golf is shorter.

You don't need to change anything in OBD I think, need someone to confirm this. Preferably, you need to get amp with high level inputs (not rca input). Otherwise you need to get a converter.

Say if you go for match m5, get a $400 front speaker and my sub. You'd be looking at $1600 inc install at brookvale and cabling. What is your budget by the way?
    Last edited by rave75; 06-10-2017 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rave75 View Post
    First off, I'd advised against installing your audio at a place like autobarn/jbhifi. They cut corners that's why it is cheap. I was in your shoe, was looking to get decent install at the cheapest price possible. Strathfield brookvale charges $150 for front speakers and $150 for amp (inc. sub). They did a good job with the wiring, confirmed by someone from FHRX studio. FHRX is very well known audio installer, they arguably does the best audio install but it comes at a premium.

Audison prima 5-6 channel goes about $1000 I think? I heard dsp software on prima is not so good. For $200 more, I'd go for helix p six, much better output, much better dsp power. For $750, i'd go with this Match M5 DSP - Five Channel Car Audio Amplifier / Processor. - Fhrx Studios. Don't go for pioneer amp. Just don't.

It has 5 channels, 4 channels can go to you front speakers, if you are going active. If you are going passive, then 2 channel goes to front and 2 channel goes to rear. Then one channel goes to subwoofer. Preferably subwoofer with 2-ohm input. I am actually looking to sell my polk db1212 sub. I am willing to let it go for half the price I paid. I paid $200 and it is still going for $250 now (I used ebay 20% discount before). It is 5 months old with receipt. Reason being I need a sub with different type of box. Let me know if you are interested.

Passat boot is quite big, the cheapest option is to put the sub in the box (at least 10inch sub since passat is long, you'd hardly hear the bass with smaller sub). Are you okay with sacrificing some space in the boot. You can always take the box out whenever you need that space temporarily.

The expensive option is to build a custom fibreglass enclosure that fits the left side pocket in the boot. But you are looking at $800++ just to build the enclosure. You can also build enclosure that fits the spare wheel space. Again anything custom is expensive.

There are some brand that sells a subwoofer that fits into the spare wheel space. But it's hard to get it local and it is quite expensive, around $400 I think. Plus it is a small sub, so you will hardly hear it from there. Say if you have golf, it is okay to have that kind of sub since golf is shorter.

You don't need to change anything in OBD I think, need someone to confirm this. Preferably, you need to get amp with high level inputs (not rca input). Otherwise you need to get a converter.

Say if you go for match m5, get a $400 front speaker and my sub. You'd be looking at $1600 inc install at brookvale and cabling. What is your budget by the way?
    Wow Rave that is some pretty good advice much appreciated and certainly given me some info to look into as far as budget goes I dont really have one as when i find an option i can aim for that..but as i said im a bit clueless on some parts..Id rather not spend thousands or id just rip it all out and install from scratch hehe

Users Country Flag

Wow Rave that is some pretty good advice much appreciated and certainly given me some info to look into as far as budget goes I dont really have one as when i find an option i can aim for that..but as i said im a bit clueless on some parts..Id rather not spend thousands or id just rip it all out and install from scratch hehe
    My pleasure, happy to help. I was clueless as well before and did some extensive research before I install mine. Pretty much I wanted to get the best bang for my buck. PM me if you need any further advice. First you need to know what configuration you want, do you want to use the rear speakers or not. I muted my rears and just focused on my front speakers.

If you decide to go the cheap route (Autobarn), someone I know installed his in Autobarn Penrith. There is a guy there who do it quite okay and he works at Autobarn Campbelltown too. Get alpine amplifier at least and not Pioneer. I don't believe there is a pioneer amp with DSP though. DSP is where you can adjust the gain at frequency band level.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast