Thread: Which wire goes where?

Which wire goes where?

The brake lights on my trailer work, but when I hook up my car (2008 VW R36 B6) using the trailer cable, it has an error saying trailer "brake lights not working", and evidently they don't. I have tested the trailer brake lights on my cousins R36, and they work fine.

So just before buying another cable, I decided to inspect my cable to see if there were any loose connections. And alas, it appears two of the wires are loose: the Red and the Brown.

A quick Google seems to inform me that the red wire is the brake lights. The question I have is which hole do I feed it in? And same for the Brown wire.

Here are pics:
    Dropbox - Photo 16-9-17, 6 38 38 pm.jpg

Dropbox - Photo 16-9-17, 6 39 00 pm.jpg

Dropbox - Photo 16-9-17, 6 39 11 pm.jpg

Dropbox - Photo 16-9-17, 6 39 19 pm.jpg

I hope just connecting up the wires to the correct place will do the trick! Much appreciated!
    Last edited by hamish88; 16-09-2017 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Added additional photos

Users Country Flag
    Well whowever wired that up needs a very large kick in the appropriate place The black wire is a mess for a start The exposed wire on the red and brown looks to long as well. The usual reason this happens is because some one hasnt tightened the screws enough or the user pulls it off using the cable instead of the plug, or both.

Look here where you can see what is what in different plugs 6 pin trailer plug wiring diagram australia - Google Search

Or here if its a 7 pin
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 16-09-2017 at 08:48 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    That's a 13-pin Euro one. Needs to be wired up as such, otherwise the adaptor harness won't work the lights correctly.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    That's a 13-pin Euro one. Needs to be wired up as such, otherwise the adaptor harness won't work the lights correctly.
    Google works for that as well13 pin euro plug wiring diagram - Google Search

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Thanks HIllbilly - but it still doesn't make sense to me. There is only 5 holes, yet 7 wires - so clearly some holes have 2 wires in them?

As you can see from the pictures i posted, there is a smaller circle, with the wires connected, then an outer circle with no wires currently connected. Because the length of wires is all exactly the same, It would appear that all wires are to go in the inner circle, and thus some of them double up.

So the question is: which coloured wires from my photos go into which corresponding hole. They are numbered, so you can tell me where the Red and Brown wires are supposed to go in which numbered hole.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by hamish88 View Post
    Thanks HIllbilly - but it still doesn't make sense to me. There is only 5 holes, yet 7 wires - so clearly some holes have 2 wires in them?

As you can see from the pictures i posted, there is a smaller circle, with the wires connected, then an outer circle with no wires currently connected. Because the length of wires is all exactly the same, It would appear that all wires are to go in the inner circle, and thus some of them double up.

So the question is: which coloured wires from my photos go into which corresponding hole. They are numbered, so you can tell me where the Red and Brown wires are supposed to go in which numbered hole.

How do I cut off the 13 pin female euro trailer and put on my own 7 pin? [Archive] - AusAmarok - Volkswagen Amarok Forum of Australia & New Zealand Have a read here Im not quite sure what you are trying to do but red is Brake lights and brown is marker lights

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    How do I cut off the 13 pin female euro trailer and put on my own 7 pin? [Archive] - AusAmarok - Volkswagen Amarok Forum of Australia & New Zealand Have a read here Im not quite sure what you are trying to do but red is Brake lights and brown is marker lights
    That's all fixed now. Thanks very much for your help!