Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Adaptive Cruise retrofit

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

I've only just got the radar aligned suitably as of yesterday so testing of the settings is to come.
    I currently have the acceleration set to normal, which is a bit too lazy in traffic but probably suitable on the open road.
    Will try sport.
    Distance I had set to far and in traffic that gap is too big. Not game to try at very close yet until I'm comfortable with my calibration...
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Nice work. Your cluster needles appear to be purple - is that just because of the camera, or did you actually change your blue needles to purple?

Also, I never realised before that VW hid its radar sensor behind the badge - how typical of VW's designers to pay attention to even that little detail, unlike a lot of other manufacturers who just put an ugly black plastic panel somewhere in the grille - or do what Honda do and mount it low down on the bumper where it is more susceptible to damage from road debris.

Quote Originally Posted by kleung View Post
    Nice work. Your cluster needles appear to be purple - is that just because of the camera, or did you actually change your blue needles to purple?

Also, I never realised before that VW hid its radar sensor behind the badge - how typical of VW's designers to pay attention to even that little detail, unlike a lot of other manufacturers who just put an ugly black plastic panel somewhere in the grille - or do what Honda do and mount it low down on the bumper where it is more susceptible to damage from road debris.
    Its just poor colour reproduction on the phone the needles are indeed blue....

The Mk7 Golf radar is low down and visible, below the license plate. I think the B8 location is still behind the badge but I'm not 100% sure.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    B8 behind badge.
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag
    On my R36, I didn't realise until after I bought it from (a non VW) dealer that it actually had Adaptive Cruise Control. It was a $2,000 option when my car was delivered in 2010!

Here is how the radar is located on the B6 R36 (when I had the front clip off to sort out the wiring for the parking sensors.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adaptive Cruise retrofit-pc070429a-jpg  
    Biscay Blue MY10.5 Passat R36 Wagon
    Options: Sunroof, RNS510 Sat Nav, Dynaudio, Power Tailgate, ACC, RVC, BT 9w7, Tint and Factory Towbar.
    Atlantic Blue MY19.5 Golf GTI
    Options: Luxury Package and Sound & Style Package.

Users Country Flag
    I've attached a couple of photos of the MFD. First is selecting the Front Assist and the second is the ACC with the distance control showing. Interestingly the Front Assist and ACC are on different menus. It means that you have to select the Front Assist separately, which I always do when I have the ACC on.

This is quite different to the B7 Passat and my wife's Mk7 Golf, whose ACC I always find difficult to control on the steering wheel - probably because I'm not so used to the quite different controls.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adaptive Cruise retrofit-b6-front-assist-display-jpg   Adaptive Cruise retrofit-b6-acc-display-jpg  

Biscay Blue MY10.5 Passat R36 Wagon
    Options: Sunroof, RNS510 Sat Nav, Dynaudio, Power Tailgate, ACC, RVC, BT 9w7, Tint and Factory Towbar.
    Atlantic Blue MY19.5 Golf GTI
    Options: Luxury Package and Sound & Style Package.

That front radar sphere looks like the eye of hal from 2001 a space odyssey. Would be cool if it could light up in the same fashion!
    132TSI Tiguan Allspace

If you stand in front of it long enough you probably would start glowing
    When working in the front of the car the workshop guide advises switching the radar off so you don't fry your future progeny...

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Performed a full McGyver ACC radar alignment this morning.
    Made a laser alignment rig from a laser pointer, a microphone stand and a plastic plate.
    Calibrated out to about 20m rather than the factory solution which is performed at 1.14m distance to target so I'm hoping the accuracy is enhanced.

Adaptive Cruise retrofit-radar-jpg

First test at 60kmh in traffic and performance is improved.
    Initial detection and lock on target is quicker and it is staying locked more effectively.
    Happy with the result.
    Will calibrate a friend's B7 who is still off after the dealer said they had calibrated it...

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast