Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Audio Upgrade Options - Help!!!

I have a my17 r line and carsales says it has a 8 speaker stereo but my count is

1 on the dash centre front
    3 in each forward door (6)
    2 in rear doors

9 my count ? Is the dash not counted as a speaker and maybe a sub?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Asahi1985 View Post
    I have a my17 r line and carsales says it has a 8 speaker stereo but my count is

2 in rear doors

9 my count ? Is the dash not counted as a speaker and maybe a sub?

The centre speaker part is empty. No speaker for AU delivered cars.

Also, another R-Line owner in Perth! Welcome. Do you just have an R-Line pack or do you have the 206 TSI?
    MY17 206 R-Line Passat Sedan, Pure White, Sunroof | Spectune STG1 | VWR 600 Intake, TMD, Inlet Elbow | Res Delete

MY 13 Tiguan 155TSI | Pepper Grey | DSG | Leather | RVC | RNS510 | ACC | 18" New York Wheels -SOLD

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Asahi1985 View Post

2 in rear doors

Centre is empty, front doors have 3-way speakers and rear have 2-way. So in total it is 10.

I am planning to upgrade the speakers. I am going to put 5-channel amp, a sub and change the front speakers. Still deciding between going 4-channel to the front speakers or 2-channel front and 2-channel rear.
    Last edited by rave75; 10-04-2017 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rave75 View Post
    Centre is empty, front doors have 3-way speakers and rear have 2-way. So in total it is 10.

I am planning to upgrade the speakers. I am going to put 5-channel amp, a sub and change the front speakers. Still deciding between going 4-channel to the front speakers or 2-channel front and 2-channel rear.
    I'd do the amp and sub first. You'd be surprised at how "ok" the front speakers are once they're going through a proper amp.
    MY17 206 R-Line Passat Sedan, Pure White, Sunroof | Spectune STG1 | VWR 600 Intake, TMD, Inlet Elbow | Res Delete

MY 13 Tiguan 155TSI | Pepper Grey | DSG | Leather | RVC | RNS510 | ACC | 18" New York Wheels -SOLD

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynnston View Post
    I'd do the amp and sub first. You'd be surprised at how "ok" the front speakers are once they're going through a proper amp.
    If you have the option to choose all the amp channel to front speakers or 2-channel front + 2-channel rear (going passive through the crossover), which one will you choose?

Quote Originally Posted by rave75 View Post
    If you have the option to choose all the amp channel to front speakers or 2-channel front + 2-channel rear (going passive through the crossover), which one will you choose?
    The latter.

Users Country Flag
    Can anyone share their completed audio upgrades? I have a 206TSI Wagon and am looking for some options.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by keepleft View Post
    Can anyone share their completed audio upgrades? I have a 206TSI Wagon and am looking for some options.
    I am about to install 6-channel Helix P Six MKII amp/dsp, Focal 2-way PS165FX (going active), rears stay stock, POLK DB1212 sub.

I've heard some speakers at an audio shop and personally I think PS165FX ($400) is the best at the price range (it won't an award too).

Helix P six got good reviews and award too. It is an amp and dsp combo, awesome spec, much better than Kicker IQ1000.5 and the price is similar.

I'm not really fussy about sub, I picked POLK DB1212 just because it comes with an enclosure and cost me $200 brand new.

Current: MY16 132TSI | Luxury | R-Line
    MY14 C250 W205 | Command | Vision | Exclusive | Seat Comfort
    MY13 A200 W176 | Command | Vision | Exclusive | Seat Comfort

Users Country Flag
    Thought I'd add to this thread as I too am doing research on the best audio upgrade path for the B8 Discovery Pro sound system. I took the front passenger door card off to see what the internals look like - Pics at the link below if anyone finds ths useful...

VWWatercooled Images < - Image Gallery Page 1

It appears the AU configuration is a 6.5in "full range" with a tweeter that also shares the same full range "signal" and high passed through a electrolytic cap in parallel (a very common configuraion in standard car audio setups). There is no mid-range like the Dynaudio setup. I am almost certain the rear door speaker configuration is exactly the same. I would therefore deduce that the factory head unit's (the CD drive in the glovebox) built in amp outputs 4 channels - LF, RF, LR, RR in "full range". This also aligns with VW's advertising that the Discovery Pro has 8 speakers. Based on some other MK 7 Golf forums, I also think the Discovery Pro has internal EQ built in to accomodate the factory speakers (although I am unable to verify this)!
    Last edited by Pantera6; 28-09-2017 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Added pic link

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Pantera6 View Post
    I would therefore deduce that the factory head unit's (the CD drive in the glovebox) built in amp outputs 4 channels - LF, RF, LR, RR in "full range".!
    Yes, there are 4 x 20 watt of high level outputs from the factory head unit. I put an external amplifier/dsp that has high-level inputs and it works flawlessly.

Current: MY16 132TSI | Luxury | R-Line
    MY14 C250 W205 | Command | Vision | Exclusive | Seat Comfort
    MY13 A200 W176 | Command | Vision | Exclusive | Seat Comfort

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast