Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Snerlo's R36 DRL Mk2 Installation

Users Country Flag

Snerlo's R36 DRL Mk2 Installation

Well I got me an updated DRL set that replaces the blinkers and looks OEM. Found these online and wished that they had been around about six months ago when I did an install for my first DRL's that I bought (can be seen in the first pic). Installation was relatively easy. I decided that I would try and remove the grill. Was a little nerve racking at first but in the end it was quite easy. Just have to remember to pop out the two parking sensors rather than disconnecting them. It was a little tight but once you have them out it is all smooth sailing from there. For those trying for the first time, the grill inserts on the two sides might be a little tricky but they have two screws and then they are just clipped in. The blinker has one screw at the front underneath. The only wiring needed for this is a switched power from an ignition style fuse, and a lead from the positive side of the parkers so that they dim when the headlights come on. Apart from that, they are all simply just plug and go. Really easy. Zip ties are you friend here too! Here are some pics. No comments about how dirty she is either. She's getting a bath over the weekend!!
    Ask any questions if you have any.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snerlo's R36 DRL Mk2 Installation-image001_ext-jpg   Snerlo's R36 DRL Mk2 Installation-image002_ext-jpg  

Snerlo's R36 DRL Mk2 Installation-image003_ext-jpg   Snerlo's R36 DRL Mk2 Installation-image004_ext-jpg  

Snerlo's R36 DRL Mk2 Installation-image005_ext-jpg   Snerlo's R36 DRL Mk2 Installation-image006_ext-jpg  

Snerlo's R36 DRL Mk2 Installation-image007_ext-jpg   Snerlo's R36 DRL Mk2 Installation-image008_ext-jpg  

2013 Touareg V8TDi - Black, LED Interior Mods, LED Projector "VW" Door Courtesy Lights, 20" VW Mountain Rims with A/T Tyres, Pioneer SX Roof Platform with some 4x4 accessories and a whole lotta torque

Users Country Flag
    Nice one!

I'm most of the way through my install.
    Although I ordered the dimming version, I got sent the version which turns off the DRL when the blinker on that side is on.
    Can't be bothered pulling them back out now that they are in though, so will just have to live with it.

I found the sides of the bumper a royal pain in the proverbial to get on and off but otherwise as you said its fairly straight forward.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Geez, you removed grill to install...

A little mod can make the wiring loom to extend longer so it can run over the radiator.

Don't connect to the parker as when you turn the ignition on both Parker and DRL will blink.
    2018 BMW 125i M Sport |AlpineWhite|719M JetBlack|BlackLeather |ComfortPackage|Sunroof|WirelessCharging
    2010 MY10 R36 Wagon | Biscay Blue | Power Tailgate | RNS510 | MDI | RVC | 51,000 km |Garage Open Button | Dead Pedal Mod | OE Fit DRL | VCDS | Sprint Booster | H&R Rear Sway Bar | Alcantara Steering Wheel | Dual Reverse Light | 19" Bentley Wheels (BBS Forged Split) | Michelin PS 4S
    2005 MY05 AH Astra HatchBlack | Facelifted SRi Looking | OpeliZed | Whiteline RSB | Eibach ProKit

Users Country Flag
    I left the grill in the bumper also. There are mounts that the headlight washer pipes are attached to that I zip tied the cables to.

I also took the opportunity to put some 6000k Philips Xenarc HID capsules in.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    To intall these DRLs, there is no need to remove grill or bumper, unless you want to take the opportunity to do other stuff.

How's the 6000K going? Anyone changed cornering H7? Thinking about replacing the last yellow bit in the headlight.
    2018 BMW 125i M Sport |AlpineWhite|719M JetBlack|BlackLeather |ComfortPackage|Sunroof|WirelessCharging
    2010 MY10 R36 Wagon | Biscay Blue | Power Tailgate | RNS510 | MDI | RVC | 51,000 km |Garage Open Button | Dead Pedal Mod | OE Fit DRL | VCDS | Sprint Booster | H&R Rear Sway Bar | Alcantara Steering Wheel | Dual Reverse Light | 19" Bentley Wheels (BBS Forged Split) | Michelin PS 4S
    2005 MY05 AH Astra HatchBlack | Facelifted SRi Looking | OpeliZed | Whiteline RSB | Eibach ProKit

Users Country Flag
    Would be pretty fiddly I'd imagine installing the cabling with bumper on?

I like the 6000ks. Installed them in the Octy first. They do take a few seconds to come up to full brightness, but I do prefer the look of them. Look like the latest mercs etc.

Have Philips Crystal vision in the H7 turning lights.
    Filaments be gone!
    Just need to do the vanity lights, and the reverse and stop lamps then I'll be all led all the time (except for the turning lights )

I thought this was going to be a r36 powered mk2

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Yeah, there's no need to remove the bumper. Just the grill. It is relatively easy. I did actually have my first DRL wiring running through the top of the grill just in front of the radiator but the wiring loom that comes with this set comes in a plastic sheath so i wanted to keep that on so that it protected the wiring a little. All in all, really easy mod. Now that the blinkers are LED's, the only filament bulb i have in the car is over the rear cargo area as im waiting on the LED festoon bulb to come. Once that is here, LEd's all the way baby!!
    2013 Touareg V8TDi - Black, LED Interior Mods, LED Projector "VW" Door Courtesy Lights, 20" VW Mountain Rims with A/T Tyres, Pioneer SX Roof Platform with some 4x4 accessories and a whole lotta torque

Quote Originally Posted by Passat R36 View Post
    Geez, you removed grill to install...

A little mod can make the wiring loom to extend longer so it can run over the radiator.

Don't connect to the parker as when you turn the ignition on both Parker and DRL will blink.

Not needed mate, trust me. The DRL is only connected to two wires. One is to a switched power, and the other is to the parker wire to make it dim when the parkers/headlights come on. They don't blink. When you turn the blinkers on, say the drivers side, then the drivers side DRL turns off and the blinker LED's flash. When It has finished blinking and is turned off, the DRL turns back on. While this is happening, the passenger side stays lit up.

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    Nice one!

I'm most of the way through my install.
    Although I ordered the dimming version, I got sent the version which turns off the DRL when the blinker on that side is on.
    Can't be bothered pulling them back out now that they are in though, so will just have to live with it.

I found the sides of the bumper a royal pain in the proverbial to get on and off but otherwise as you said its fairly straight forward.
    Mine turns off on the side that the blinker is working on mate. Mine only dim when the headlights are turned on. They still turn off on the side you put the blinker on!

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast