Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VW Passat R36 DRL Installation Video - Aliexpress DRL

Users Country Flag

VW Passat R36 DRL Installation Video - Aliexpress DRL

Hi all, so I bought the Aliexpress OSRAM DRL LEDs for my R36 wagon and managed to do the install without any trouble. Shout outs to AJ Oakes and Charles Blades for your help and recommendations on best approach. I wanted to make a step by step video to help anyone else who is planning on installing these DRLs as the instructions are a bit light on. I did buy the dimming option version of the DRL but haven’t tapped into the headlight yet so for now they will stay 100% lit and not dim. This is literally a step by step video, and filmed while doing the install so the camera work does get dodgy! I hope it helps. The initial fuse I mention near the start of the video is not the one to use, so make sure you watch to the end! Check the video descriptions for parts list and where to buy everything needed.

YouTube

DRL link
    Online Shop eOsuns for VW Passat B6 R36 3C led drl daytime running light with auto dim/OFF control + turn light + on/off switch super bright | Aliexpress Mobile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Toine888; 24-03-2018 at 08:26 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Great work!
    In case you see moisture in the light in the future, it's more likely the grey housing has cracked, silicone glue can fix that.
    2018 BMW 125i M Sport |AlpineWhite|719M JetBlack|BlackLeather |ComfortPackage|Sunroof|WirelessCharging
    2010 MY10 R36 Wagon | Biscay Blue | Power Tailgate | RNS510 | MDI | RVC | 51,000 km |Garage Open Button | Dead Pedal Mod | OE Fit DRL | VCDS | Sprint Booster | H&R Rear Sway Bar | Alcantara Steering Wheel | Dual Reverse Light | 19" Bentley Wheels (BBS Forged Split) | Michelin PS 4S
    2005 MY05 AH Astra HatchBlack | Facelifted SRi Looking | OpeliZed | Whiteline RSB | Eibach ProKit

Users Country Flag
    Thanks for sharing
    One of the better cosmetic mods available for our cars.
    The way they should have come from the factory in my opinion...
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Good post Lights on sale in 3 days down to 124 USD so about 160 AUD from your link.

Users Country Flag
    Great post!

Do these replace the parking lights?
    2009 Volkswagen R36 Wagon
    1968 Audi F103 75L Coupe
    1966 Volkswagen Beetle Deluxe

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-1.8T View Post
    Great post!

Do these replace the parking lights?
    No, they replace the indicators.
    The parking lights are still in the headlamp assemblies. They still work the same as before.
    So in normal operation you only have the new DRL operating, which turn the side off that has the indicator on.
    Then when parkers or headlights are on, the new DRL dim by 50%.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    i tapped the dimming function into the parker bulb. Didn't want to go near the high voltage of the HID's.
    2013 Touareg V8TDi - Black, LED Interior Mods, LED Projector "VW" Door Courtesy Lights, 20" VW Mountain Rims with A/T Tyres, Pioneer SX Roof Platform with some 4x4 accessories and a whole lotta torque

Finally bit the bullet and ordered mine. Was gutted when my original order was cancelled and had to reorder to find out AliExpress was charging GST. Ended up contacting the seller and getting them for $115 USD, which worked out to $126.50 USD inc GST. Can't complain, was annoyed cash rewards was no longer 10% though

Quote Originally Posted by snerlo View Post
    i tapped the dimming function into the parker bulb. Didn't want to go near the high voltage of the HID's.
    Question around installation, when you say you tapped it in, did you splice the actual cable and solder it; or is there a fuse for the parkers which you used a add a fuse? Thanks

Users Country Flag

DRL DImming & Parker Wire tap

Quote Originally Posted by pandas View Post
    Question around installation, when you say you tapped it in, did you splice the actual cable and solder it; or is there a fuse for the parkers which you used a add a fuse? Thanks

Hey guys I am also interested in this question - i only got Chinese instructions.

The loom has 3 wires (Red, Black & Green)
    I assume Red is 12V constant?? or Ignit?? & Blk= Earth??

Green wire no idea - possibly +12V from the parker light?

I'd love if you could confirm that and also tell us all what colour wire and where you found the tap for the parker light.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast