Thread: Engine didn't turn off

Users Country Flag

Engine didn't turn off

After stopping the car then pulling the key out of the dash then locking the car the wife then tells me that the engine is still going. There were no warning lights or anything.
    I then unlocked the car and put the key in then drove it to the local VW dealership but they had never heard of it happening. Anyway when I stopped the car and pulled the key out everything shut down as normal and the few times after that.
    Any ideas what could be causing it?
    I have a 2011 b7 passat.

Users Country Flag
    I have heard of this happening in older cars where there is a carbon build up,and the carbon get very hot and keeps the engine firing ?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloanie View Post
    After stopping the car then pulling the key out of the dash then locking the car the wife then tells me that the engine is still going. There were no warning lights or anything.
    I then unlocked the car and put the key in then drove it to the local VW dealership but they had never heard of it happening. Anyway when I stopped the car and pulled the key out everything shut down as normal and the few times after that.
    Any ideas what could be causing it?
    I have a 2011 b7 passat.
    If your Passat is a diesel, it may have been in the middle of a DPF regeneration procedure - when the engine is turned off, the cooling fans are switched on at 100% (they are roaring fast). The sound heard may have been mistaken for the engine to be still running.
    2006 Jetta TFSi, 2014 Passat Alltrack, 2010 Jetta 1.6 TDi manual, VCDS MicroCan

Users Country Flag
    I went through this with a customer the other day on a B7 actually.

Very unusual indeed, if it is in fact starting up again.

But as per above, the fans and electric water pump will kick on and cycle, to stablise temperature preventing heatsoak.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    If it's your wife telling you and not seen first hand, I'd almost bet my house that it's just the fans continuing on a timer.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

The fans come on now quite often even on very small trips. The first time it was definitely louder and it may have been in the middle of a DPF regeneration as my car is diesel.