Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Purchasing R36 Wagon

Yes I wouldn't limit to just VIC obviously have to consider time and extra costs..

But yer. If you had to choose one what would you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Don't know what your priorities, colour preference or budget is.

I'd probably get this candy white one:
    https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...-4454549/?Cr=1

Or this Biscay Blue:
    https://www.carsales.com.au/private/...4452089/?Cr=11
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Didn't really mind what colour. Preferably not silver. Preference would be to end up with a solid car that isn't going to be a big gamble. And my pockets aren't the deepest but prepared to spend what's necessary to avoid a bad purchase.

Went to see the white one. It looked like a family of chimpanzees had been living in it. Every thing was scratched, dented or broken. Electric functions not all working. No tailgate option. Needed a new windscreen for RWC. He also had another buyer who is purchasing it tonight.

I have also seen the blue one. The owner has an aftermarket exhaust and pod filter fitted. He is getting RWC and selling without mods on but will sell separately with sale. Could these mods potentially cause issues?

Users Country Flag
    If you have the luxury of time it is probably best to wait until the right car comes along - that may be interstate though and you may have to pay a bit more, but with these cars condition is paramount.

You may also want to check out a B7 V6 FSI Highline with the Sports Package on Carsales. There aren't many about but most would have Bluetooth, RNS510, RVC and Power Tailgate and DCC is standard. The Sports Package has lowered suspension, sports seats and steering wheel paddles.

A poor-mans R36, but you still get the stonking 220kW V6 engine in a newer car with less kms. I test drove one (without the Sports Package) when I was looking for my R36 and it was quite impressive.
    Biscay Blue MY10.5 Passat R36 Wagon
    Options: Sunroof, RNS510 Sat Nav, Dynaudio, Power Tailgate, ACC with Front Assist, RVC, BT 9w7, Factory Tint and Factory Towbar
    Night Blue MY15.5 Golf GTI Performance
    Options: Black Vienna Leather, DAP II, Panoramic Sunroof and Voice Control (every box ticked.)

I wouldnt say 08 was more prone to dsg issues, like the majority of dsg's it can just be the luck of draw. Had my 08 for 4 years and have only ever had one single issue being autobootlid latch failing. Some cars can be gems and some are just lemons. I feel like the value of my 08 has just dropped significantly due to people giving negative info that they cant back up on.
    Last edited by vagr36; 10-01-2017 at 05:49 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Hi mate, I've just recently bought a Biscay Blue R36 from NSW as there are none during December 2016. For me, i'm very particular, it just had to be Biscay Blue and a wagon, so i've compromised a lot of options. I personally like the sunroof, but i've already got that on my B7 2.0 TDI (yes, i've got 2 passats...)

Looking through carsales again, i noticed this is still for sale:
    https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/d...3399139/?Cr=22

If you haven't inspected this car, i strongly suggest you to, as i was very close to purchasing it. The car drove very well for an 08, it has the DSG recall done, and has pretty much all the options. Furthermore, they just fixed the rims from gutter rash and the collapsed driver side bolster. To me that's pretty much all the hard work done. Also that dealership service european cars, so you know they can deliver a complete car to you. The guy i dealt with was Luke (if i remember correctly).

On one last note, please entertain the idea of travelling to NSW for the right car. I've done that myself and got the car i wanted. Of course you will have to do the research of registering the car into VIC and the cost of doing so.
    https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/regi...rstate-vehicle

Good luck and let us know how you go.

Nice work on traveling all the way to pick up what your Bicsay blue Wagon!

I have seen this one too. But the colour of the interior trim?

I discussed the traveling scenario with the mrs.. went better than expected actually. Will broaden search area and research into registration paperwork. Thanks for passing that on.

Any other suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps if anyone had any buying regrets or break-throughs...?

Users Country Flag
    The interior trim is probably a personal taste, however it's in great condition. I suppose the 1st owner specify it to offset the black colour, keeping it cooler?

As you have probably already know, NSW euro scene is quite big with plenty more options. I would suggest negotiate your buying price factoring flights and registration cost. Here's another helpful link for getting NSW rego refund:
    Cancel your registration - Registration - Roads - Roads and Maritime Services

Because you are buying a 2nd hand car, not being able to option the car to your liking is something to accept. So far i've no issues that i know of with my car, and i'm owning the R36 purely from the appreciation of the 3.6 litre. Although i would like more tech and creature comforts, but that's not what R36 is about IMO.

If you can wait, then do so, because the more time you look, the more time you learn about the car without investing any commitment.

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in to this discussion. You can be as careful as you like when purchasing a used car but that doesn't always guarantee a fault free purchase.
    I spent several months looking for a cc last year. Main criteria was VW dealership service history (and had to be the 220kw V6!). After exhausting all options here in Queensland, then missing out on a couple in NSW, finally did the deal on one in Melbourne.
    Car was pretty much as described by salesman so got in and made the trip back to the Gold Coast. (Was an awesome drive home).
    Everything was going well then 4 months after purchase clutch pump in the Haldex failed leaving me $1100 out of pocket. I had even had a pre purchase inspection done by RACV.
    I guess the point of my comment is...they are just a machine made of nuts and bolts and sometimes things go wrong.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Just have to remember that you're paying $20-25k, but are maintain a $65k 8 year old car.

Haldex pumps are not an uncommon item to fail. Problem is the pump and the controller are calibrated to each other so you need to replace the complete assembly.

With the km you're looking at you'll want to check the condition of the brakes, tyres and whether the 8year/120,000km major service has been completed including DSG, brake fluid and Haldex service. All of these standard maintenance items can add up to several thousand $ (capped price at VW for a 2011 V6 Passat is ~$1,650 for 60,000/120,000km). So that car that looked a bargain at $19k then doesn't look so much of a bargain when you've spent $3-4k on bringing all the maintenance items up to scratch.

Remember that services should be carried out every 15,000km or 12 months. Major services at 60,000km/4 years and 120,000km/8years.

And you have to realize that it's often these things that are the triggers to cause people to sell/trade up. I know it's a consideration with me as to how long I continue to keep a vehicle. I'll generally sell it before incurring major maintenance costs that are coming up in 6-12 months.
    Last edited by tigger73; 11-01-2017 at 07:28 PM.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast