Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone fitted Snow Chains to their R36? How did it handle the snow?

Users Country Flag

Has anyone fitted Snow Chains to their R36? How did it handle the snow?

What snowchains do people run on their R36?

Any damage?

My R36 is slightly lowered anything i should look out for?

How did it handle the snow and ice?

Is there a particular snow mode to run or does the 4 motion handle everything?

Sorry im a rookie when it comes to driving in the snow.

Any tips?
    2009 Volkswagen R36 Wagon
    1968 Audi F103 75L Coupe
    1966 Volkswagen Beetle Deluxe

Last season I dry fitted my chains and drove it on the grass for a bit to see if there were any issues. The chains I had were the normal sort of small diamond chains. No real issues at stock height but a bit of a bitch to get ur hand around all sides without reaching around from under the car.

The manual says to fit winter tyres but for the likelihood and distance of having to drive on snow in vic is pretty low. So I am happy to carry the chains for the stock 18s.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Do special chains exist for low profile tyres?

Im running the OEM 18's at the moment but usually run 19" Lamborghini wheels.
    2009 Volkswagen R36 Wagon
    1968 Audi F103 75L Coupe
    1966 Volkswagen Beetle Deluxe

Users Country Flag
    Also would like to know for the B7 4 motion, just about to plan for the snow trip. Went to Lake Mountain last year as no chains needed for AWD

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon
    Genuine VCDS HEX-NET and VCP Pro

Users Country Flag
    With previous vehicles, I ordered "cable chains" from the USA. Sooooooo much cheaper than buying locally, and ideally suited to installation on limited clearance vehicles.
    Cheers

Users Country Flag
    There's the autosocks which are much easier to install, however you'll need to double check if they are legally usable here.

AutoSock - The Original Norwegian Snow Socks For Vehicles

I parked my partners tiguan on the snow last season and it had no issues getting in and out of it on the road tyres. It's pretty much the same 4motion system

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by rjt86 View Post
    There's the autosocks which are much easier to install, however you'll need to double check if they are legally usable here.

AutoSock - The Original Norwegian Snow Socks For Vehicles
    I've got a set of these for my R36. Have only dry fitted them though, not used them on the snow so can't comment on their performance.

They are pretty straight forward to fit, a little tight to get your hand where it needs to be but they fit well and shouldn't do any damage.

Users Country Flag
    I should get a set for mine, do you have 2 socks or 4? It says to install them on the driven wheels so with the R36 being technically AWD maybe 4 are required?

Thule Australia » Products » Snow Chains » Thule K-Summit K11 to K23

These are supposed to be good for low profile tyres, they are stupid expensive though. It might be worth checking if socks are allowable at the resorts you plan on going too, they weren't always in the past(over 5 years ago though)

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by rjt86 View Post
    I should get a set for mine, do you have 2 socks or 4? It says to install them on the driven wheels so with the R36 being technically AWD maybe 4 are required?
    I've only got 2, intention being to put them on the front wheels.

4 would be ideal but I'm hoping 2 would be sufficient for going up most Australian ski mountains.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast