Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Purchasing R36 Wagon

Purchasing R36 Wagon

In the market for an R36 Wagon..

I'm looking for some advice on wether to go for a lower km 2008 MY08 with more options OR a 2009 MY09 with less options and slightly more km.

Your wisdom would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    MY08s are prone to DSG issues and have the orange MFD. Probably a lot more of these around for sale.
    MY09s onwards have the white MFD.
    MY10 and MY10.5 are much rarer but have a choice of more options available. I understand they have the least issues too.

I'm biased, but if was me I would be keeping an eye out for an optioned MY10 - just like everyone else. And if it's Biscay Blue then you need to act fast as they don't last very long. I know this from experience...
    Biscay Blue MY10.5 Passat R36 Wagon
    Options: Sunroof, RNS510 Sat Nav, Dynaudio, Power Tailgate, ACC, RVC, BT 9w7, Tint and Factory Towbar.
    Atlantic Blue MY19.5 Golf GTI
    Options: Luxury Package and Sound & Style Package.

Yes I gathered 2010 would be preferable and as you said more sought after by buyers.

So sticking to a budget and making some compromises would you still go later model with less options?

Users Country Flag
    What options do you want/not want?
    Some can be easily retrofitted.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by owen010101 View Post
    Yes I gathered 2010 would be preferable and as you said more sought after by buyers.

So sticking to a budget and making some compromises would you still go later model with less options?

As Kamold said, some items are easily retrofitted - RNS510 Sat Nav and RVC. I did the later retrofit as due to a VWA bungle most MY10s didn't get the Reversing Camera. The Power Tailgate is useful but I don't think easily retrofitted.

Other options like Dynaudio and DCC are more difficult - but have been done. Kamold wants to retrofit Adaptive Cruise Control (a great feature but rare due to being expensive) which I think would be a lot of work....
    Options: Sunroof, RNS510 Sat Nav, Dynaudio, Power Tailgate, ACC, RVC, BT 9w7, Tint and Factory Towbar.

Yes I have been reading up on everyone's retrofits. Very entertaining.

Sat Nav, RVC and phone Bluetooth would be preferred options to have. The one I'm looking at has tailgate.

Not fussed on DCC. Would be nice though.

What's your opinion on sunroof? I think I could take it or leave it..

Also what would rough cost of nav, rvc and Bluetooth end up at?

Thanks for your help

Users Country Flag
    If the only options you are after are nav, and bluetooth they are the easiest retrofits to do - don't pass on a car just because it doesn't have these.

RVC is a little more involved but not that bad, just has cables to run from the back to the front of the car.

I don't have a sunroof and have only ever had 2 cars with them. Nice to have but for me a take it or leave it option.

If you're in Melbourne talk to VW Central for your retrofitting needs.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by owen010101 View Post
    Yes I have been reading up on everyone's retrofits. Very entertaining.

Sat Nav, RVC and phone Bluetooth would be preferred options to have. The one I'm looking at has tailgate.

Not fussed on DCC. Would be nice though.

What's your opinion on sunroof? I think I could take it or leave it..

Also what would rough cost of nav, rvc and Bluetooth end up at?

Thanks for your help

I forgot about Bluetooth - BT 9w7 is the OEM kit that you need.

For me a sunroof was a must have - I love it. On an R36 it is a pretty common option.

As kamold says VW Central in Melbourne are good - they advertise on this forum or you could try ebay, which is what I did for my RVC.

Talking of the RVC, this was a pretty tricky retrofit on my car - factor in 3-4 hours of labour if you get someone else to do it.

Great info guys. Much appreciated.

So I've been out to see a few now and have had a couple RACV tested with not the best feedback.

If you were located in VIC I'd be interested to know which car you would spend your hard earned money on...

Users Country Flag

Why limit your search to your home state?
    Find the best car available and either have it shipped or catch a plane and drive it home.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast