Thread: Rear brake pads replacement

Users Country Flag

Rear brake pads replacement

I'm about to replace my rear brake pads. I have VCDS to wind back the electronic park brake. My question is: some instructions/guides recommend the use of a battery charger and others do not. I've even found two different Ross-Tech guides where one mentions a battery charger and the other does not. I've found many 'how to' videos on YouTube and not one of them used a battery charger.

However Ross-Tech Wiki says the following: "The EPB module is very sensitive to low voltage conditions! It is critical that a battery charger is properly connected and used for the duration of the rear brake job."

I've never connected a charger to the battery while the battery was still connected to the car as I don't want to run the risk of frying delicate electronics. Who has and who hasn't used a battery charger when changing rear pads?
    Last edited by 3C4M Guy; 12-05-2018 at 09:44 PM.
    2007 Passat B6 3.2 litre V6 4Motion | Granite Grey | standard 17" Solitude wheels | tow bar
    Mods: R36 steering wheel | HP DQ250 DSG tune | HPA Haldex performance controller | Koni sports yellow shocks | Eibach springs | H&R sway bars | Whiteline ALK | Kufatec E-MFA add on | Garage door button | Warning triangle retrofit | Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE003s

Users Country Flag
    have not changed the rear pads yet,but I don't see the issue connecting a charger to the battery in the car. I always use ctek charger to charge the battery when it is still connected to the car. Has not fried anything yet at least.
    Last edited by Passat R36; 12-05-2018 at 11:59 PM.
    2018 BMW 125i M Sport |AlpineWhite|719M JetBlack|BlackLeather |ComfortPackage|Sunroof|WirelessCharging
    2010 MY10 R36 Wagon | Biscay Blue | Power Tailgate | RNS510 | MDI | RVC | 51,000 km |Garage Open Button | Dead Pedal Mod | OE Fit DRL | VCDS | Sprint Booster | H&R Rear Sway Bar | Alcantara Steering Wheel | Dual Reverse Light | 19" Bentley Wheels (BBS Forged Split) | Michelin PS 4S
    2005 MY05 AH Astra HatchBlack | Facelifted SRi Looking | OpeliZed | Whiteline RSB | Eibach ProKit

Users Country Flag
    I don't use one, but then again, I don't leave the headlights on and the radio blaring either whilst changing the pads.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    After reading the Ross-Tech warning about following their procedures EXACTLY when using VCDS for the EPB retract and reset, I decided to connect up a battery charger. Then if something went wrong, I could eliminate that as a cause. I possibly should have connected the charger to the positive terminal under the bonnet that's used for jump starting, but I connected straight onto the battery. All went well.

The only anxious moment I had was at the end after resetting the EPB and disconnecting VCDS, I couldn't release the parking brake. No amount of pushing the button worked. It took me a while to realise that I wasn't pushing hard enough on the brake pedal at the same time.

After changing the pads, I'd pumped up the brake pedal rather vigorously with a lot of pressure and the brake pedal now needed an equivalent hard pressure to release the EPB! I'll make a note for next time.
    2007 Passat B6 3.2 litre V6 4Motion | Granite Grey | standard 17" Solitude wheels | tow bar
    Mods: R36 steering wheel | HP DQ250 DSG tune | HPA Haldex performance controller | Koni sports yellow shocks | Eibach springs | H&R sway bars | Whiteline ALK | Kufatec E-MFA add on | Garage door button | Warning triangle retrofit | Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE003s

Users Country Flag
    Thanks for sharing! Will re-visit your post when I need to change mine.

Also some battery charger has Supply Mode which I think will be useful when you change your battery.
    2018 BMW 125i M Sport |AlpineWhite|719M JetBlack|BlackLeather |ComfortPackage|Sunroof|WirelessCharging
    2010 MY10 R36 Wagon | Biscay Blue | Power Tailgate | RNS510 | MDI | RVC | 51,000 km |Garage Open Button | Dead Pedal Mod | OE Fit DRL | VCDS | Sprint Booster | H&R Rear Sway Bar | Alcantara Steering Wheel | Dual Reverse Light | 19" Bentley Wheels (BBS Forged Split) | Michelin PS 4S
    2005 MY05 AH Astra HatchBlack | Facelifted SRi Looking | OpeliZed | Whiteline RSB | Eibach ProKit

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by 3C4M Guy View Post
    After reading the Ross-Tech warning about following their procedures EXACTLY when using VCDS for the EPB retract and reset, I decided to connect up a battery charger. Then if something went wrong, I could eliminate that as a cause. I possibly should have connected the charger to the positive terminal under the bonnet that's used for jump starting, but I connected straight onto the battery. All went well.
    You can connect directly to the battery, however not recommended. The battery will be fine but you might get error codes from the regeneration system if your car has one. I replaced the rear pads a while ago, connected the charger to the +tv terminal in the engine bay. My car's battery is in the boot. All went well.

The only thing that got me while replacing the rear pads; to get VCDS to operate the hand brakes, they needed to be released using the buttons inside the car first.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I would recommend this Ross-Tech video. It's worth saving as a favourite for when the time comes to do the rear brakes.

YouTube

Users Country Flag
    The bolts are M14 spline, or triple-square
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by 3C4M Guy View Post
    The only anxious moment I had was at the end after resetting the EPB and disconnecting VCDS, I couldn't release the parking brake. No amount of pushing the button worked. It took me a while to realise that I wasn't pushing hard enough on the brake pedal at the same time.

After changing the pads, I'd pumped up the brake pedal rather vigorously with a lot of pressure and the brake pedal now needed an equivalent hard pressure to release the EPB! I'll make a note for next time.
    Thanks for sharing!

I'm about to replace them and had no idea where to start and how to prepare!