Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Audio Upgrade Options - Help!!!

Users Country Flag

Audio Upgrade Options - Help!!!

We have basically decided to order a 206TSI wagon. We have been given a Highline wagon to test drive over the weekend to make sure car seats etc. fit and make a final decision.

The car is great (even with the 140TDI engine)... but I'm shocked at how bad the audio is! My GTI has the standard audio package... and I had no complaints with it. I ordered it with the standard package because our Lexus has the $3,000 Mark Levinson option... and I couldn't tell the difference between it and the regular Lexus package (so I'm no audiophile!). But... the Passat audio is AWFUL... no bass, no clarity and a cheap, tinny sound! I've spent 15 minutes playing around with it, but no luck.

If the Dynaudio was an option, I would definitely have fitted it, but it's not... so I need another solution. It's not a deal breaker as the car is pretty good (and I imagine it can only get better as a 206TSI) but I don't think I can live with the sound.

Does anyone have any options / ideas about how to upgrade the speakers and sound while retaining the head unit???
    Now - MY17 Passat 206TSI Wagon - Tungsten Silver | Sunroof

Previous - MY11.5 GTI 5Dr - Reflex Silver | DSG | ACC | Sat Nav | RVC | Bluetooth | MDI | 18" Detroits | Park Assist | Bi-Xenon's | Leather | Sunroof | R-Tails

Users Country Flag
    I read in the Tiguan section of the forum that VW Australia has dropped Dynaudio for all Australian deliveries as 'nobody ever ordered it as an option'. All other markets including the sheep shaggers in NZ get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    This could be an option for you; Passat Variant Plug-In Sound Upgrade Speaker Kits

Sounmatrix Speakers are Plug & Play and made in Germany!

I was about to put these speakers in an Opel Insignia that I once owned...but I sold it
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
    This could be an option for you; Passat Variant Plug-In Sound Upgrade Speaker Kits

Sounmatrix Speakers are Plug & Play and made in Germany!

I was about to put these speakers in an Opel Insignia that I once owned...but I sold it
    Cheers! This is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for! Do you happen to know what the Bass level is like with them... that's the biggest problem with the factory set-up. The higher registers sound OK with the car... so I was thinking of just adding a sub under the boot floor, but it's a hassle.

When I drove the GTI last night, I had the realisation the sound system was also pretty rubbish. I guess I was always just focused on other things...

Previous - MY11.5 GTI 5Dr - Reflex Silver | DSG | ACC | Sat Nav | RVC | Bluetooth | MDI | 18" Detroits | Park Assist | Bi-Xenon's | Leather | Sunroof | R-Tails

Users Country Flag
    You're still going to need an amp if you really want to change the system.
    The stock head unit just doesn't have the power to make upgrading the speakers worth it in my opinion.
    You'll have a better result installing an amp and driving the stock speakers (and even better again if you also replace the speakers).

That really sucks that VWA have decided not to offer the Dynaudio system as an option.
    I was hoping that in a few years there would be 206TSIs coming onto the second hand market with Dynaudio and digital display to replace my R36...
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    You're still going to need an amp if you really want to change the system.
    The stock head unit just doesn't have the power to make upgrading the speakers worth it in my opinion.
    You'll have a better result installing an amp and driving the stock speakers (and even better again if you also replace the speakers).

That really sucks that VWA have decided not to offer the Dynaudio system as an option.
    I was hoping that in a few years there would be 206TSIs coming onto the second hand market with Dynaudio and digital display to replace my R36...
    Thanks kamold!

If I'm honest, it's more the lack of bass I'm worried about. I've also been thinking of just installing something like this... Hideaway Powered Subwoofer | KICKERĀ® under the concealed boot section (it should fit, if I've measured correctly!), directly behind the seat instead of replacing all the speakers. I was hoping to power it from behind the 12v plug in the boot??? I figured since it's powered, it's got its own amp and I just need to find an audio source to tap into. I also like I turn the bass up and down remotely, so it can go up with I'm alone and down when the kids are in it.

Thoughts? I'd get an audio shop to do it... I'm not about to play around with a brand new car!
    Last edited by chopper; 28-09-2016 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Spelling!

Users Country Flag
    A powered sub might work for you, but you'd want to ideally have a controllable crossover so that you're able to control approximately what frequencies are being sent to the sub. Otherwise if you just split out the front audio signal to speakers and sub the bass signals are still going to be handled by the woofers in the front.
    A good set of woofers and amp often negate the need for a sub (totally depends on your preferences of course) such as the Dynaudio system in the B6/B7. With that said the B8 Dynaudio system has a sub as well, which is even better than not

I would go and talk to a reputable car audio installer, discuss your requirements and they will come up with something for you.

Don't just go to them with a particular piece of hardware in mind asking them to install it.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    A powered sub might work for you, but you'd want to ideally have a controllable crossover so that you're able to control approximately what frequencies are being sent to the sub. Otherwise if you just split out the front audio signal to speakers and sub the bass signals are still going to be handled by the woofers in the front.
    A good set of woofers and amp often negate the need for a sub (totally depends on your preferences of course) such as the Dynaudio system in the B6/B7. With that said the B8 Dynaudio system has a sub as well, which is even better than not

I would go and talk to a reputable car audio installer, discuss your requirements and they will come up with something for you.

Don't just go to them with a particular piece of hardware in mind asking them to install it.
    Great advice! Thanks, I appreciate it.

Ironically, I mostly listen to AM talkback... it's just for those times you need to blast a bit of music!

I may end up getting lazy (or cheap!) and just leave the factory system. As I said earlier, I thought it was much worse than the GTI, but on reflection, they're about the same... and I lived with it for 5 years.

VW Passat 3G B8 Variant Dynaudio Soundsystem Altoparlante Amplificatore | eBay

just going to leave this here

All you need are cables and coding which shouldn't be too difficult.

Im debating picking up just the speakers and an audiotech fischer amp (MATCH by Audiotec Fischer i already have this in my mk7 GTI and its quite an upgrade) and doing my own thing with the sub in the spare wheel well. After selling the sub/amp on ebay, buying a good sub and the audiotec fischer gear, i reckon you'd only be out of pocket the same amount as optioning dynaudio from the factory
    Last edited by Matt P; 06-10-2016 at 10:37 PM.
    9N3 Polo GTI - 91 MkII GTI - 16 B8 Passat 132tsi Comfortline
    Past - 14 MkVII GTI, 9n3 Polo GTI, Mk5 Golf GTI, Mk6 Golf 77tsi, Mk6 Golf 90tsi, Mk2 Golf GTI, Mk3 Golf VR6.
    Wanted: Mk1 GTI white or black

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY View Post
    I read in the Tiguan section of the forum that VW Australia has dropped Dynaudio for all Australian deliveries as 'nobody ever ordered it as an option'. All other markets including the sheep shaggers in NZ get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIARS! I ordered it on my MY12.5, well i ordered everything except the grandpa woodgrain option lol. It's **** because VW only need to enter a PR code and magic, your car gets the option in germany, same with paint.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast