Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Timing belt change for my 2011 Passat

Users Country Flag

FWIW I found the contitech timing belt waterpump kit part number for the CFG based TDI engines

Online guide – Belt drive components for the automotive aftermarket – ContiTech AG

Timing belt change for my 2011 Passat-vw-jpg

An ebay seller has listed this for $275 AUD delivered, with 10% off ebay tomorrow it should be $250 AU or thereabouts.

Considering I'd seen omeone mention a SKF timing belt and pump kit was over $500 locally this is pretty good value
    Last edited by drjekl; 07-05-2018 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jagimc View Post
    Hey guys,

I recently purchased a 2011 Passat with 137ks on the odometer. Now have driven upto 139ks

I stupidly assumed that the timing belt would have been changed at around 100ks but I can't find any record of it in the log book.

Is there any way to check this apart from the log book, previous owner had left the country, unable to contact him?

Do you have any recommendations for a good mechanic who can do this in Sydney and how much will it cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know this sounds odd but I can relate to it, VW recommend the beltto be changed at 210ks, unless the car has been in extreme conditions e.g.Fuels containing sulphur, long periods of idling high dust levels, towing, stopand go traffic, driving in winter conditions…(that's the double edge sword).From my experience these engines are designed to go up to 210ks withoutchanging it and I have seen it with my own eyes living in Europe, think justabout the winter conditions -10,-20 degrees and these engines withstand thateach year, plus the traffic and road conditions..totally different to what wehave here in Australia, population is much more dense, traffic is much morecrowded, road conditions are not the best etc..

I'm not saying not to change it but I caught out mechanics tellingme it needs to be changed at 115ks others at 105ks, there is not a set intervalthat they can tell me it needs to be changed at other than looking in theservice schedule from VW. That’s the issue I found, some just want your moneyand scare you about it because they know not many people have the knowledgeabout the cars…

Just some food for thought…

Users Country Flag
    That's nice, except the water pump will probably crap the bed somewhere around the 100K mark, like they all tend to do.

The correct timing belt replacement interval for the Australian market is 105,000km/7 years. It is stated on their service schedule (not the book), and has been in place for a number of years now.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Interesting to know what they mean by Australian Market, maybe just a way of protecting the market here.. and keeping the ball rolling

Overseas market where these cars originate from says 210ks.. hard for me to decide which side to be on here

Users Country Flag
    I stick to what's relevent to the Australian market, because that's how they're sold, warranted and marketed.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by PassatB7 View Post
    Interesting to know what they mean by Australian Market, maybe just a way of protecting the market here.. and keeping the ball rolling

Overseas market where these cars originate from says 210ks.. hard for me to decide which side to be on here
    I’ve done many t.belts and can tell you that, I’d be very nervous passing 150,000km on the original belt (if the water pump lasts). Probably not many in EU with high mileage where people drive much shorter distances and not many keep the car for as long as we do in Australia.

Other thing to consider is, if you keep your car for longer and want to sell it with over 100,000km, buyers often are aware of the need to replace timing belt at manufacturers recommend intervals and prefer the car with a good service record....

Users Country Flag

FWIW this is the part number & item I purchased:

Timing belt change for my 2011 Passat-vw1-jpg

Interestingly the seller upped their price for shipping and amended the listing. It may have been incorrect (seems like I got the postage for European cost even though listing stated they'd ship to Australia)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123