Thread: R36 Resonator Delete aka 'suitcase'

R36 Resonator Delete aka 'suitcase'

Hi all,

Over the weekend i removed the resonator in my R36. Here is a link to the Vlog i made with some before and after sound tests.

YouTube

Over all it's a bit notier on partial/medium throttle - however i don't think it's overly louder at full throttle/high RPM... it has a bit more of a distinct DSG blurb also.

This was simply replaced with a mandrel bend and straight pipe, TIG welded in with a new hanger mount, interestingly enough the pipe size transitions immediately after the resonator - from 2.5" to 2.75" (2.75" then splits into to the twin outlets).

Anyway enjoy!

oh and yes the car got a wash after these video's just in time for a nice South East Queensland summer storm cell to roll through..
    Deep Black Volkswagen R36 Variant MY09
    Opts: Auto Tailgate, Bluetooth, Sat Nav
    Mods: OBD11 apps? It needs some
    YouTube: That Car Channel

Users Country Flag
    Nice work mate. Would be very interested to hear this in real life as I have exactly the same rig. Does it drone though when you are cruising around. Where in Brissie are you situated mate? I am around the Indooroopilly/Chapel Hill area and work at Milton
    2013 Touareg V8TDi - Black, LED Interior Mods, LED Projector "VW" Door Courtesy Lights, 20" VW Mountain Rims with A/T Tyres, Pioneer SX Roof Platform with some 4x4 accessories and a whole lotta torque

Cheers,

I'm Parkinson/Algester - work in Eight Mile Plains,

has a little drone at 2000-2600rpm... i'm in the middle of another video compilation - launch control test, outside in the open air, in the cabin windows up, windows down, spirited driving etc..

Users Country Flag
    Nice. Look forward to it.
    2013 Touareg V8TDi - Black, LED Interior Mods, LED Projector "VW" Door Courtesy Lights, 20" VW Mountain Rims with A/T Tyres, Pioneer SX Roof Platform with some 4x4 accessories and a whole lotta torque

Users Country Flag
    so any drone?

the last thread on it people complained of drone

Love the crackle though.

R36 exhaust - "suitcase" delete review
    2009 Volkswagen R36 Wagon
    1968 Audi F103 75L Coupe
    1966 Volkswagen Beetle Deluxe

UPDATE - Hi all, as promised.

YouTube

Cheers,

Users Country Flag
    So any drone?

Also are you running standard air filter?
    2009 Volkswagen R36 Wagon
    1968 Audi F103 75L Coupe
    1966 Volkswagen Beetle Deluxe

yes standard air filter - can't decide on K&N, pipercross or BMC

- there is a tiny bit of drone at about 2000-3000rpm, but it depends on throttle input - it only drones when the engine is labouring - so usually if your in D it drops a gear before you even get the slight drone..

there is obviously some trade offs with increasing noise - instead of removing it completly - you could replace it with a 'hot dog' - essentially thats what the factory resonator is anyway - i have to repeat this will do nothing for performance the purpose of a resonator is simply to remove resonance from the exhaust note -

i think it's a happy medium - it's not a Golf GTI so i don't really want it to have the ugly drainpipe 'blat' note that they all get when they 'delete' all the sections and essentially have straight pipe - that sounds so disgusting IMHO.. and don't get me started on the TT v8 Audi's and Merc's with 'de-cat and muffler deletes' - reminds me of an EL XR8 falcon with the pipes cut at the headers! compre that to the B7 RS4, e92 M3 & lexus ISF - most have nicely 'tuned' notes that sound like they should, and scream as they increase in revs, untill they get ruined. even the LS crowd can either get it very very right - sounds like a tuned V8 supercar - or very very wrong and sound like a WB one tonner with a dual 2" system with no X pipe..

Sorry for the rant - i am a bit particular with exhaust and fabrication in general - i have seen lots of nice cars go to very ordinary exhaust shops for this sort of stuff - and they replace the factory stainless sections with aluminized steel tube, smashed in with press bends and a mig - painted black whilst in the car so there is overspray on everything also...
    Last edited by MatC; 15-12-2017 at 09:52 AM.

Users Country Flag

very true mate. Couldn't agree with you more.