Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warning Triangle Retrofit - what I learned + photos

Users Country Flag

Warning Triangle Retrofit - what I learned + photos

I’ve just completed a retrofit of the safety warning triangle on the underside of the boot lid on an early B6 Passat.

I started with the triangle 3C5 860 251 and the plastic mounting bracket from a Passat CC that was being wrecked. I soon discovered that the bracket holding the triangle is different between a B6 and CC. The B6 uses part 3C5 860 285 with a hinged flap that holds the triangle after a twist lock is rotated 90 degrees. The CC uses part 3C8 860 285 that utilises a fixed spring clip. See front and rear view in these photos.

After lifting the sound insulation under the boot lid, it was obvious I could not use the CC bracket without cutting new holes in the boot lid as the B6 boot lid’s holes were in different places and were different shapes. After obtaining the correct bracket 3C5 860 285, it was just a case of cutting rectangular holes in the insulation to reveal the holes in the boot lid. When cutting, it’s advisable to hold the insulation away from the boot lid to avoid cutting through the paintwork and risking rust later. See photo.

In the CC the top of the plastic mounting bracket engages with the metal of the boot lid – see photo.

However it looked like the top of the B6 mounting bracket only engages with the sound insulation. I cut a slot for this. Possibly because the top of the bracket is not held onto the metal of the boot lid plus some other design features, some forum members who have already done this retrofit reported that the bracket would not hold the weight of the triangle and fell off. There's a thread somewhere on this, but I could not find it.

They said they needed to use a larger self-tapper screw. I’m starting with the genuine screw N90 698 606. I’ll see how it goes. So far so good. Hopefully it will hold the weight. One downside is the gas strut that lifts the boot lid now has to lift a heavier weight and is less effective. Finished result is shown below.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Warning Triangle Retrofit - what I learned + photos-cc-jpg   Warning Triangle Retrofit - what I learned + photos-b6-after-holes-cut-jpg  

Warning Triangle Retrofit - what I learned + photos-rear-view-jpg   Warning Triangle Retrofit - what I learned + photos-front-view-jpg  

Warning Triangle Retrofit - what I learned + photos-finished-b6-jpg  
    Last edited by The_Hawk; 10-08-2016 at 08:36 AM.
    2007 Passat B6 3.2 litre V6 4Motion | Granite Grey | standard 17" Solitude wheels | tow bar
    Mods: R36 steering wheel | HP DQ250 DSG tune | HPA Haldex performance controller | Koni sports yellow shocks | Eibach springs | H&R sway bars | Whiteline ALK | Kufatec E-MFA add on | Garage door button | Warning triangle retrofit | Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE003s

Users Country Flag
    That's some nice work. It also reminds me that my Golf Cabriolet has the cutout for a triangle, but no triangle. It's one of those little touches that the average person would never notice, but an enthusiast appreciates (and it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy).

This might just inspire me to have another look for the 'missing' parts.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Morning,
    I have fitted one to my 2007 TDI Passat some time back, like you, discovered that the bracket from a CC would not fit, but the warning triangle is the same. was able to buy the bracket and screw from VW's. The warning triangle from a B5 will not fit either, I know, I have one that I brought first up, folded up, it is twice the height of a B6 warning triangle.
    When my wife's Nissan had a flat tyre on a dark section of road, the first thing I did was to open the boot and put my warning triangle out, my wife just rolled her eyes, safety first, I said.
    Peter.

Users Country Flag
    Back in 2010 on our first trip with our new Van we got a flat overnight at the hotel we were staying at (thanks to a nail from the construction going on down the street).

I don't know if my wife rolled her eyes harder at me setting up the safety triangle in the carpark or then backing up to take a photo of it

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    That's some nice work. It also reminds me that my Golf Cabriolet has the cutout for a triangle, but no triangle. It's one of those little touches that the average person would never notice, but an enthusiast appreciates (and it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy).

The installation does make the car feel more 'complete'. If the cutout wasn't there, I wouldn't care too much as I used to carry 2 warning triangles in a plastic bin in the boot anyway. However having the cutout but no triangle, just screams out to the world "My car is the cheap base model with bits deleted to get the cost down!".
    2007 Passat B6 3.2 litre V6 4Motion | Granite Grey | standard 17" Solitude wheels | tow bar
    Mods: R36 steering wheel | HP DQ250 DSG tune | HPA Haldex performance controller | Koni sports yellow shocks | Eibach springs | H&R sway bars | Whiteline ALK | Kufatec E-MFA add on | Garage door button | Warning triangle retrofit | Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE003s

Users Country Flag
    Well done mate!
    Here is a link to a thread I started over 7yrs ago (been through a few cars since then...); RE: Safety Warning Traingle

I don't think that your car screams out "cheap" in anyway...
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    Maybe my next step in 'installing the missing bits' should be to identify what parts are designed to occupy the spare cutouts in the boot foam moulding that holds the jack?
    Tyre inflator? Pressure can? 12V pump? First aid kit?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Warning Triangle Retrofit - what I learned + photos-boot-tools-jpg  

Thread revive.

Could I ask where you sourced a replacement B6/B7 clip from?
    Golf mk7 parts for sale.

I ordered the bracket and screw from my local VW dealer. They had to be ordered in. Can't remember where the parts came from (Singapore or Germany) or how long I had to wait. Time wasn't important for a project like this.

Users Country Flag

Great pics and great write-up: obviously a perfectionist (I say that in the nicest possible way!)

I have a 2009 Passat CC. The bracket broke off and then got lost (safety triangle in perfect condition)! I would like to find the correct bracket and have everything looking 100% again - I think (as long as it's the right bracket) the bracket can just be pressed into the holes on the underside of the boot lid. Was the dealer pricey? Maybe I'll check out alibaba or aliexpress and see if I can find it - just have to be sure on that part number.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast