Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adaptive Cruise retrofit

Users Country Flag

Adaptive Cruise retrofit

This has been my most complex, frustrating, rewarding and interesting retrofit to date.
    It is not for the faint of heart

Adaptive Cruise retrofit-imag1767-jpg

Thanks go to Umai Naa who did the actual ABS module swap for me.

I would not have been able to achieve this without the constant advice and support of golfi_vend from the Ross-tech forums.
    He has done this retrofit in multiple vehicles and knows all there is to know about the B6 and B7 Passats.
    Special thanks also to Spacewalker also from the Ross-tech forums.

ACC was offered in some MY10.5 R36s here in Australia, so the way I have performed the retrofit is not the only way it can be done. You could go for a pure B6 (3C0 parts) retrofit however I have used a mix of B7 parts due to the fact that my CCM is a B7 part and expects a B7 ABS and Electronic Steering Column Lock.

This is not intended as a guide.
    It is more an overview of the journey as I took it.
    I have lots of unstructured notes and translations please feel to PM me if you'd like more info or specifics.

References:
    Passat B7 ACC retrofit in progress...
    WEbsite is defunct now but I have the contents saved

Pre-requisite parts

In order to achieve this upgrade I had already upgraded the following parts:
    7N0907530BL CANbus gateway (has extended can interface which ACC radar connects to, as well as the TPMS direct module which I had previously installed)
    B7 Multifunction steering wheel (not essential)
    B7 Multifuction steering wheel controller/slipring/instrument stalks including ACC control 5K0953569T/3C5953501BM
    B7 Electronic Park Brake module 3C8907801A - my original EPB was failing a while back so I replaced with a new version which is required for ACC 3AA907801E. this needs to be flashed to sw version 10, or install a 3AA907801H/J.
    You will have an 'incompatible interface' error log in VCDS against the ABS and EPB modules. This is because the EPB switch in the B6 was a momentary switch in the dash, and in the B7 it moved to a rocker type 2 way switch next to the gear selector. This means you also need to replace the whole centre console....
    Last edited by kamold; 07-06-2017 at 07:41 AM.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    B7 MFSW/slipring/instruments upgrade

Reference: https://www.drive2.ru/l/3565250/

The B6 setup for the indicator/cruise stalks, multifunction steering wheel controller and slipring is composed of separate components that all connect together.
    From MY10 these become an integrated unit (including steering angle sensor G85).
    Unfortunately the pinouts and connectors also change, so this upgrade (to include the ACC cruise control stalk) requires the following changes:
    Remove the airbag, steering wheel, slipring, MFSW controller and instrument stalks.
    Cut off the airbag and steering controller connectors.
    Extend the harness from the car by 12cm for the steering wheel loom (14 wires) and 13cm for the airbag connector (2 wires).

Do not attempt this at night in the dark and rain when you have to drive the car to work in the morning....(speaking from experience here I stayed up for a whole night as I messed up the wiring change and the car wouldn't start and it took me hours to debug and resolve my mistake)

Refer to the wiring diagrams for the B6 and B7 from ERWIN and make note of the colours of the original car harness to minimise the chances of repeating what I did.
    A second set of hands and eyes for this would be very useful.

This is the wiring swaps that need to take place:

MFSW connector
    Old New
    T20 T16
    1 --------------- 11
    2 ------ --------- 16
    3 --------------- 3
    4 --------------- 4
    6 ----- ---------- 12
    7 --------------- 13
    8 --------------- 10
    9 ---- ----------- 9
    10 ------------- 6
    12 ------------- 7
    13 ------- ------ 14
    16 ------------- 5 (to ECU black and white wire. ACC radar pin
    17 ------------- 2
    18 ------------ -1

pinout plug yellow (airbag)
    1 ----- 1
    2 ----- 2
    Pins 3 and 4 are not populated. (dual stage airbags)

16 -pin plug number 1K0972928

Airbag connector 3C0972133
    Adaptive Cruise retrofit-imag1512-jpg
    These are the old connectors. They need to be cut and the wires extended for the new connectors.
    Last edited by kamold; 07-06-2017 at 07:43 AM.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

ACC Parts

ABS pump
    The following are ACC capable ABS modules:
    3AA614109E, D, Q, T, AA, AE, AJ, AN, AM, AR, AS, BB, BC, BJ, BL, BN, BS
    However they are rare and quite expensive.
    I chose the more McGyver route of modifying a non-ACC unit to ACC. More on this later.

Radar module with front assist
    3AA907567A

3x ( 3C0907179A + 3C0907179B ) holder for radar (plastic clips and screws)
    3C0971206A - Radar Harness

3C0853601A JZA - the ACC VW emblem (this replaces the VW badge in the front grill)
    3C0853347A RYP - Adapter for the ACC VW emblem

Ok now all the prep work is done on to the actual upgrade...

Step 1 - Modify the ABS unit for ACC

All B7 ABS modules are physically capable of supporting ACC, they just have a EEPROM which is programmed as either ACC or non-ACC.
    The non-ACC modules are therefor much cheaper to buy.
    You can trick a non-ACC ABS module into thinking its an ACC ABS module by reprogramming the EEPROM, and then re-flashing the ABS software to the now ACC ABS module.
    I bought a 3AA614109AQ module.

The back cover of the electronics of the ABS module can be carefully pried off with a putty knife or butter knife.
    Then the ST 95320 EEPROM (has 532WQ printed on it) can be carefully removed from the board with a hot air gun.
    Clean up the board so there is no solder using solder wick or similar.
    Use a SOP28 to DIP28 ZIF adapter and EEPROM programmer like a Minipro to read the EEPROM contents to file.
    Modify the file to trick the software update into thinking its an ACC radar.
    Solder the EEPROM back to its pads on the board.
    Close up the ABS module and seal with suitable glue or silicon
    Adaptive Cruise retrofit-imag1463-jpg
    Last edited by kamold; 07-06-2017 at 08:47 AM.

Step 2 - Install the new ABS module

The B7 ABS module layout has changed slightly. It means that the factory harness is now no longer long enough to allow the plug to be reinserted to the new ABS module.
    The only cables which need to be extended are the thicker power and ground cables.

Once these have been extended the factory plug plugs into the ABS module without issue.
    Now use ODIS-E to flash the SGO file to the module. Mine was already running software version 20 however we need to flash the same software back to it as it will now become an ACC ABS module.

Adaptive Cruise retrofit-imag1638-jpg

We now need to try and find suitable coding for the new ABS unit. There is very little guidance on this as it is not documented by VW therefor Ross-tech is not able to offer any assistance.
    The original coding from your old ABS module is meaningless to the new module.
    I chose to just plug in the ABS module without bleeding the brakes and plumbing in the new unit. I wanted to get it working electrically before removing my working B6 module.

Refer to this post for the coding byte descriptions:
    Passat B7 ACC retrofit in progress...
    Save this as a label file in the user directory in VCDS, then open Lcode and point to the new label file.
    You need coding in the ABS module which doesn't result in a 'module incorrectly coded' error. Missing basic adaptations is expected until you have performed these.
    ACC Coding: 0103076
    non-ACC: 0004772
    ACC with Front Assist: 0119460

With an ABS module that now has valid coding, you can actually install it and plumb in the brake lines. If you aren't sure how to do the actual swap get your mechanic to do so. This is an essential part of the braking system!

adjust adaptation channel 021 overboost level to 7, then 061 Hydraulic brake pressure and basic setting (check your PR codes on the sticker in the boot, match to the popup in VCDS).

The bracket which holds the ABS pump in place has also changed. I didn't know this so when Umai Naa was changing it over he had to do some Mcgyver mods to get it to fit. They just changed the bolt pattern so was just a matter of drilling a new hole through the bracket and leaving one bolt out.

Install the new ABS pump and bleed the brake lines (good opportunity to put new brake fluid in)
    Perform ABS function test using VCDS.

Adaptive Cruise retrofit-imag1699-jpg

Adaptive Cruise retrofit-imag1700-jpg

Step 3 - Radar installation

Remove the front centre grill
    The radar module is installed in the centre top just in front of the bonnet latch.
    There are already 3 square holes into which the plastic mounts are inserted. The screws for the radar are then inserted into these clips. They also serve as the adjustments for aiming the radar.
    The cable is then routed around to the left so that the longer cables can go through the firewall into the cabin.

