Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: R36 Engine start problem

Users Country Flag

R36 Engine start problem

Hey guys. I've been having a bit of a problem with my car now for the last few months. When i start the car in the mornings it starts without fault, but then after i park it at work after sitting in the sun all day or when the weather is just hot in general it decides it wants to take forever to start. It ticks over but takes a while to kick over and i have to pump the accelerator a bit.

I thought it was a battery problem and had it replaced but it's still doing it. People are saying it's a fuel pump problem but you can hear it turn over when you open the door. I had the spark plugs replaced and still nothing.

Now I'm thinking that the ignition coils have shat themselves.
    I bought the car with 105,000km on the clock and I'm not sure if it had the coils replaced.
    I have VCDS and no errors are popping up regarding them or anything else for that matter.

I called VW and they are wanting $110 per coil and i don't really want to pay that much.
    Do any you guys know if these are compatible from ECS Tuning or i need different ones.

403 Forbidden

Here is a video of what it is doing.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Chris
    Last edited by R36R; 04-01-2015 at 01:56 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by R36R View Post
    Hey guys. I've been having a bit of a problem with my car now for the last few months. When i start the car in the mornings it starts without fault, but then after i park it at work after sitting in the sun all day or when the weather is just hot in general it decides it wants to take forever to start. It ticks over but takes a while to kick over and i have to pump the accelerator a bit.

I thought it was a battery problem and had it replaced but it's still doing it. People are saying it's a fuel pump problem but you can hear it turn over when you open the door. I had the spark plugs replaced and still nothing.

Now I'm thinking that the ignition coils have shat themselves.
    I bought the car with 105,000km on the clock and I'm not sure if it had the coils replaced.
    I have VCDS and no errors are popping up regarding them or anything else for that matter.

I called VW and they are wanting $110 per coil and i don't really want to pay that much.
    Do any you guys know if these are compatible from ECS Tuning or i need different ones.

403 Forbidden ... /ES269744/

I'm going to try and post a video when i get a chance to show you guys what it sounds like.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Chris
    If it runs ok, I don't see coilpacks fixing it.

Throttlebody alignment might help, although the fault was there the battery was swapped.

A fuel pressure problem as opposed to just the fuel pump not working. New filter?

gavin

Users Country Flag
    Possible ecu update? Might need vw to check there tech bullitins to see if your concern comes up for a software update of engine ecu....so much stuff gets fixed that way these days...sight adjustment of min / max sensor specs
    VOLKSWAGEN TECHNICIAN - 16 YEARS OF PAIN..
    VCDS CODING- FAULT DIAGNOSIS - PRE PURCHASE INSPECTIONS- REPAIRS
    9W2 BT KITS -$300 - 9W7 BT KITS - $450 - CANBUS UPGRADE $150
    BRISBANE / GOLD COAST

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubmotorworx View Post
    Possible ecu update? Might need vw to check there tech bullitins to see if your concern comes up for a software update of engine ecu....so much stuff gets fixed that way these days...sight adjustment of min / max sensor specs
    I don't know the details of the TSB, but my car has a recall sticker on it for an ECU update that was done back in 2009....
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    What's the campaign number on it?

I don't recall any ECU updates for them, but just about every one of them had the positive battery cable replaced as part of a campaign.

OP: perform an intake clean on it, including the throttle body. I'd recommend the Liqui-Moly intake cleaner to do the bulk of it. You'll need an extra person to do it, as one of you will need to hold the engine at around 3,000rpm, while the other sprays the intake cleaner into the intake AFTER the MAF. With the throttle body, use any old carby/throttle body cleaner and an old toothbrush. Use a plastic trim wedge or similar, to manually open the throttle body. FSI motors are notoriously suceptive to carbon build-up, causing all sorts of running problems.

Also bare in mind, that these motors cut power to coils if missfires are detected on that cylinder. If you read the codes, then clear the codes (even if none are logged), the idle will pick up a couple of hundred RPM, and run a bit smoother. Worth checking the missfire counter in Measured Values beforehand, and see what the go is. Best done with it running, and under load (like stalled up against the brakes in D).
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Recall campaign 24K6.

'To cure a random fault with throttle position sender reading an implausible signal for no reason and throwing an ECU fualt code. ....Cold start issues....rough running in certain load levels.....'
    etc translated from Dutch...

Maybe related?
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Hmm... that could well apply.

A call to the local dealer with the VIN on Monday will get to the bottom of it.

Definitely don't shy away from the battery cable one though, if it's not been done. The initial version of the cable can rub through on the rear subframe and bodywork.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the replies so far guys. Will definitely look into it all.

Ive added a video int he first post of what the car is doing on start up if that gives you all a better idea.

Been a few years but did you find a solution?

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk
    2000 Audi b5 1.8T|RS4 B5 reps|autobahn88 FMIC|k04-015|GIAC tune|seat cupra lip|rs4 mesh grill|sunroof|leather|

Users Country Flag

Been another few months and my 3.6 CC is doing exactly this. Solution?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast