Thread: Haldex service

Users Country Flag

Haldex service

Hi everyone,
    On the weekend I changed the haldex oil and filter. (07 Passat gen 2 haldex).
    I was just wondering what the haldex oil change interval is? The filter clearly states 60k in the book but the oil says it should be done with the inspection service.
    I assume the inspection service is every 30k?
    Thanks

Users Country Flag
    It's every 60K in Australia.

From MY10 onwards, it's every 3 years.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the info.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    It's every 60K in Australia.

From MY10 onwards, it's every 3 years.
    The service manual for my MY10.5 R36 says the Haldex is to be done once every 4 years or 60,000km, whichever comes first.

As for the 3 year thing, the way it was explained to me was that it is still to be done at least once every 4 years, but offset from the DSG service by one year. There's essentially a 4-year servicing cycle (assuming the KMs you do necessitate time-based servicing rather than distance-based). For the B6 V6/AWD Passats (3.2l and 3.6l), originally both the Haldex and the DSG needed to be serviced in year 4.

Because this meant that owners would be up for a major outlay at year 4, they changed it so the Haldex service was brought forward a year, so it would always be offset from the DSG service. So the (leaving aside the spark plug/air filter/cabin filter/brake fluid/timing belt servicing requirements), the service cycle would look something like this:

Year 1 - Oil change service
    Year 2 - Oil change + Inspection service
    Year 3 - Oil change + Haldex service
    Year 4 - Oil change + Inspection + DSG service
    Year 5 - Oil change service
    Year 6 - Oil change + Inspection service
    Year 7 - Oil change + Haldex service
    Year 8 - Oil change + Inspection + DSG service

Users Country Flag
    Bare in mind, the schedule in the book is not specific to the Australian market.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    Bare in mind, the schedule in the book is not specific to the Australian market.
    Perhaps, but it's a good baseline to start from. And the schedule I listed above matches the advice I have received from FTG VW, especially the part about offsetting the Haldex service from the DSG service.

Users Country Flag
    I also did a Haldex oil and filter change just this last weekend on my Gen 2 2007 Passat. Last service was only 40,000 km ago, but it was due because of time. This service after 4 1/2 years was actually 6 months late and I'm glad I didn't wait any longer because there was blue-grey sludge on the outside of the filter. To get the oil level correct, I pre-heated the oil to the correct temperature by leaving the bottle in the sun for a while.

I actually panicked after finishing and driving the car because I thought maybe I'd inserted the filter the wrong way round. However a YouTube video showed the spring end inserted first, so that was a relief!
    2007 Passat B6 3.2 litre V6 4Motion | Granite Grey | standard 17" Solitude wheels | tow bar
    Mods: R36 steering wheel | HP DQ250 DSG tune | HPA Haldex performance controller | Koni sports yellow shocks | Eibach springs | H&R sway bars | Whiteline ALK | Kufatec E-MFA add on | Garage door button | Warning triangle retrofit | Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE003s

How easy is it to get to and is it pretty much like an old style manual gearbox oil change? Drain, fill through hole up till it dribbles out?

Where are you getting the supplies? Dealer?
    2008 Skoda Octavia Elegance TDI 4x4 wagon
    Bluefin 132Kw/385Nm, Racechips Response Control, Haldex Performance controller, H&R anti roll bars, Koni FSD shocks, SuperPro control arms & ball joints, subframe & gearshift mods, Full Dynamat interior, Polk Audio sound, Columbus, Bluetooth, MDI, parking sensors, camera. BBS SR 18x8" w/ 225/40xR18. 3M Crystalline tint.

Users Country Flag
    There's 4 drain and fill plugs in close proximity. Do not mix them up. Do some research on it, otherwise it'll cost you a diff.

I get the oil through VW, as it's cheap enough at $55/L. The filter needs to be sourced through an overseas Haldex agent, as there's no listing through VW for it, on an R36 at least (Gen IV Haldex). It is a royal pain in the rear end to do. The cover comes off easy enough, but the spacer that distrbutes the oil through the filter does not come out easily, as a vacuum is created within the housing. Definitely buy a new one of those, if you're absolutely keen on doing the filter.

Having spent well over an hour trying to extract it, just to get the filter out, it's easy to see why VW doesn't bother listing it as a replacement part.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Yes, I'm sure they don't ever do the filter in mine - Gen IV. It's the one thing I get the dealer to do as I read the official manual description and decided it was too painful. That and getting to it without a hoist (boy would I love a hoist at home). Well and alignments. Hate putting my wallet in their hands every time.
    2008 Skoda Octavia Elegance TDI 4x4 wagon
    Bluefin 132Kw/385Nm, Racechips Response Control, Haldex Performance controller, H&R anti roll bars, Koni FSD shocks, SuperPro control arms & ball joints, subframe & gearshift mods, Full Dynamat interior, Polk Audio sound, Columbus, Bluetooth, MDI, parking sensors, camera. BBS SR 18x8" w/ 225/40xR18. 3M Crystalline tint.