Adaptive Cruise retrofit-imag1659-jpg

Adaptive Cruise retrofit-imag1660-jpg

Adaptive Cruise retrofit-imag1661-jpg

Adaptive Cruise retrofit-imag1663-jpg

Adaptive Cruise retrofit-imag1662-jpg

acc radar pinouot:
    pin1 - not used
    pin2 - ground
    pin3 - not used
    pin4 - can bus Ext. High (gateway pin 17)
    pin5 - can bus Ext. Low (gateway pin 7)
    pin6 - not used
    pin7 - not used
    pin8 - to steering wheel module to pin5 (new steering wheel 16 pin connector) keep current wire (if you have cruise control you have this wire, otherwise you will have to add it, it connects to ECU)
    pin9 - ground
    pin10 - fuse SC4
    Last edited by kamold; 26-06-2017 at 11:05 AM.

Step 4 - Coding modules

ACC coding:

1. In the can gateway installation list add Address 13 - Auto Dist. Reg.
    2. Address 1 Engine control unit, byte 5 bits 5 and 6 were both set to 1 for ACC (drop down menu shows nothing)
    Need to enter security access code in [Coding II-11] and not [Secure access-16]
    13647 - For older ECU-s like PD and PPD. Also for AXZ before 2008 without Front Assist
    13377 - Newer ECU-s with manual gearbox and without Follow to Stop
    30903 - Newer ECU-s with automatic gearbox and with Follow to Stop+Front Assist
    3. Address 44 steering wheel: activate assistant menu byte 0 bit 1 and acc byte 2 bit7 (also unrecorded 00-no cruise control, 20- cruise control and missing 40-acc)
    4. Radar coding is 10000 for Automatic transmission or 10100 for manual transmission
    enter security code 21056
    adaptation channel 2 set to 201
    change coding either 10000 or 10100 after that we need to relock coding
    adaptation channel 2 set to 1, recoding is safe, basic setting are not lost
    Also check adaptation channels match your requirements

Once the new ABS was installed along with the radar module, I had a fault code from the Park Brake module of '03194 - incompatible interface'.
    This is caused by the fact that the new ABS module was born in a B7 Passat that has the park brake switch in the centre console rather than on the dash next to the ignition coil...this in turn caused a cascade of faults through the ABS which caused ABS, ESP, EPB and ACC to become disabled.

The usual solution for this is to replace the whole centre console including gear selector to get the new rocker style switch. Its a big enough job on its won as it requires rewiring all the switches and relocating the park brake switch etc etc.
    Refer to this link for a full writeup:

https://www.motor-talk.de/blogs/shan...-t3911487.html
    Another one in Russian with photos:

https://www.drive2.com/l/4839808/

Adaptive Cruise retrofit-imag1745-jpg

I had a crazy hope that maybe upgrading my EPB to the last available version 3AA907801J with software 012 might resolve the issue, as I was only able to upgrade mine as far as software 010 (which made it a 3AA907801H). However I got hold of one of the newer modules and it didn't resolve the 'incompatible interface' error.
    So onwards to the centre console replacement...

I found a Passat being wrecked and got the complete centre console including arm rest and gear selector lever.
    It is straight forward to remove the old one though its large and unwieldy. I also cut out the MDI connector inside the centre console in order to replace it with the USB/aux port for my Discover Media head unit.
    if you have to do this the BEST way to do it is to cut out the harness from the new car from the EPB module to the console switch set.
    Then remove the socket with the 16 smaller pins which all connect to the new EPB console switch and use this to replace your existing wiring. Leave the larger gauge wires which connect to the ABS and ECU in place.

I didn't have access to this as I got the parts from a wreck interstate. Rewiring all the pins was quite time consuming.

End result:

Adaptive Cruise retrofit-imag1765-jpg

Adaptive Cruise retrofit-imag1766-jpg
    Last edited by kamold; 26-06-2017 at 11:08 AM.

Missing a small trim piece but otherwise complete.

Last edited by kamold; 10-06-2017 at 05:32 PM.

Centre console trim complete, decided to put the CC climatronics panel in too which looks a little nicer in my opinion than the mk6
    Last edited by kamold; 20-06-2017 at 01:47 PM.

Reserved 6

Users Country Flag
    Wow that's unreal! Great write up and instructions. Cluster looks unreal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Adaptive Cruise retrofit

Nice work! I don't know what's more amazing, the patience to do all the work and not give up or the technical skill to piece it all together!

I'm guessing you do a fair bit of highway driving to warrant this? I doubt all the parts (and your time) were cheap?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast