Thread: Oil anti-flowback valve?

Users Country Flag

Oil anti-flowback valve?

Recently my 3.2L VR6 engine has been making terrible rattling noises on the first start when not driven for several days. A cold start on the next day is no issue. I believe this is not a timing chain issue (already replaced) but oil starvation. The rattling continues for 4-5 seconds until oil pressure builds and begins to flow. Does this engine have an anti-flowback valve? Is it accessible without delving into the inner workings of the engine?
    2007 Passat B6 3.2 litre V6 4Motion | Granite Grey | standard 17" Solitude wheels | tow bar
    Mods: R36 steering wheel | HP DQ250 DSG tune | HPA Haldex performance controller | Koni sports yellow shocks | Eibach springs | H&R sway bars | Whiteline ALK | Kufatec E-MFA add on | Garage door button | Warning triangle retrofit | Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE003s

Users Country Flag
    Look at page 28 on this SSP https://vwcampersite.files.wordpress...fsi_engine.pdf The pump keeps ~200ml of oil in a mini "Oil Tank" to allow fast oil pressure.

If you are getting rattling, I would be looking at the chain tensioners, can you post a video of the noise?
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon
    Genuine VCDS HEX-NET and VCP Pro

Users Country Flag
    Swap the chain tensioner out.

Make sure you bleed it up with fresh oil.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Thank you MIG and Umai Naa!! for your help. Also thank you for reminding me about those VW self-study programs. I have a similar 68 page document from VW of America.

The reason I did not suspect a timing chain issue is that both chains, the main tensioner and the camshaft adjusters were all replaced 45,000 km ago. Also the noise is not there for every cold start. I left the car unused for 3 days over the weekend. When I started it today, there was no noise. However if the car if not used for a week, the noise will be there. I'll look for an opportunity to record it. In the meantime, I suppose I can't eliminate either the chain tensioner or the mini oil tank. I wonder which is easier to replace? I guess the tensioner?
    2007 Passat B6 3.2 litre V6 4Motion | Granite Grey | standard 17" Solitude wheels | tow bar
    Mods: R36 steering wheel | HP DQ250 DSG tune | HPA Haldex performance controller | Koni sports yellow shocks | Eibach springs | H&R sway bars | Whiteline ALK | Kufatec E-MFA add on | Garage door button | Warning triangle retrofit | Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE003s