Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passat B6 3.2 FSI 4 motion DSG oil change mystery

Users Country Flag

Question Passat B6 3.2 FSI 4 motion DSG oil change mystery

Gday,

Hi all, the following is a bit of a mystery...
    In Aug 2016 DSG (250) transmission oil & filter were replaced. Vehicle was on a flat, even surface, 5 litres of oil poured in, temperature of transmission oil 39C (checked on VCDS), transmission "drained" until it was just dripping oil. Forward to October 2017. (Yes, I'm aware the DSG oil did not have to be changed yet) Drained the DSG oil, measured exactly how much oil has come out - 4.3 litres. Measured and filled the DSG with 4.8 litres, cycled through the gears, at 40C - no oil came out. Next day poured another 200 ml - nothing came out. No leaks from transmission evident. True the car has done some km's - in fact over 250k but is in a good nick. Any ideas what could be happening here? Why the discrepancy in oil volume?

Users Country Flag
    It's a mystery to me but I hope someone can shed some light on it. I have to change my DSG oil and need to choose which method to measure how much to put in. Your experience makes me think it's better to use the factory method of overfilling then letting out the excess by monitoring the temp via VCDS rather than simply measuring how much came out and putting the same back in.
    2007 Passat B6 3.2 litre V6 4Motion | Granite Grey | standard 17" Solitude wheels | tow bar
    Mods: R36 steering wheel | HP DQ250 DSG tune | HPA Haldex performance controller | Koni sports yellow shocks | Eibach springs | H&R sway bars | Whiteline ALK | Kufatec E-MFA add on | Garage door button | Warning triangle retrofit | Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE003s

Users Country Flag
    They're always underfilled from the factory.

Overfill it with the full 5 litres, and drain the excess as per their instructions.

With regards to the original post, is it possible that the level tube was not screwed all the way in, and tightened (by hand)? They do have a tendancy to back themselves out.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    @ 3C4MGuy - yes, I was thinking exactly that when I poured in the 4.8Lt at first however when nothing came out at 5Lt that got me really thinking.

@Umai Naa!! - yes, during the last oil change the mehanic used ratcet wrench so if anything the tube should have been sitting in higher, more oil should have been poured in order to drain consequently leaving more oil in th gearbox? He used ratchet wrench this tme too but did not use a torque wrench to tighten the tube according to the specs (20lbs?)

Users Country Flag
    Don't really need a torque wrench on it, it's only plastic and just needs to be tightened firmly by hand (i.e no wrench, just an allen key).
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

2 points. 1. Did you measure the oil in the filter and include it with the amount drained out?
    2. My mate just recently did a DSG service on my wife’s 2010 Jetta 125TDI and he couldn’t get more than 4 litres in it. The car seems to be driving fine but I’m concerned that we should put it back on the hoist and check. Perhaps he didn’t screw the tube in far enough but I told him of my concerns and he reckons he checked it again.
    2001 Bora 4 Motion Sport now used by number two son
    2011 Skoda Octavia Scout now with Underground Performance tune
    2010 Jetta 125 tdi dsg for the misses - Impressed
    2006 Polo GTI - Enhanced by some of Gav's magic - Absolutely loving it

Users Country Flag
    Car needs to be running to check the oil level.

The oil in the filter housing drains out the bottom. Not much is held in the filter itself.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Yes it was checked while running while on the hoist.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bora Sport View Post
    2 points. 1. Did you measure the oil in the filter and include it with the amount drained out?
    2. My mate just recently did a DSG service on my wife’s 2010 Jetta 125TDI and he couldn’t get more than 4 litres in it. The car seems to be driving fine but I’m concerned that we should put it back on the hoist and check. Perhaps he didn’t screw the tube in far enough but I told him of my concerns and he reckons he checked it again.
    Yeah, agree with Umai-naa!!. It's documented, you should be able to pour 5lt in order to fill (service) properly drained DSG t/x.

Wouldn't the gearbox for a 4 motion hold more oil than a 2 wheel drive?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast