Thread: HID ballast upgrade for R36 headlights?

Users Country Flag

HID ballast upgrade for R36 headlights?

Does anyone know of a 50w or 55w ballast that can be swapped in to upgrade the HID headlights. (I am assuming stock ballast is 35w and I am pretty sure the stock globes will handle 55w fine) I am guessing the ballast should idealy be compatible with the existing wiring connectors, bit would consider any that will connect to the existing globes.

I find Low beam is adequate, but high beam leaves far too much to be desired for brisk country backroad drives. I do like the way the lights turn for the bends though!

I would actually like to fit some spot-light driving lights but I can't find a good way to make a mounting point. It seems like the whole front of the car is plastic panels from the radiator forward. If anyone has ideas about that I would appreciate it also.

Users Country Flag
    I would install some Osram Nightbreaker unlimited or Philips Xtreme vision V2 D1s globes first.
    They have a much better light output, particularly when compared against the now well aged factory globes.
    Make sure you buy genuine globes from somewhere like powerbulbs or supernova lighting.
    80% or more online are fake
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Has a R36 got H1 halogen inners? If so fit some 125 watt H1 globes and see the difference. I did this on my Superb and apart from more light I think the colour mix combined with the Zenons was perfect and it had awesome lights in the bush. The zenons/H1's in my Superb were better than the LED's in my Tiguan by a long way.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post
    Has a R36 got H1 halogen inners? If so fit some 125 watt H1 globes and see the difference. I did this on my Superb and apart from more light I think the colour mix combined with the Zenons was perfect and it had awesome lights in the bush. The zenons/H1's in my Superb were better than the LED's in my Tiguan by a long way.
    No they are bi-xenon with shutter. D1S globes only.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    No they are bi-xenon with shutter. D1S globes only.
    Then I don't understand, the Osram you posted are H1's and the Phillips are Zenon @ 4800K which is getting up there in temperature. personally I wouldn't use them as I think they remove definition too much unless mixed with Halogen.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post
    Then I don't understand, the Osram you posted are H1's and the Phillips are Zenon @ 4800K which is getting up there in temperature. personally I wouldn't use them as I think they remove definition too much unless mixed with Halogen.
    They make Nightbreaker and Xtreme vision in both halogen and hid.

Users Country Flag

I wonder if you could graft an inner spot light from a non xenon light? You would have to move the parker though.