Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Failed Locking mech on auto tailgate

Hay drjekl,

Read below thread, there is a good video, you might be able to fix your lock unless its physically damaged inside.

Tailgate Open on dash but physically closed.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasa911 View Post

Hay drjekl,

Read below thread, there is a good video, you might be able to fix your lock unless its physically damaged inside.

Tailgate Open on dash but physically closed.
    Thanks Lasa911!

Since the ebay part was only $28 delivered from MElbourne I ordered that, then when it arrives I'll pull it apart and take a look and if its buggered attempt to swap the new one in

I'm still shocked thats its failed on a car thats 6.5 years old... First time for everything I guess (the tailgate gets used once a week if that, more likely once a fortnight)

Users Country Flag
    Finally got around to fitting the new chinese ebay latch and yup works great!!

Ive seen guys saying VW dealers charge over $300 fitted, I got the new latch for $28 and it literally takes 15 minutes to install.

On my wagon there were two screws behind the safety triangle clasp, then one in each of the tailgate grab handle (one each on the left and right sides) then just pop trim off with a trim removal tool.

You can then just push trim out of the way to access the two screws holding the latch, unplug the cable then pop the new one in.

I'm not one to put cheap chinese parts on my car but the VW item only lasted 6.5 years, and we rarely use the boot TBH...Failed Locking mech on auto tailgate-img_20180505_103641275[1]-jpg
    Failed Locking mech on auto tailgate-img_20180505_103647461[1]-jpg
    Failed Locking mech on auto tailgate-img_20180505_103652911[1]-jpg
    Last edited by drjekl; 05-05-2018 at 08:14 PM.

My locking latch failed with in 3 year mark, was covered under warranty.
    I don't think Chinese parts vs Original would make much difference in this condition.
    Unless if it's heavily related to safety,

Some thoughts,
    you may end up getting Original VW latch made in China. I believe they have their own manufacturing to make vehicles for that region.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12