Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Failed Locking mech on auto tailgate

Failed Locking mech on auto tailgate

Anyone got any advice if this can be fixed outside of getting the dealer to fix it. tailgate opens and closed as it should however does not lock.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Thanks Fletch

Users Country Flag
    Can you still lock it with the key? I vaguely remember with my Jetta that there was two "settings" on the key position as to whether it would lock and unlock with the car or just stay locked. Maybe there is the same thing here?? Just putting it out there. I haven't actually investigated on my Passat though so maybe it is different.
    2013 Touareg V8TDi - Black, LED Interior Mods, LED Projector "VW" Door Courtesy Lights, 20" VW Mountain Rims with A/T Tyres, Pioneer SX Roof Platform with some 4x4 accessories and a whole lotta torque

The lock mechanism unit needs to be replaced i would assume. Its got 2 contact switches in it-that tell the tailgate control unit its opened or closed, and the tailgate unit then gives the locking motor a pulseto lock it. The locking mech is about 130$ and is a 10 minute changeover once taking off the tailgate trim. It is fastened with 2 8mm spline head bolts. Although i would get a multimeter out and diagnose b4 spending the money. Erwin current flow diagrams are required to do the diagnosis though.
    MY18 Golf Alltrack 135tdi - DA pack, SL pack without sunroof, Info pack : tungsten silver

Users Country Flag
    I agree with limiteded, could be as simple as cleaning the contact switches if they are reachable.

Users Country Flag
    My did this, it was totally stuffed and required a replacement however dealer did it under warranty. i don't think it will be difficult DIY, just a couple of bolts, connector and some trim imo.

Users Country Flag
    My 2011 B7 Passat wagon (non auto tailgate) when attempting to close the tailgate it wouldn't latch..

Any idea of part numbers guys for a new latch? Seems to be a common issue on golfs, jettas etc etc (In 23 year of driving I've never had a car do this!)

Users Country Flag

I had a latch problem with my B6 before but it was to do with one of the contact switches, not the latching motor. The trunk light just wouldn't come on when the tailgate was opened.

Bought a similar unit from eBay (for B6 of course) about 14 months ago. It works. The only visual difference with the original unit is that the manual latch, which is not connected to anything, is made of plastic instead of metal. I wouldn't care about that.

Users Country Flag
    Oh Ok im the opposite the lights are continually on and the tailgate is open icon on the instrument cluster (as it wont latch shut)

Quote Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
    Oh Ok im the opposite the lights are continually on and the tailgate is open icon on the instrument cluster (as it wont latch shut)
    The instrument cluster functions okay for mine as it is controlled by a separate contact switch. In your case, the latch just doesn't activate any of those switches. If you can check power and signal are okay at the connector with a multi-meter, changing the latch will solve your problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast