Thread: Looking at buying a new Passat

Users Country Flag

Looking at buying a new Passat

I've just joined this forum and thought I would say hello.
    I've joined as I wanted to get some feedback, I'm looking at possibly buying a new Passat (Comfortline with Luxury Pack), however, I'm hearing a lot of murmurings that the VW Service/Support/Warranty isn't very good and it's starting to put me off buying one.

Wondering what everyone's experience is.

I'd be getting the wagon as I have a family, I'm also looking at the Mazda 6, Outback and Levorg.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Or just point me to an appropriate thread.

Cheers folks.

Users Country Flag
    To be honest... Service/Support/Warranty are pretty much the same with all brand (of coz some jap brand can be a lot worst, speaking from a owner of 9 cars with different brands in the last 11 years).

I will rate VW better then the brand that you are looking at (I have own 2 Subie and 1 Mazda amount those 9 cars I have mentioned above, and they were all bought brand new). And I am on my third VW (in a roll) at the moment.

Just my 2cents....
    MY13.5 Rising Blue Scirocco R - DSG - Sunroof - sold!
    MY15 Pearl Black Tiguan 155 R-Line - DSG - Dual Sunroof - SatNav - Leather - sold!
    MY17 Indium Grey Passat 206TSI R-Line Wagon - DSG - Dual Sunroof ... the Journey Continues ...
    Check out my blog for car photos and product reviews! http://www.infiniticious.com

My experience with VW service is much the same as my experience with Subaru. It all comes down to who you deal with on the day. Price wise, I found them to be very comparable. I've just had a Skoda Octavia RS before that an Outback and now a B8 Passat.
    I'm now in a Passat for 2 reasons. 1 being the build quality and 2, the all wheel drive platform.
    After owning 2 Outbacks, I found the build quality lacking that of the VW but most of all, the CVT was terrible with respect to how I want a gearbox/engine combination to work.....and no I'm not a wannabe race car driver. The CVT transmission really didn't suit me at all.
    The Skoda on the other hand was an excellent car but was lacking the AWD transmission.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I've had my 132TSI Comfortline Wagon for six months now, and am very happy with it indeed. While I have not yet had it serviced, my experience with VW service over the previous six years (Mk6 Golf GTI) has been just fine.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Wagon View Post
    My experience with VW service is much the same as my experience with Subaru. It all comes down to who you deal with on the day. Price wise, I found them to be very comparable. I've just had a Skoda Octavia RS before that an Outback and now a B8 Passat.
    I'm now in a Passat for 2 reasons. 1 being the build quality and 2, the all wheel drive platform.
    After owning 2 Outbacks, I found the build quality lacking that of the VW but most of all, the CVT was terrible with respect to how I want a gearbox/engine combination to work.....and no I'm not a wannabe race car driver. The CVT transmission really didn't suit me at all.
    The Skoda on the other hand was an excellent car but was lacking the AWD transmission.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    I would mirror what AZ says above exactly. Came from 3 manual Subarus, into 2 manual Skodas and now DSG VW. If you don't need AWD then the Skoda Octavia VRS's are fantastic value for the money, not too much smaller than Passat inside, and are the Octavia to get to make it feel more special. The Superb is Passat equivalent and has 5 year warranty and probably better value for money overall. I bought the 206 VW Passat as wanted AWD again too and the VRS didn't have that and VW was same price as Skoda in NZ and is slightly better appointed than the equivalent Superb with toys etc. I think the Superb equivalent in Oz to the Passat you are looking at has the VRS motor too.....? Not trying to put you off VW as they are great cars but Skoda's aren't bad either now and if price is a factor then would pay to compare both against each other as an option also. VW/Skoda have longer service intervals than Subaru which is nicer as well.
    Now: MY16 VW Passat 206TSI R-Line 4motion
    Before: MY14 Skoda Octavia VRS TDI Manual, MY10 Skoda Scout TDI manual

Users Country Flag
    I completely agree with what @snala said above... I was in the market for a Passat R 206, but after doing my research (and being annoyed by the fact that we can't get Dynaudio and some other options is AU) I decided to look at Skoda Superb 206 as it has all the options that I wanted and it ticked all the boxes (I bough a sedan, and the liftback boot space is amazing). I took a test drive and bought the next day, impressive build quality and I had deal I couldn't resist.
    As for the warranty and servicing, i have tried 3 dealerships in Sydney, one of them was soooo bad, another was really good. It depends on who you are dealing with on the day. I have also tried an independent workshop that was supposed to be honest and they stole the read ceramic brake pads instead of installing them.
    You have to check the horror stories with other brands. From my experience, the only exceptional brand with amazing after sale service was Lexus.
    Good luck.

Users Country Flag
    Congrats Vexed on the Superb! Can I ask what you ended up paying of your sedan? Did yo utick all the options?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_206 View Post
    Congrats Vexed on the Superb! Can I ask what you ended up paying of your sedan? Did yo utick all the options?

Yeah I got it fully loaded, with 5 years warranty, 3 years scheduled service and 3 years Tyre/rim insurance for $54K drive away.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Vexed View Post
    Yeah I got it fully loaded, with 5 years warranty, 3 years scheduled service and 3 years Tyre/rim insurance for $54K drive away.
    Thats awesome! Well done and congrats on the new car!