Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Battery charger for Stop Start battery

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Have a brief reply from Ctek which says " You can with good result use your MXS 7,0 to your Varta AGM battery. This will not harm the battery."

So guess its OK and Battery World are not entirely correct.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Have a brief reply from Ctek which says " You can with good result use your MXS 7,0 to your Varta AGM battery. This will not harm the battery."

So guess its OK and Battery World are not entirely correct.
    I agree with you. I'm using 10 years old CTek to charge the AGM battery without any issue.
    The Ctek charger cost more these days for some reason, but there are also Bosch and Projecta with their consumer orientated chargers. The Ctek is probably the best suited, if you charge the battery in the driveway, since it's environmentally sealed.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    I agree with you. I'm using 10 years old CTek to charge the AGM battery without any issue.
    The Ctek charger cost more these days for some reason, but there are also Bosch and Projecta with their consumer orientated chargers. The Ctek is probably the best suited, if you charge the battery in the driveway, since it's environmentally sealed.
    Repco seem to knock 50% or so off the prices with some regularity. I got one the other week to replace an Aldi charger. Which for $30 was ok as a basic item. The Ctek is another world though.

Gavin

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    Repco seem to knock 50% or so off the prices with some regularity. I got one the other week to replace an Aldi charger. Which for $30 was ok as a basic item. The Ctek is another world though.

Gavin
    Bought my MXS 7.0 at Repco sale for $159. Cheaper than online at the time
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    This is sort of like saying "sure you can use your OEM wheels with your car with good results.... but we have newer ones...".

The MXS series specifically work with the AGM batteries, so that's no great surprise. I'd still be interested in what the EFB batteries chargers bring to the table over the AGM types and if there is any benefit in the "stop/start" charger vs the MXS when it comes to charging AGM batteries.

...which of course leads to the next question...

Does VW use EFB? Or are they even available in Australia otherwise?

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    ...which of course leads to the next question...

Does VW use EFB? Or are they even available in Australia otherwise?
    From Stop-Start Car Batteries | Battery Service Sydney and NSW

"cars such as the Subaru XV, Impreza (2012 onwards), Mazda CX5, Mazda SP25 and Mazda Skyactiv all use EFB batteries."

Users Country Flag

The EFB batteries are just a bit improved version of the std lead acid flooded batteries. So, any CTek charger will charge it just fine, without any ill affect. The AGM batteries are superior to EFB batteries.

From the Tiguan with ss technology.
    The charging characteristic of the alternator is not any different to ordinary flooded battery, with exemption to the higher current, to allow quick charging.
    Last edited by Transporter; 07-09-2016 at 07:58 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123