Thread: Passat 132 TSI DSG

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ylzhao View Post
    average consumption is 8L per 100km
    Averaging around 10L with R19 wheels.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by zzc2010 View Post
    Averaging around 10L with R19 wheels.

I got 8L with R19 wheels, but on eco mode all the time though. Just because coasting is only available on Eco mode, it made a huge difference. I got as low as 7.5L at night when there's only few traffic from work to home.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by rave75 View Post
    I got 8L with R19 wheels, but on eco mode all the time though. Just because coasting is only available on Eco mode, it made a huge difference. I got as low as 7.5L at night when there's only few traffic from work to home.
    I will switch to ECO mode then.

I just wonder if ECO mode puts too much pressure onto the DSG for saving fuels.

Never want to break the DRY DSG again.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by zzc2010 View Post
    I will switch to ECO mode then.

I just wonder if ECO mode puts too much pressure onto the DSG for saving fuels.

Never want to break the DRY DSG again.
    That I don't know. As far as I know, creeping (slowly moving during traffic jam) put a stress on the clutch and will cause premature wear, just like when you drive manual. So you better give a distance between you and the front car then accelerate. Holding the throttle while on the hill to keep it from rolling backwards is a big no no too. You will need to replace the clutch plate anyway sometime in the future but don't make it sooner!

You will see the benefit of ECO mode when the road is sloping down, that's when you need to take of your foot from the gas pedal. You will see ECO symbol on the lower right of your screen when coasting is on (mine is not virtual display). Coasting will prevent engine braking, disengage the clutch, the RPM will sit at idle speed (around 800 i think) and use the momentum of the car to roll forward. When you press the gas or brake, it will engage the clutch again and deactivate coasting mode.

I imagine if the road is flat or uphill, you won't really see the benefit of ECO mode. I travel from Parramatta to Chatswood for work (around 25km a day) so I've saved quite a lot in terms of fuel expenses. At night when there's hardly any traffic, I could get even 7L and in the morning it is close to 8L. My long term average sits at 7.5L now. Hopefully this helps.
    Last edited by rave75; 03-05-2017 at 11:46 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by rave75 View Post
    That I don't know. As far as I know, creeping (slowly moving during traffic jam) put a stress on the clutch and will cause premature wear, just like when you drive manual. So you better give a distance between you and the front car then accelerate. Holding the throttle while on the hill to keep it from rolling backwards is a big no no too. You will need to replace the clutch plate anyway sometime in the future but don't make it sooner!

You will see the benefit of ECO mode when the road is sloping down, that's when you need to take of your foot from the gas pedal. You will see ECO symbol on the lower right of your screen when coasting is on (mine is not virtual display). Coasting will prevent engine braking, disengage the clutch, the RPM will sit at idle speed (around 800 i think) and use the momentum of the car to roll forward. When you press the gas or brake, it will engage the clutch again and deactivate coasting mode.

I imagine if the road is flat or uphill, you won't really see the benefit of ECO mode. I travel from Parramatta to Chatswood for work (around 25km a day) so I've saved quite a lot in terms of fuel expenses. At night when there's hardly any traffic, I could get even 7L and in the morning it is close to 8L. My long term average sits at 7.5L now. Hopefully this helps.
    That's very helpful.

Thanks.

Users Country Flag

2016 Passat 132 TSI wagon R-Line & Driver Assist
    (Swapped out 18" wheels for standard - this tones down the ride.)

Had now for 12 months.
    No issues whatsover - a superb car.
    Comfortable.
    Delight to drive.
    More than adequate performance.
    7 speed DSG has been exceptional.
    Economical (8.05 L/100k - measured independent of the car display)

Fitted after market Towlink towbar and it tows my 6x4 trailer faultlessly.
    (nb this does not void warranty)

The only criticism I have is that the CD player/Sim slot is not properly lit in the glove box.
    Like many modern cars, the front end styling looks great but is quite impractical given the height of most car park kerbs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12