Thread: B7 Passat - Time to flip?

Users Country Flag

B7 Passat - Time to flip?

Hi All,

Our 2013 Alltrack has been awesome! An absolute pleasure to drive, to the point that alternatives, other than upgrading to a newer one, don't seem too appealing, but at 96,xxx kms, I'm starting to get a little edgy about potential up coming costs. It's always been driven respectfully and looked after very well, serviced on time etc.

Question is, have many of you with Passat Alltracks of Passat 125d, got over 100,000 kms without any major expenses? Or perhaps you've hit hurdles? I'm worried about DSG and engine horror stories.

I guess I'm looking for confidence to keep it.

Thanks,

Allblack
    2013 Passat Alltrack, Black, Pano Roof

Users Country Flag
    Hi Allblack

I have a 2017 golf alltrack 135 tdi and i agree they are the ducks guts i love it to bits lol

As for expenses your coming to timing belt change which with a service is around 1k
    i would get water pump done at same time as everything is off the front of the motor anyway so cost is mainly the pump + a small bit of labor maybe a extra 250 or 300 bucks
    Then at 120k you have the dsg service (every 60k)
    But if you service them properly they do last a long time i gave my daughter my old golf highline 103tdi now 9 years old with 150k on it and apart from servicing have had no extra costs everything still works just like new. Switches, lights,ect ect all still fine
    But if you want to upgrade the new 7.5 model is great if you option it with the tech packages
    Driver assist is a must have!
    Also the 7 speed dq381 gearbox is lightyears better than the dq250 6 speed you have fitted to your car

Happy motoring mate
    2017 Golf Alltrack 135tdi All options
    19 inch Brescia Wheels Golf R brakes front and rear
    Calipers painted Candy apple gold
    New rear sway bar and linkages

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks Kachingg.

Luckily for me, the water pump sprung an issue a couple of months ago, which was covered under warranty, which also resulted in the timing belt being changed at VW cost!

Yes, I remembered the DSG is due every 60k, which is ok. I'm guess I'm more concerned about the DSG packing in, or the engine failing. The 7k costs scare me.

Your post re you old golf gives me a little confidence. A couple more about high kms with no issues will have me keeping it
    2013 Passat Alltrack, Black, Pano Roof

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by AllBlack View Post
    Thanks Kachingg.

Luckily for me, the water pump sprung an issue a couple of months ago, which was covered under warranty, which also resulted in the timing belt being changed at VW cost!

Yes, I remembered the DSG is due every 60k, which is ok. I'm guess I'm more concerned about the DSG packing in, or the engine failing. The 7k costs scare me.

Your post re you old golf gives me a little confidence. A couple more about high kms with no issues will have me keeping it

Nice that your pump and belt are done no big cost until 180kish nice the water pumps on the mark 6,s and yours are a plastic impeller so prone to failure which is why its recommended to replace at timing belt change

As for the dsg its pretty bulletproof if you have the dq250 wet clutch been around for ages the only real issue is the mechatronics (which is the computer that runs it) sometimes buggers up and can cost a few k to fix

But its a lottery with every car that gets old really so its up to you yours is 5ish years old should be good for another 3 to 5 years of trouble free motoring but your resale goes down every year 2

If you want peace of mind buy a new car and get extended warranty for 5 years of no worries motoring is it worth the cost to you?
    2017 Golf Alltrack 135tdi All options
    19 inch Brescia Wheels Golf R brakes front and rear
    Calipers painted Candy apple gold
    New rear sway bar and linkages