Thread: R36 Wagon - Driver side rear door exterior handle wont open door.

Users Country Flag

R36 Wagon - Driver side rear door exterior handle wont open door.

Hi Guys,

The other day I discovered that the driver side rear door exterior handle wont open the door.

The car is unlocked and the door can be opened via the interior handle.

Before I dive in and start pulling the door apart I thought I'd ask and see if anyone has experienced this issue?

Regards,

Red D.

I did and had to replace the lock assembly, only thing is mine wouldn't open from the inside either intermittently so yours may just be the handle (hopefully)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I noticed the other day when I was trying put on the child lock on the door that there is another lock that looks similar to the child lock. It is located underneath a rubber grommet that has a padlock symbol on it. When I turned it it seemed to lock the outside handle but leave the inside active. Any chance you can play with this and see if it makes a difference?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Just a quick update to say that the problem is intermittent and I'm pretty sure that it is an electrical issue.
    Some times it will open and some times it won't.
    Today I unplugged the door connector and inspected the wires after viewing a Youtube video where a couple of wires had broken on an earlier modem Passat. I thought it highly unlikely as the rear doors are not used very often. Nothing observed with mine but I gave the contacts a spray with electrical contact cleaner.
    No improvement. I locked/unlocked a couple of times successfully and then it wouldn't open again.
    Reached around and opened using the inside handle.

You can feel the difference when you hold the door handle. Definitely a stronger unlatching feel when it is working correctly.

To be continued.......

Users Country Flag

These are a common failure in the golf I assume the lock mechanism is similar if not the same in the Passat. You can buy them reasonably priced from the UK. Replace it before it completely fails as it's a big job if it's stuck closed.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500