Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: R36 Tow Bar

Yes some ADR are quite retarded indeed
    I feel sure that if the German design and fitted towbar meets the German needs it would be more than fine for Australia
    My concern is warranty and insurance in Australia and how they view the issue of non ADR approved towbars
    Same deal with ISOFIX child seats - they are way better but technically not legal in Australia - As I said - retarded!!
    Golf GTi Mk6 Red, Leather, Sat Nav

Users Country Flag
    After reading through this, has anyone in fact gone ahead and imported a genuine German/EU VW tow kit for an R36 wagon?

Any links on where to order a complete kit from EU?
    Dino.

SQ5 V6TDI | 911TT | Polo 6C

Users Country Flag
    For anyone looking at this old thread for towing data, consider the information at this link:

Towball Weight and Trailer Stability

The key points suggested for a North American study:
    10% tow ball pressure allowed stability up to 160km/h (suited US towing speeds)
    3% tow ball pressure up to 105km/h
    negative 10% tow ball pressure up to 72 km/h

European testing in 2009 (Department of Mechanical Engineering at Bath University in the UK) concluded the following:
    Load is best massed at centre of gravity
    Optimum nose mass (ball load) was 6-8% of the trailers gross mass
    ESC or equivalent assisted stability with a trailer produced more stable behaviour during "stability manoeuvres"

My Summary - keep you mass over the axle, don't go over 85KG ball weight (as per VW supplied bar) and the R36 can handle the max ATM weight of 1500kg at 5.7% ball load. The highest speed limit in any state is 110 km/h with a caravan.

Shop1Auto also provide a Hayman Reese hitch with a rating of 1800 ATM and 90 kg ball weight. This would be at a percentage of 5%

VW Passat Tow Bar Sydney

What do people think about this research from Bath?
    Last edited by Joey; 03-04-2018 at 07:40 PM.
    2009 White R36 Wagon - Love the V6

Users Country Flag

The Hayman reese towbar won't increase the ball weight because it goes back to the manufacturer spec of 85kg.
    I doubt 1800kg would tow well with 85 kg ball weight.
    I guess these specs might be related to the slower German towing speeds.
    In Australia we have to cover big distances on bad roads so maybe that's why we have the higher specs?
    It is interesting that they say 6-8% Is ok though.
    I've looked at pop up caravans recently and you can hardly get anything with a ball weight below 85kg.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123