Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 206TSI looses by default

206TSI looses by default

So the ultimate wisdom of the Center for road safety in NSW has deemed the 206TSI unsafe for a p plater to drive. Both the sedan and estate come under the 130kw per tonne limit as well as not having excessive torque.

So a vehicle that is under the power to weight ratio allowed, all wheel drive, has more airbags and safety features than you can poke a stick at is unsafe for a p plater..... but a holden sv6 that has the same power to weight ratio (give or take a kw), is rear wheel drive, does not have the safety features that the 206 has, can be bought with a limited slip diff and a manual gear box is deemed safe for p platers.... do you see p platers doing burnouts in their 65k awd passat or their 40k rwd commondore?

Yet again the government amazes me, it is in the rms clause as to what the reasons are a vehicle will be deemed unsafe.... and the 206tsi ticks none of them..... oh and i forgot, every single other state or territory has deemed it SAFE.....

I may be the only p plater wanting a passat 206tsi but its what i like and what will suit me and my young family best. I am very annoyed lol. Waiting on a call back from the center for road safety as to why and how this was clasified unsafe

Users Country Flag
    I thought things got better when they did away with the arbitrary "turbo's are bad" with the power to weight thing... seems the insanity continues. You can always try applying for an exemption?

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

So is the Tiguan 162TSI R-line looking a better proposition now then??

Or perhaps the 140TDI.... lol
    Last edited by tigger73; 16-09-2016 at 09:36 PM.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    So is the Tiguan 162TSI R-line looking a better proposition now then??

Or perhaps the 140TDI.... lol
    Haha, this would be correct indeed. The 162 if i can be guaranteed delivery before april if not then the 140. I was leaning more towards the 206 which is a shame .

Hawk, i was told by the rms that in order for me to get an exemption, i would have to own the vehicle and have to have a genuine reason..... even the its not a sure thing i would get it. So a bit of a risk

I'd say it would be a big risk to buy the 206TSI and then hope to get the approval. At the end of the day it's up to how the person doing the assessment feels on the day...

I think the rules are more to allow family members to drive a family car rather than if you're going out and purchasing something for yourself. They would be well within the rules to force you to sell the car and buy something "P" plate approved. About the only way I could see it happening is if you lived at with your parents and/or with someone that was on a full license and the car was registered in their name.

The 162TSI Tiguan is still a very nice car - not quite as quick as the 206TSI Passat but with the R-line kit looks pretty killer.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    You got long to wait till you come of your P's? Really need the car change ASAP? Wouldn't you be paying a hell of an insurance premium to get cover for a 206 while on P's?
    2012 Superb Elegance TSI Sedan- Candy White - Bog Standard!

Quote Originally Posted by notflyingscot View Post
    You got long to wait till you come of your P's? Really need the car change ASAP? Wouldn't you be paying a hell of an insurance premium to get cover for a 206 while on P's?
    Coming off a very long disqualification so i have to start green ps again, so 2 years. Insurance goes in my partners name and im down as a driver. Cheap as chips. Plus we get a bit of a discount because we will have 6 policies when i get it.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Fridgie877 View Post
    Coming off a very long disqualification so i have to start green ps again, so 2 years. Insurance goes in my partners name and im down as a driver. Cheap as chips. Plus we get a bit of a discount because we will have 6 policies when i get it.
    Hopefully you will reveal your driving history as you should and not rort the system. To get insurance in partners name it would have to be registered as such as well I would think.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Hopefully you will reveal your driving history as you should and not rort the system. To get insurance in partners name it would have to be registered as such as well I would think.
    Not a rort, it will be in her name because her brother is sales manager at a vw dealership so she will get it at cost price, and i will be down as the main driver.

Users Country Flag

You are expecting logic from a Govt Department?
    Bockey
    2023 Tiguan R Driver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast