Thread: LEDs for Registration Plate and Puddle light recommendations

LEDs for Registration Plate and Puddle light recommendations

Hi guys

Was following my wife in the 36 the other night and noticed how dim the cheapy T10 LEDs were. It's a MY10 so I believe the only option really is to replace the T10 bulb.

Budget can stretch however what would you guys recommend. Powerbulbs have their usual 20% off making the Philips X Visions $28. Also noticed they stock Osram bulbs.

https://www.powerbulbs.com/au/store/...itting/w5w-501

While I'm at it, also noticed puddle lights for $11 on ebay - 2x Error Free 18LED Side Mirror Puddle Light Vw Golf 5 Mk5 MkV Passat Jetta Eos | eBay

Currently have a cob which works OK, but what are your thoughts on those?

Thanks

Users Country Flag
    i'd never go anywhere else other than supernova lighting in Carrum Downs. I was buying bulb after bulb from ebay and had them flickering and blowing. bought one good set from Ben back in 2013-14 in my golf and still have them in my .:R36 today.

MY10.5 Candy White VW Passat .:R36 Wagon
    3.6L VR6 Petrol 220kW 350Nm
    RVC . 9w7 Bluetooth . OPS . MK7 Climatronics . Sunroof . Dynaudio Upgrade . RNS510 . 18" Alloy Wheels

Here are the led panels i got from Aliexpress, they are great. 2Pcs Car LED License Plate Light 12V SMD3528 LED Number Plate Lamp For Audi A4 A5 Q5 S5 TT 08-13 Error Free
    Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com
    (from AliExpress Android)

And the puddle lights too Free shipping 2Pcs Error Free LED Under Side Mirror Light Puddle Lamp for VW Golf 5 MK5 MKV R36 Passat b6 Jetta Eos
    Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com
    (from AliExpress Android)

Cheers,

Chris

2008 R36 Reflex Silver Wagon

Users Country Flag
    If you search for threads I have started, I have done both these mods. Relatively easy to do and pretty much what Screwdriverone has linked above. One thing I will give you a tip on is make sure the licence plate lights are the correct type as for some strange reason, VW changed the type of cover so just pop yours out and familiarise yourself with what it looks like and check against sales add. Good luck.
    2013 Touareg V8TDi - Black, LED Interior Mods, LED Projector "VW" Door Courtesy Lights, 20" VW Mountain Rims with A/T Tyres, Pioneer SX Roof Platform with some 4x4 accessories and a whole lotta torque

Yeah unfortunately those licence plate units that Screwdriverone has linked to wont fit on a MY10 from what I gather, the connectors are different for the MY10 onwards.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by pandas View Post
    Yeah unfortunately those licence plate units that Screwdriverone has linked to wont fit on a MY10 from what I gather, the connectors are different for the MY10 onwards.
    Correct, just need to replace the T10 bulbs. I used the T10 from ebay, been 3 years.
    2018 BMW 125i M Sport |AlpineWhite|719M JetBlack|BlackLeather |ComfortPackage|Sunroof|WirelessCharging
    2010 MY10 R36 Wagon | Biscay Blue | Power Tailgate | RNS510 | MDI | RVC | 51,000 km |Garage Open Button | Dead Pedal Mod | OE Fit DRL | VCDS | Sprint Booster | H&R Rear Sway Bar | Alcantara Steering Wheel | Dual Reverse Light | 19" Bentley Wheels (BBS Forged Split) | Michelin PS 4S
    2005 MY05 AH Astra HatchBlack | Facelifted SRi Looking | OpeliZed | Whiteline RSB | Eibach ProKit

Users Country Flag
    also I used T10 in the puddle lights, they are OSRAM T10 LED I bought from PowerBulb(Originally for my parkers but they are too yellow, they are perfect white in puddle lights).
    OSRAM T10 LED are not error free if you want put anywhere else except the puddle lights, you will need add resistors
    2018 BMW 125i M Sport |AlpineWhite|719M JetBlack|BlackLeather |ComfortPackage|Sunroof|WirelessCharging
    2010 MY10 R36 Wagon | Biscay Blue | Power Tailgate | RNS510 | MDI | RVC | 51,000 km |Garage Open Button | Dead Pedal Mod | OE Fit DRL | VCDS | Sprint Booster | H&R Rear Sway Bar | Alcantara Steering Wheel | Dual Reverse Light | 19" Bentley Wheels (BBS Forged Split) | Michelin PS 4S
    2005 MY05 AH Astra HatchBlack | Facelifted SRi Looking | OpeliZed | Whiteline RSB | Eibach ProKit

Quote Originally Posted by Passat R36 View Post
    Correct, just need to replace the T10 bulbs. I used the T10 from ebay, been 3 years.
    Currently using these ones which were recommended in another thread
    4x CANBUS ERROR FREE 8 SMD LED XENON HID PURE WHITE W5W T10 501 SIDE LIGHT BULBS | eBay

As parker lights they look perfect, just not for rego. Have had one blown on me so far.

Users Country Flag

I use those in my parkers too and they match the xenons beautifully. I had one of the panel LED's go in my puddle light and I have actually just got a T10 globe in my drivers side and the brighter panel one in the passenger side for the kerb side. Doesn't really bother me too much to tell you the truth. My car is an 08 model so all my plugs seem to be T10 type which makes it easy for changes when my led globes decide to blow or flicker. Mine have been quite reliable actually.
    2013 Touareg V8TDi - Black, LED Interior Mods, LED Projector "VW" Door Courtesy Lights, 20" VW Mountain Rims with A/T Tyres, Pioneer SX Roof Platform with some 4x4 accessories and a whole lotta torque