Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First home service B6 passat 2.0tdi BKP DSG wagon

First home service B6 passat 2.0tdi BKP DSG wagon

Hey guys, getting ready to try servicing my B6 passat 2.0tdi BKP DSG wagon.

What engine oil and oil filter would you recommend?

I'd also like to change the oil in the DSG. What DSG oil would you recommend, and do I need a filter for this?

Any tips/tricks for either of the two jobs?

I'm not without some knowledge, have serviced many of my own cars before and done diff/swivel/axle rebuilds on nissan patrols and the like, but figured the VW is a different beast so I'd come here for some advice.

Users Country Flag
    Any 5W30 504/507-spec approved oil is fine for the engine, of which you'll need approx. 4.5L.

As for the filter, get a known European brand, like Hengst, Mahle, or Mann. Genuine filters are only $25, if you can't be bothered sourcing something else. Don't use Ryco or Wesfil in these. They're rubbish and the O-ring they supply is too small, which leaks.

DSG oil, you'll need to hunt around for. Genuine is priced off the planet, at around $55/L, and you'll need 5 of them. Non-genuine like Liqui-Moly, Febi, and Swag, are around $30/L. There's a filter on top of the gearbox, and genuine is the cheapest, I've found, at around $40. You'll need to source the specifc filling hose and fittings to replace the oil, as it's gravity-fed from the bottom. The procedure is pretty simple, and has been covered a few times on here, and elsewhere.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Thanks buddy

Sorry had another question, any recommendation on coolants? Is the usual green stuff ok, and is it difficult to change/bleed on these cars?

Users Country Flag
    Penrite Enviro+ is a good oil Use it in both my cars.

The coolant is NOT the green stuff Look in the overflow bottle for the colour I think the good stuff is G12 and its pink
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Yep, needs to be pink G12+ at a minimum.

Green is an absolute no-no in VAG cars.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Thanks everyone! Looking at some video's online, looks like there is a tap near the lower hose on the radiator. If so, should make a full flush a pretty easy job (will fill and rinse out with water a couple of times).

Users Country Flag
    Nah, no tap on these.

Need to undo the quick-release fitting on the radiator hose itself.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Ah ok, that's easily done as well

Umai Naa!!, any tips for bleeding it (any hidden bleed screws or the like)? Or just leave the cap off, fill to the line, motor on heater on keep topping up for a while, usual deal?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast