Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Passat Clock Spring

Users Country Flag

Passat Clock Spring

Hi all,

Looks like the clock spring has gone in my 2011 (MY12) Passat TDI as airbag warning, horn and stereo/trip computer buttons on steering wheel all failed simultaneously.

Called VW spares. A new clock spring is $717 - WTF?

Does anyone know why they are so expensive? Can anyone suggest an alternative, or somewhere where the parts can be bought for only the cost of your firstborn rather than all of your children?

Thanks.
    08 Golf GT TDI
    11 (MY12) Passat TDI Wagon

Users Country Flag
    I'd push for a goodwill repair under warranty.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Mine failed after 2 years was covered under warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I have 160K on the clock. I don't think they will be interested in goodwill but thanks for the suggestion.
    08 Golf GT TDI

Users Country Flag
    Diagram says you need to read the partno with VAG test - maybe VCDS can do it too.
    VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT/4MOTION/SANTANA [PA] (EUROPE) 2011 [3C-B-200 001 >>]: ELECTRICS: 95350. STEERING COL. COMBI SWITCH; IGNITION/STARTER SWITCH; MULTIFUNCTION BUTTONS FOR; STEERING WHEEL

You can buy off ebay from $200 (possible China knock-off) or $400 ex-USA
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Thanks Brad - Great info.
    08 Golf GT TDI

Letter to VW: Hello Volkswagen Australia, I own two Volkswagens, both bought new. A 2008 GTI TDI Golf and a 2011 (MY12) Passat TDI. Recently my Passat developed a fault where the steering wheel controls, horn and airbag system all failed simultaneously. My mechanic investigated and identified the problem as a faulty clock spring. When he quoted me almost $800 for the part (a clock spring) I was shocked and surprised. I note that in the US there is currently a voluntary recall on Passats of a similar vintage to mine due to a faulty clock spring causing an airbag issue. I also note that the clock spring part in my car has been superseded by VW - a likely indicator that the original contained design defects. Finally - I note that in the US the part is almost half the price anyway. This fault has come in the same year where I had to have a water pump replaced in the Passat costing almost a thousand dollars - a job which my current mechanic advises should have been done when the timing belt was changed as most of the cost is same labour performed on that job - that timing belt change service was at my local VW dealer. Finally, without wishing to dwell on it, I wanted to draw your attention to the fact that VW Australia's very public customer service failures over the last couple of years has probably cost my family at least $6,000 in terms of damage to the second hand value of my vehicles. Would you please provide a replacement clock spring for my vehicle. It is clear the original part was defective, not fit for purpose, and that in other parts of the world VW is acting properly to replace it free of charge. It would be nice to tell my friends and family about how VW Australia stepped up and addressed this issue for me rather than another story about a recall VW Australia knows it should do, but wont. Given the airbag in my vehicle is disabled I would appreciate your prompt response. Would you please let me know by close of business on the 30th of October.
    Last edited by ozrcboy; 25-10-2015 at 12:16 PM.
    08 Golf GT TDI

Users Country Flag
    I have read about this recall in the few time. They are already addressing it in the US. It's definitely going to affect few of us in Aus at some-stage, so it will be interesting to see what they reply to you. 160km does not sound much for this part to need replacement. I reckon it is definitely defective. Please let us know when you get a reply. And good luck!

Users Country Flag
    Good letter (assuming all the formatting was destroyed in the copy/paste) but good luck getting a reply by the 30th.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Finally got around to putting the car in at VW for assessment. They have offered to:

1. Sell me the part at warranty prices.
    2. Pay for a third of the part.

All up bill would be $450.

What do people think?
    08 Golf GT TDI

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast