Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Passat B8 towing

Users Country Flag

What Westfalia state for lowball download is actually irrelevant - what VW state for compliance purposes of the vehicle is all the counts. So sorry to say, 90kg it is. The max lowball download is the LESSER of what is plated on the bar, or what the vehicle is complianced for.

Nice outcome though - it looks neat.

I have the VW tower fitted. They hide the 13 pin Euro to 7 pin Aus adapter up under the bumper. Just a different way of achieving the same result I guess. Still have to carry the LED load box if your trailer has LED lights - now THAT is annoying IMO.

To be honest, my main reason for going with dealer-fitment was for full factory support over the lifetime I own the vehicle. Any issues - no arguments with the dealer, they just have to fix it as long as its under the 6 year warranty. I was first thankful for that when they installed the towbar and were having trouble with the coding...

IMO, I think the nicest thing about the westfalia products is the "hidden" receiver. It is elegant design, and I often wonder why VW Australia (and, indeed otherEuro brands that I've owned) don't include that design more often on their Australian release vehicles. Don't know the reason - could be ADR but I doubt it. Most likely $$$ related.

Weird things are the 7-pin adapter. Why oh why can't we LEGALLY use the far superior 13 pin Euro plug - why MUST we have one of the silly ADR approved inferior plugs in the trailer wiring circuit?
    Last edited by doc_777; 13-05-2017 at 09:29 AM.
    Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by doc_777 View Post
    What Westfalia state for lowball download is actually irrelevant - what VW state for compliance purposes of the vehicle is all the counts. So sorry to say, 90kg it is. The max lowball download is the LESSER of what is plated on the bar, or what the vehicle is complianced for.

Nice outcome though - it looks neat.

I have the VW tower fitted. They hide the 13 pin Euro to 7 pin Aus adapter up under the bumper. Just a different way of achieving the same result I guess. Still have to carry the LED load box if your trailer has LED lights - now THAT is annoying IMO.

To be honest, my main reason for going with dealer-fitment was for full factory support over the lifetime I own the vehicle. Any issues - no arguments with the dealer, they just have to fix it as long as its under the 6 year warranty. I was first thankful for that when they installed the towbar and were having trouble with the coding...

IMO, I think the nicest thing about the westfalia products is the "hidden" receiver. It is elegant design, and I often wonder why VW Australia (and, indeed otherEuro brands that I've owned) don't include that design more often on their Australian release vehicles. Don't know the reason - could be ADR but I doubt it. Most likely $$$ related.

Weird things are the 7-pin adapter. Why oh why can't we LEGALLY use the far superior 13 pin Euro plug - why MUST we have one of the silly ADR approved inferior plugs in the trailer wiring circuit?
    Yeah, 90kg is what I'm aiming for. My 2006 B6 Passat was 75kg (from memory) so even 90 is an upgrade, albeit low. I too have never understood why we can't adopt the 13pin matrix, but then look how long it took to adopt ISOfix.

Interesting you had trouble with the coding too. That's what I'm currently going through even though the VW kit is used. I'm returning Tuesday to get the bumper straight and the electrics working.
    Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Dead right about the ballweight and the rule about towing limits is the same.

A the manufacturers stated limit or B the towbars stated limit Whichever is the lesser. No if or buts Thats it
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Question for NPR Is that version towbar ADR approved for use in Australia
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    NPR - I honestly can't recall what the issue was with the coding - something about the car not wanting to upload the correct program??? They were doing 2 Alltracks the day mine was done, same issue with both cars. They were talking to VW HQ to try and get it sorted while I was waiting to pick it up. They said that the one they did a few weeks prior was the same - the car just didn't want to accept the programming. That was at a dealer. Admittedly here on the south island the sales volumes are probably nothing like you see on the north island, so its entirely possible that some of the bigger dealers that push one out the door every few days have identified a workaround.
    Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Question for NPR Is that version towbar ADR approved for use in Australia
    Yep, full compliance. But as everyone has been stating, I'm ignoring the 200kg ball weight.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by doc_777 View Post
    NPR - I honestly can't recall what the issue was with the coding - something about the car not wanting to upload the correct program??? They were doing 2 Alltracks the day mine was done, same issue with both cars. They were talking to VW HQ to try and get it sorted while I was waiting to pick it up. They said that the one they did a few weeks prior was the same - the car just didn't want to accept the programming. That was at a dealer. Admittedly here on the south island the sales volumes are probably nothing like you see on the north island, so its entirely possible that some of the bigger dealers that push one out the door every few days have identified a workaround.
    sounds like a similar issue. The dealer service guy said that Germany had altered the code process to engage the trailer electrics a number of time in the B8 series and the latest one has failed to work. So, off to the dealer again tomorrow for hopefully the final fix.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12