Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dashcam - Which fuses to connect into?

Users Country Flag

Thats fair enough but for someone who doesnt have a multimeter or seemingly the knowledge to use it I thought my method easier for a novice. I am quite happy with doing what you did but for the average Joe it is possibly a bit beyond them. Would be rather expensive to go poking probes in the back of a fuse box if you arent familiar with what you are doing.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    He he big secret LOL My rear Camera is a DR450 which is a cheaper front camera but because it has same specs as a 650 for half the price I use that as a rear Second cable is the GPS as its not inbuilt in this model Most of the rear cams have been only 720p which is crap.
    Ah gotcha! That makes sense. But do you still get linked files front and rear?

I have no issue with the rear footage of the DR7502CH. But the 16Gb card isn't enough.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket36 View Post
    Ah gotcha! That makes sense. But do you still get linked files front and rear?

I have no issue with the rear footage of the DR7502CH. But the 16Gb card isn't enough.
    Not possible as they are two seperate cameras. I use 128gb cards in all my cameras.. The 750 rear is full HD All prev models were only 720p rears and werent anywhere near as good
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Not really and if you have no idea what you are doing I suggest you get someone who does to help you Rather dangerous pulling fuses if you dont know what they are protecting, Like AIRBAGS or ABS etc

Which way is up in that photo as all mine are vertical like in the pic below. You can see where the fuses are taken from in my pic but they are from extra slots with no fuse in them You can also use two of the addafuses to use existing fuses. Can also use them in a live spare slot just dont need the bottom fuse then Only need a 2 or 5 amp fuse in the top as the ciggy plug in Blackvues have a 2 amp fuse in them anyway The front one goes along the gap between the dash and A pillar trim and up the front between windscreen and trim then along front of roof lining. Has to go to the front to miss getting ripped out if the side airbag goes off Slide the cable up from the dash end and then work back from the camera so u dont have a big bunch of extra cable at the top Wrap it all in bubble wrap and hide it above the fuse box in dash end
    You really need a meter and need to find an always on and an ACC only on to connect to There is an earth point at the top and inside a bit further. To test an always on you need to put the probe in securely , turn the car off shut the door Lock it and come back in 35 mins as quite few circuits are delayed shut down. I have installed about 7 Blackvues and all still work.

Mine is a TD i Highline so may be different to yours but you can see in some of your spare slots the silver clips at one end of the fuse slots I would try them first and see what you get.

It wont run ALL the time as if it did it will run your battery flat Set the PMP at 12v and 6 hours and it will shutoff if battery drops below that. Set Motion sensitivity to zero in parking mode or it will pick up any tree branch blowing or someone walking past 50 m away.

I installed the rear camera a bit differently as I couldnt be bothered to try to get the cable through into the taildoor It is mounted on a piece of Colourbond flashing material slid over the rear roof trim. Is handy if you need to move it to get stuff in the doorway. The cabling from the dash is run under the lower door trims into the rear where there is a little door in the side of the boot. Then I used a wire to get it out to the door seal and ran it up inside the seal and along to the camera

Why did you buy the 650 The 750 is a far far better camera.
    Hi HillBilly, thank you for the detailed response.

The red fuses on top is the right way up, I wasn't able to rotate it.
    Yes I'll need to get a meter to read it otherwise it's a no go. And yes the TDI seems to be completely different setup.

That rear camera setup actually seems to be better than hanging it from the back window with some cable.

I got the 650 since I've had it for almost 3 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by seanmau5 View Post
    As Hillbilly said, not really. It seems that there isn’t really a standard that VW followed but depends on options I guess. I installed mine a little differently by creating brand new circuits to the back of the fuse box.

I don’t recall exactly which one is which but I’m pretty sure I’ve labelled them the correct way around and just used 5A fuses. The top of the fuse box bolts to the bar and has worked well for my ground. Are you in Sydney?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi seanmau5,

Yes I'm in Sydney.

From what I've seen on the American forums you're spot on for the ground connection.

I will most likely use the fuse taps to add onto the existing fuses, I wouldn't be good enough to do it your way haha. But thank you I appreciate the reply.

Mine has got several spare sockets that are live Just looks like unecessary extra work. Have done that in several different cars.
    So I should be able to just plug in 2 new connections directly with addafuse/fuse taps and I should be ok yes?

Users Country Flag
    Correct, but you need to find the right fuse locations to tap. You’ll definitely need a multimeter or test light. Happy to offer assistance if you require.

Quote Originally Posted by seanmau5 View Post
    Correct, but you need to find the right fuse locations to tap. You’ll definitely need a multimeter or test light. Happy to offer assistance if you require.

Thanks Seanmau5, let me see what I can get a hold off within the next 2 weeks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12