Thread: Passat TDI starts, runs for a second, stops and displays flashing coil light

Users Country Flag

Passat TDI starts, runs for a second, stops and displays flashing coil light

Hi all,

Have 2011 Passat TDI 125kw. Has about 250K on clock.

A few times (probably four or five now) over the last six months it has started, run for a moment or two and then quit, while flashing the coil lights.

Taking the key out and restarting makes the coil lights go away.

Used a scanner tonight - found no stored fault codes.

Some research has suggested an anti-shudder value might be the issue, although I'm unsure if they are still fitted on these cars (most of the stuff I saw was for slightly earlier generation).

Appreciate any and all advice - thank you.
    08 Golf GT TDI
    11 (MY12) Passat TDI Wagon

Users Country Flag

HI ozrcboy, the flashing coil u describe is glow plug indicator light, which could indicate glow plug issue but I would not think that would shut motor down. Shut down like that sounds more like a immobiliser issue where car will run for few secs then shut down, not sure if that helps any, I'm not familiar with that model but anti shudder valve is easy identifiable large aluminum unit that has hose coming up from inter cooler near radiator and other end attaches to EGR valve which then connects to inlet manifold.