Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B7 Passat Wagon - Automatic tailgate slamming

B7 Passat Wagon - Automatic tailgate slamming

Can anyone confirm this for me? (apologies if this has been covered already)

When the automatic tailgate closes on my B7 Passat wagon, it slams very hard; can anyone else with a B7 Passat confirm that this is normal? It seems excessive and the VW service centre were unable to confirm this for me.

If it's normal, has anyone had any luck retrofitting the tailgate to a 'soft close' option? It seriously feels as though the tailgate will shake itself apart within a year or 2.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by ARJ; 18-10-2014 at 11:35 AM.
    MY13.5 B7 Passat V6 FSI DSG 4MOTION Highline Wagon
    Candy White | Electric and Heated Leather | Electric Folding Mirrors | Panoramic Sunroof | Adaptive Lighting Package | Lane Assist | Park Assist | Kansas 18” Alloys

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ARJ View Post
    Can anyone confirm this for me? (apologies if this has been covered already)

When the automatic tailgate closes on my B7 Passat wagon, it slams very hard; can anyone else with a B7 Passat confirm that this is normal? It seems excessive and the VW service centre were unable to confirm this for me.

If it's normal, has anyone had any luck retrofitting the tailgate to a 'soft close' option? It seriously feels as though the tailgate will shake itself apart within a year or 2.

Thanks in advance!
    Has to shut forcefully over the last 150mm or it wont lock. Mine does it but I dont worry about it. It isnt all that hard to eventually break it. Lots of people slam boot doors a lot harder than it does.
    Sooner it shut than stayed a bit open and gassed me.
    In saying that seems some other makes do shut more gently. Probably depends on how the lock actually works.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    My Passat Wagon is the same, comes down quite fast over the last bit. I also have a Audi Q5 and its smooth and quiet all the way, guess thats what you pay for.

Ah, good to know it's normal. But so loud! Now if only VW stole the locking mechanism from the Q5 side of the family! Thanks Adamg.
    MY13.5 B7 Passat V6 FSI DSG 4MOTION Highline Wagon
    Candy White | Electric and Heated Leather | Electric Folding Mirrors | Panoramic Sunroof | Adaptive Lighting Package | Lane Assist | Park Assist | Kansas 18” Alloys

Users Country Flag
    It's normal. I had to make sure the number plate screws had some rubber washers to stop the plate vibrating when it closed.

Yep, normal.....
    * MY12 B7 Passat V6 4-motion Highline wagon....
    * Sport pack (Kansas wheels) - Active cruise City EB - Driver Assist Vis pack - Auto tailgate - Candy White with dark tint.

Users Country Flag
    I realise this an old thread but I've just bought an R36 wagon and the power tailgate also slams. I spoke to another R36 owner and they said theirs didn't slam. Also if you kinda hold it as it closes, it doesn't slam. Does replacing the gas struts help?
    '02 S3 & '09 R36 Wagon

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by SamS3 View Post
    I realise this an old thread but I've just bought an R36 wagon and the power tailgate also slams. I spoke to another R36 owner and they said theirs didn't slam. Also if you kinda hold it as it closes, it doesn't slam. Does replacing the gas struts help?
    Didnt know they had struts unless they are hidden in the roof They are raised and lowered by an electric motor

Users Country Flag
    They aren't hidden. They are in the same spot as the manual tailgate. Mine slams sometimes too so I took the struts off to check them. Mine seemed to have about the same pressure each side so I assume they are ok. It's also difficult to get them back on because they have a lot of pressure in them. I still don't know why it slams sometimes and not others.

Users Country Flag

Amazing have never noticed them You are right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast