Thread: Discover Pro - USB In Broken

Discover Pro - USB In Broken

So the USB connection gave out on my system the other day. I get power to the port (charges the phone) but no USB connection. Have tried many phones and cables as well as a data stick loaded with MP3's and it's not transferring data.

Ran a scan and I get this on 5F

1637 - Interface for External Media
    U11B8 00 [008] - No Communications
    Interface for external media: status-Status: Open circuit

Has anyone else had trouble with media in on their USB port?

I'm going to take it to the dealer, but thought I would ask the forum to see if there are any reset tricks to save me taking it in.
    MY17 206 R-Line Passat Sedan, Pure White, Sunroof | Spectune STG1 | VWR 600 Intake, TMD, Inlet Elbow | Res Delete

MY 13 Tiguan 155TSI | Pepper Grey | DSG | Leather | RVC | RNS510 | ACC | 18" New York Wheels -SOLD

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynnston View Post

thought I would ask the forum to see if there are any reset tricks to save me taking it in.
    Wynnston: - So have you actually tried resetting your MIB unit? With the MIB switched-on, keep holding down the OFF/ON button until the unit switches-off, then switches-on again.

Don
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    Any outcome on this yet?
    Did the reset work?
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Quote Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
    Any outcome on this yet?
    Did the reset work?
    Nope. Unfortunately it looks like the USB port itself is cooked. Whilst the USB media in isn't a separate control unit like the MDI system in the past, it still has a special piece of circuitry in it, probably a DAC or a special chip that contains the decoding stuff for Carplay, so it's not really just a standard USB interface, which means it's a fragile little thing.

Whilst I haven't found anything that's exactly the same. I've found similar issues on the net where people short out their port accidentally and they have the same symptoms after. USB Data doesn't work but it still charges the device.

I suspect that my USB type C connector is a little dodgy and it's shorted some pins at the USB-C end (easy to do when the pins are so close together).
    Last edited by Wynnston; 03-09-2017 at 02:16 AM.
    MY17 206 R-Line Passat Sedan, Pure White, Sunroof | Spectune STG1 | VWR 600 Intake, TMD, Inlet Elbow | Res Delete

MY 13 Tiguan 155TSI | Pepper Grey | DSG | Leather | RVC | RNS510 | ACC | 18" New York Wheels -SOLD

So, problem is solved.

Part replaced was the USB socket itself. It has some sort of chip in it that was fried, it isn't just a simple USB port.

Part Number was 5Q0 035 726 E. It was ~ $100. It wasn't a warranty item because the cable I used was a dud and it shorted and killed the port.

To replace the port is easier than I initially thought. I thought you would have to take out the whole centre console. It turns out you can remove the rear vent part form the centre console and reach in to push out the USB/AUX port holder form the centre console. Once it's out, un-clip the part and pop the new one in.

I got the idea of accessing the port in the center console from this ECS video on a MK7.