Thread: R36 lucky to still have a tail shaft attached!

Users Country Flag

R36 lucky to still have a tail shaft attached!

So I moved about a year ago and discovered on settlement day that the R36 bottoms out coming into the driveway from the street.

The drive is quite a steep downhill and the entrance from the street comes up so I have a bit of a hump to negotiate. Even my wife's stock as a rock Holden Cruze scrapes if we are both in it. If I reverse the R36 in on a 45 and don't have any passengers, most of the time, it doesn't scrape.

I assumed it was the exhaust scraping and didn't worry about it too much. This morning it scraped particularly badly and I saw half a bolt get left behind. I had previously found half a bolt in a similar position but wasn't sure where it had came from.

So I investigate and find that the carrier bearing for the tailshaft has 2 sheared bolts and one bent as ****, leaving only one good bolt keeping it secure

I cbf'd with an easy out so I rang the good people at volkewrke who squeezed me in on what was already a flat chat day before a long weekend. The kids and I went over to Doncaster shops and had some lunch while the boys extracted the 2 broken bolts and replaced the lot with new high tensile bolts with lower profile heads. Love their work!

Users Country Flag
    So the moral of the story is caveat emptor
    ˌkavɪat ˈɛmptɔː/
    noun
    noun: caveat emptor

the principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made.
    "caveat emptor still applies when you are buying your house"

Users Country Flag
    Damn that sucks lucky you found out before a big expensive bill

Volksworks are terrific i have used them and am most impressed
    2017 Golf Alltrack 135tdi All options
    19 inch Brescia Wheels Golf R brakes front and rear
    Calipers painted Candy apple gold
    New rear sway bar and linkages

Users Country Flag
    Time to get a bridge made up .out of checker plate

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Ramp over is the issue not approach or departure angle. Not much I can do about it unfortunately besides kick the Mrs out at the top of the driveway....