Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overhangs and heights of R36 Wagon?

Users Country Flag

Overhangs and heights of R36 Wagon?

Hi, So I'm really keen on an R36 wagon but I have an issue. My driveway is steep from the almost flat foot path and my current Subaru Liberty GT wagon scrapes both front and rear when I'm about in the mid point of the break in grade (the tow bar socket has been slowly grinding down) - entry and departure angle in 4wd terminology. The r36 seems to be considerably lower and I suspect one would have no hope of getting up the drive. Would some kind soul be kind enough to crawl around and measure the horizontal distance from the tyre contact point to the lowest thing front and rear as well as the height of that part from the ground? I suspect the parts that will strike first are the front spoiler lip & the exhaust pipe tips. Thanks in advance. After thinking about my next car for so long I'll be cheesed off if I can't get an R36 wagon up the drive.
    Overhangs and heights of R36 Wagon?-angles-jpg

Users Country Flag
    Overhangs and heights of R36 Wagon?-volk2877-jpg

Approach and departure angles are pretty poor, to be honest.

Even if you took the driveway on an angle, the rigid chassis, and open diffs could leave you stuck.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    They have open diffs? Nice to know. Thanks.

Users Country Flag
    They bottom out very easily.
    I'll get some measurements for you tomorrow.
    But suffice to say all R36 front bumpers are scratched to hell underneath, and if you have to go over a driveway with a bit of a hump you'll also start hitting the side skirts and undercarriage.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Some very rough measurements yield an approach angle of 12.2 degrees and a departure angle of 18 degrees.
    Departure angle is on the rear mufflers, approach on the bottom of the front lip.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    I did some fron angle measurements on my Passat when building our new house As the garage is only 1500mm from the road to the doorway if it was higher than 175mm the front would have scraped when turning in. Luckily its only 150mm higher didnt do the rear. Apparently the R36 is lower
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Yeah, can attest to the above. My poor front bumper has copped it so many times; even on bumps on main roads if not approached at excruciatingly slow speeds.

My driveway isn't even that deep yet I still need to exit diagonally.
    Biscay Blue Volkswagen R36 MY09

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks all. Just went and measured the angle - 15 deg. Damn. And when the inclined slab approaches the top there's a quick/short curve or hump. I'm surprised the Liberty's belly doesn't scrape. Looks like an R36 is out of the running. More frustration: I went back to looking at low Km's liberty wagons and there's a couple for sale at the moment - both Tuned by STI - which are the lowest of all. In R36 territory. Maybe I need to give up and get an Alltrack.

Users Country Flag
    or a new driveway!

Users Country Flag

See my thread about nearly ripping out my tailshaft carrier bearing on my driveway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast