Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: R36 Wagon HR Rear Sway Bar, any experience?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    Nice one.
    I bought mine from a specialty tool place in Pendle Hill probably cost me twice that, can't remember.
    I found two local options on eBay as well, but this kit seems to be best, tools collection is endless....

Quote Originally Posted by 3C4M Guy View Post
    Wow. That's exciting your goodies have arrived from Germany and UK.

After fitting the new rear bar, remember to do your final tighten of the bolts only after the weight of the vehicle is on the wheels. Also check the bar clearance to the diff in case the saddle clamps need slotting.

Torque wrench settings from a Haynes manual:
    Anti-roll bar to sub-frame 25 Nm, then angle-tighten a further 450 (in curb weight position)
    Anti-roll bar link 40 Nm (in curb weight position)
    Thanks for the torque spec, I have read on other forum as well, some say it needs more tightness, I will see how do I go this weekend!
    2018 BMW 125i M Sport |AlpineWhite|719M JetBlack|BlackLeather |ComfortPackage|Sunroof|WirelessCharging
    2010 MY10 R36 Wagon | Biscay Blue | Power Tailgate | RNS510 | MDI | RVC | 51,000 km |Garage Open Button | Dead Pedal Mod | OE Fit DRL | VCDS | Sprint Booster | H&R Rear Sway Bar | Alcantara Steering Wheel | Dual Reverse Light | 19" Bentley Wheels (BBS Forged Split) | Michelin PS 4S
    2005 MY05 AH Astra HatchBlack | Facelifted SRi Looking | OpeliZed | Whiteline RSB | Eibach ProKit

Quote Originally Posted by Passat R36 View Post
    Spline Tripe Square Set has arrived, it comes with 1/2" adapter. Highly recommended! Only cost around $17 shipped from UK.

Attachment 27809
    Do you happen to remember the seller you got these from? most of the ones I find are double that in price with postage.

Quote Originally Posted by BoraBora View Post
    Do you happen to remember the seller you got these from? most of the ones I find are double that in price with postage.
    11pc Spline Key Set 1/2" Adaptor 5 x 30mm 5 x 75mm M5 M6 M8 M10 M12 | eBay

Looks like the price has been increased by $2, but still good ��
    2018 BMW 125i M Sport |AlpineWhite|719M JetBlack|BlackLeather |ComfortPackage|Sunroof|WirelessCharging
    2010 MY10 R36 Wagon | Biscay Blue | Power Tailgate | RNS510 | MDI | RVC | 51,000 km |Garage Open Button | Dead Pedal Mod | OE Fit DRL | VCDS | Sprint Booster | H&R Rear Sway Bar | Alcantara Steering Wheel | Dual Reverse Light | 19" Bentley Wheels (BBS Forged Split) | Michelin PS 4S
    2005 MY05 AH Astra HatchBlack | Facelifted SRi Looking | OpeliZed | Whiteline RSB | Eibach ProKit

Hi guys, thanks for all the help regarding this Rear Sway Bar! This afternoon I have successfully installed H&R Rear Sway Bar by myself in my garage.

Originally I thought the factory rear sway bar is 24mm in diameter. That's why I asked any experience on the 26mm H&R one.

As soon as I took off the factory rear sway bar which is 21.6mm in diameter, about 2.4kg in weight and also hollow, I know the H&R Rear Sway Bar will make a huge difference. The H&R one is solid and weights 5.6kg.

I went out for a test drive on my normal driving route which has a lot turns, roundabouts and twisty traffic claiming narrow roads. Review? What a difference the H&R Rear Sway Bar has made! The rear of the R36 Wagon feels the stiffness instantly! I feel I connect the road more. It really helps the turning, way less body roll and way less under steering. I feel I have more confidence when turning! SO HAPPY!!! A highly recommended DIY project!

So far, no knocking or other noise! The centre part the the H&R Rear Sway Bar has 5-6mm clearance to the Haldex/diff, no knocking in that aspect. I think there is difference between 4motion Passat and R36.

Tips for installation:
    1, I used a trolley jack each side to jack the car up. As I am slim, I only need to jack up 5cm to work under the car. Off course I have two car stands under the car for my safety.

2, I am glad I bought the Spline Tripe Square set as I really needed the long and short M10 bits. I even used an socket extension with the long M10 to do the top bracket bolt. Tools I used as below:
    R36 Wagon HR Rear Sway Bar, any experience?-2961270a-6315-4b21-8e6f-ceae13ea23ec_zps1oc5whtg-jpg

3, I could not used my big torque wrench under the R36 so I just tighten all the bolts as much as my arm can do under the car.

Users Country Flag
    Glad the job went well. Nothing to do now except drive and enjoy!
    ... until that day when you start to wonder how the car would feel if the front sat flatter with the bigger front bar fitted. A brave pill and a long weekend helps for that!

Quote Originally Posted by 3C4M Guy View Post
    Glad the job went well. Nothing to do now except drive and enjoy!
    ... until that day when you start to wonder how the car would feel if the front sat flatter with the bigger front bar fitted. A brave pill and a long weekend helps for that!
    Thanks mate! Well said, yes, I know, it will be itchy. I will try to not think about it. Front is a much bigger job. Needs a wheel alignment as well afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Passat R36 View Post
    Looks like the price has been increased by $2, but still good ��
    Awesome, Thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123