Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Long Should I Keep My Passat ? How many km has your B7 Done?

Users Country Flag

How Long Should I Keep My Passat ? How many km has your B7 Done?

A question to the collective wisdom of this Forum.

I have from new a MY12 125TDI wagon with 62k. Full dealer maintenance with 90% BP Ultimate / Caltex Vortex use. 80% suburban driving with at least twice yearly country holidays (1000km round trip).

So far, no obvious problems except the erratic minor loss of coolant which VW have noted.

As this is our first VW and first diesel the questions are

1/ What common repair problems are there ?
    2/ What is the average economic life of the car ?
    3/ How many kms has your car done ?

With new emission systems added to the engine, it is my understanding that high kms are less likely.

I understand that 1/ & 2/ are highly variable, but a general consensus would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Users Country Flag
    I serviced one just like yours last week, that had 120K on the clock.

Apart from an iffy thermostat (common issue on this engine), and worn out brakes (normal wear and tear), it was in good health.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    I know a few guys in Europe with B6s (eg 2008, 2009) with over 300k on the clock and still going well (although manuals).
    If you've had it since new and have looked after it I can see it going for a long time.
    It's new enough to have new revs of the things that were problematic earlier (eg EPB, DSG etc) and you've also got enough kms on the car to have gotten past any major components having been dud parts from the factory.

DPF can be a problem potentially but as these cars age there seem to be some alternative solutions to replacement with a new part eg cleaning, reconditioned or recored units.

I'd say if you're happy with the car keep looking after it and it will look after you.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Hi

I use passat diesel (sedan or vagon) for onfield work. Usually managing 1100 km before go to petrol station. 80℅ highway - 20℅ city. Only bp diesel ultimate.
    This time i opted not to do emissions software patch due bad user reviews from overseas (mostly tiguan owners). Probably not going to do that unless mandatory.
    Usually replacing car after 200-250k. Since making 35-45k per year that happens quickly .
    My all services is done by burwin service and i did not expirience any major breakdowns etc.
    Just in case i have allianz road assistance.
    Do service by book and on time and you should not have issue. I know someone will say that i pay to much for service but better be safe then sorry.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
    2014 Passat Wagon, TDI, blue-motion technology, ComfortPower front seats, Adaptive Damping Control, Premium Sound System, Power Tailgate, Sports pack

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by saint70 View Post
    Hi

Usually replacing car after 200-250k.

Those are very impressive numbers.

Have you had problems with / replaced DSG, EGR, or DPF ?? As I am a bit concerned by their longevity.

I have inherited the car from the wife, who has moved onto a new car, and will be putting on 25K per year on mainly freeway driving.

Thanks

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Amalgam View Post
    Those are very impressive numbers.

Have you had problems with / replaced DSG, EGR, or DPF ?? As I am a bit concerned by their longevity.

I have inherited the car from the wife, who has moved onto a new car, and will be putting on 25K per year on mainly freeway driving.

Thanks
    Before i replaced b6 (sedan) i had following costs:

- 4 x set of tyres
    - 2 x battery
    - 2 x timing belt
    - 3 x dsg oil
    - all possible filters done by regular services
    - 2 x brake pads (all four)
    - countless wipers
    - 4 x headlight globes and 2 x stop light (complete modul)

Maybe i missing something else but no mention dpf or egr.

No fancy things in car. No engine upgrade - stage 1, 2 etc.
    All stock.

Done 220k with b6. Bought b7 wagon with 25k on clock 7 month ago and done 60k service 3 days ago.
    I had toyota which break down after 60k, holden which shut down engine on highway (never again). Nothing agains toyota and holden owners, just my experience.
    For me most important things:
    - reliability
    - fuel consumption
    - comfort

If i want luxury i would go for cc 😀

I hope this help.

2014 Passat Wagon, TDI, blue-motion technology, ComfortPower front seats, Adaptive Damping Control, Premium Sound System, Power Tailgate, Sports pack

Quote Originally Posted by saint70 View Post
    Before i replaced b6 (sedan) i had following costs:

- 4 x set of tyres
    - 2 x battery
    - 2 x timing belt
    - 3 x dsg oil
    - all possible filters done by regular services
    - 2 x brake pads (all four)
    - countless wipers
    - 4 x headlight globes and 2 x stop light (complete modul)

Maybe i missing something else but no mention dpf or egr.

Thanks for the info. Great to hear that you only needed the routine consumables and that the DPF and EGR lasted 200km.

At what kms did you need change the timing belt??

Thanks again

Users Country Flag
    105k or every 7 years timing belt chang for passat diesel. Not sure about second change. Someone correct me..

Users Country Flag
    The belt interval is every 105K/7yrs.

So second belt is due at 210/14Yrs.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Thanks everyone for the heads up. Good to hear that it is possible to get 200k out of the Passat.

It would be nice if other owners could chime in with their service history and kms. It should make for solid reference data.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast