Thread: Reversing Camera for Passat Wagon - Chinese option?

Users Country Flag

Reversing Camera for Passat Wagon - Chinese option?

I'm wanting to put a camera on my Passat - I've done a bit of research and confirmed my RCD510 is the Bosch unit with the yellow plug in the rear.
    I like the idea of the flip up badge camera, but OEM units are ridiculously expensive. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the Chinese units that can be had for about $120 USD? It's still a lot of cash to put into a camera and I want to think it will last a while. Obviously it needs to be a RGB cam and I will get the correct loom, also from China.

Camera For VW Badge Logo Smart Flip Rear Car View Reversing Trunk Handle Camera For VW universal Golf 6 Passat cc B7 Magotan Beetle-in Vehicle Camera from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
    Last edited by Singlemalt72; 19-03-2018 at 08:11 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Make sure there is pre-cut out behind tailgate VW badge to fit the flip up badge camera before your purchase.
    My R36 does not have it, not sure able your model.
    2018 BMW 125i M Sport |AlpineWhite|719M JetBlack|BlackLeather |ComfortPackage|Sunroof|WirelessCharging
    2010 MY10 R36 Wagon | Biscay Blue | Power Tailgate | RNS510 | MDI | RVC | 51,000 km |Garage Open Button | Dead Pedal Mod | OE Fit DRL | VCDS | Sprint Booster | H&R Rear Sway Bar | Alcantara Steering Wheel | Dual Reverse Light | 19" Bentley Wheels (BBS Forged Split) | Michelin PS 4S
    2005 MY05 AH Astra HatchBlack | Facelifted SRi Looking | OpeliZed | Whiteline RSB | Eibach ProKit

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I'll check - but I have no problems cutting out the recess hole if need be.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlemalt72 View Post
    I'm wanting to put a camera on my Passat - I've done a bit of research and confirmed my RCD510 is the Bosch unit with the yellow plug in the rear.
    I like the idea of the flip up badge camera, but OEM units are ridiculously expensive. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the Chinese units that can be had for about $120 USD? It's still a lot of cash to put into a camera and I want to think it will last a while. Obviously it needs to be a RGB cam and I will get the correct loom, also from China.

Camera For VW Badge Logo Smart Flip Rear Car View Reversing Trunk Handle Camera For VW universal Golf 6 Passat cc B7 Magotan Beetle-in Vehicle Camera from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
    A wagon uses this type of camera and you probably need a proper one to get the right connections and also you car probably hasnt got the steering angle sensors to give the swivelling lines as you reverse

Volkswagen Handle Reversing Camera Tiguan Jetta Golf Wagon OEM Genuine 5N0827566 | eBay

Or this Aerpro G153VS Volkswagen wagon Reverse Camera passat/golf 2010 PAL CCD cam | eBay
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 19-03-2018 at 02:41 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag

I've seen it done. You need to cut out the hole in the boot and you also need to cut out the mounting bracket from a wreck as it's welded to the metal.
    The end result looks good but I'm not sure it's worth the extra effort over the factory boot handle:
    Камера заднего вида от VW CC в значке Varianta B6 — бортжурнал Volkswagen Passat Red line 2008 года на DRIVE2
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500