Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Obscure Features

Users Country Flag

Obscure Features

I just found out the bottom of the rear seat in my R36 wagon slides forwards and up so the rear seats fold completely flat. This has blooown my mind, have had the car for a year and a half and moved house using it without knowing this. So I wondered what else I had missed and figured it might make a good idea for a thread. What weird VW features have you discovered in the course of owning your Passat?
    Candy White Volkswagen R36 Variant MY10.5
    Options: Auto Tailgate, Bluetooth, Moonroof, Reverse Cam, Sat Nav
    Modifications: HPA Race Haldex, RD Technik Stage 1 ECU/TCU, iPE Valvetronic Exhaust, EVO-MS Intake, and plenty more...

Users Country Flag
    Will have to check that, haven't ever tried.
    There is a button to the right of the driver's seat, on the B pillar, with a picture of an airbag or something on it.
    It is illuminated.
    I have no idea what it is for, haven't looked in the manual yet.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    Will have to check that, haven't ever tried.
    There is a button to the right of the driver's seat, on the B pillar, with a picture of an airbag or something on it.
    It is illuminated.
    I have no idea what it is for, haven't looked in the manual yet.
    Yep in hindsight it's obvious, there are visible black pull tabs on the front of the seats. I have seen them but sorta didn't think much of it at the time I guessed it was to aid in trim removal for maintenance or something. I assume this is wagon only but all wagons would do it. I have to vacuum there now because it had gum wrappers and stuff from the previous owner under the seats, haha.

On the button, I can help you! I found that but I looked it up in the manual. It disables your cabin motion sensors so if you have something moving in the car or your windows down, it will stop the alarm being tripped. You press it every time you get out and it occurs until you next unlock the car.
    Last edited by Jakeys; 18-03-2016 at 03:16 PM.
    Modifications: HPA Race Haldex, RD Technik Stage 1 ECU/TCU, iPE Valvetronic Exhaust, EVO-MS Intake, and plenty more...

Users Country Flag
    Cool thanks for bothering to RTFM for me !

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    One of my pet hates is leaving the car for a service and getting it back only to find the mechanic adjusted the side mirrors during a test drive. (I guess its' necessary for safety reasons) For years I adjusted each mirror back separately starting with the driver's side mirror. I had no idea until recently that there's a way of doing the passenger mirror first that will adjust both at the same time!
    2007 Passat B6 3.2 litre V6 4Motion | Granite Grey | standard 17" Solitude wheels | tow bar
    Mods: R36 steering wheel | HP DQ250 DSG tune | HPA Haldex performance controller | Koni sports yellow shocks | Eibach springs | H&R sway bars | Whiteline ALK | Kufatec E-MFA add on | Garage door button | Warning triangle retrofit | Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE003s

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeys View Post
    Yep in hindsight it's obvious, there are visible black pull tabs on the front of the seats. I have seen them but sorta didn't think much of it at the time I guessed it was to aid in trim removal for maintenance or something. I assume this is wagon only but all wagons would do it. I have to vacuum there now because it had gum wrappers and stuff from the previous owner under the seats, haha.

On the button, I can help you! I found that but I looked it up in the manual. It disables your cabin motion sensors so if you have something moving in the car or your windows down, it will stop the alarm being tripped. You press it every time you get out and it occurs until you next unlock the car.
    My Passat does that but you have to take the headrests off to get the seat backs right down to make the floor really flat. There is a way to place them though so they arent just lying around The manual if you choose to read it tells you how LOL

The length of the floor is that position is approx 1900mm
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    My Passat does that but you have to take the headrests off to get the seat backs right down to make the floor really flat. There is a way to place them though so they arent just lying around The manual if you choose to read it tells you how LOL

The length of the floor is that position is approx 1900mm
    Yeah there are holes on the top of the seat bottom part to mount them. It's pretty genius, really.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by 3C4M Guy View Post
    I had no idea until recently that there's a way of doing the passenger mirror first that will adjust both at the same time!
    Wait 'till you discover that not only can your mirrors remember their position, but you can also have them linked with your key, so when you press the 'unlock' button, your seats and your mirrors move to their preset positions.

Other cool stuff I like:
    • Self-adjusting perpetually backlit instruments
    • Two-speed auto mode on the climatronic
    • Cruise control set speed can be adjusted up or down in 1km/h or 10km/h increments
    • Self-parking wipers with one-touch service mode
    • Indicators that always do a full flash (ie even if it self-cancels halfway thruogh a flash, that flash completes.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by kleung View Post
    Wait 'till you discover that not only can your mirrors remember their position, but you can also have them linked with your key, so when you press the 'unlock' button, your seats and your mirrors move to their preset positions.

Other cool stuff I like:
    • Cruise control set speed can be adjusted up or down in 1km/h or 10km/h increments
    • Indicators that always do a full flash (ie even if it self-cancels halfway thruogh a flash, that flash completes.
    Thanks for those tips kleung. Thanks also to Jakeys for starting this thread. The thread is a good idea.

I had the car years and was always frustrated that the Climatronic unit had to be switched on in order to get some fresh air flow. Some days you don't want heat or cooling - just nice filtered air from outside. I must have been bored enough to read the manual one day and discovered that pushing the lower right ECON button turns off the air con and allows fresh air from outside. A bit like a 60s car with a knob to pull called “VENT”!
    2007 Passat B6 3.2 litre V6 4Motion | Granite Grey | standard 17" Solitude wheels | tow bar
    Mods: R36 steering wheel | HP DQ250 DSG tune | HPA Haldex performance controller | Koni sports yellow shocks | Eibach springs | H&R sway bars | Whiteline ALK | Kufatec E-MFA add on | Garage door button | Warning triangle retrofit | Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE003s

Quote Originally Posted by kleung View Post

Other cool stuff I like:
    What do you mean by self adjusting perpetually backlit instruments?

I know about all the rest. With the cruise control, initially I thought it sucked until I figured the 1km/h trick out. It's not obvious but once you learn it the whole thing is surprisingly intuitive. I scratched my paint first time I tried to wash the car because I lifted the wiper up and hit the bonnet with it. Read the manual and felt like a ****.

On the note of indicators, with the comfort indicating (Just tap it to make it flash three times) two cool things about that. One is if you want you can set it to be five times in VCDS if you have a cable, and two is if you comfort indicate again while it's doing it, it resets the timer for another three. So mid lane change you decide it's taking a bit long and you want to indicate more just tap it again. Not exciting but since it was brought up already, I figured I'd mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by 3C4M Guy View Post
    Thanks for those tips kleung. Thanks also to Jakeys for starting this thread. The thread is a good idea.

I had the car years and was always frustrated that the Climatronic unit had to be switched on in order to get some fresh air flow. Some days you don't want heat or cooling - just nice filtered air from outside. I must have been bored enough to read the manual one day and discovered that pushing the lower right ECON button turns off the air con and allows fresh air from outside. A bit like a 60s car with a knob to pull called “VENT”!
    Interesting. My MY10.5 doesn't work like this, if you just switch the whole system off with the OFF button, you still get air filtering in. I think you have to switch it off the face vents first before you turn the system off, but I could be wrong about that, it's been a while.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast