The cooler weather we are now experiencing allows working on your car easier and without the hot glare if done outside. Now is a great time to apply a new wax layer onto your car’s paintwork. The damper weather and cooler mornings means paintwork is susptable to prolonged water droplets left on the car.

For most, waxing your car can be a time consuming task and seem overwhelming for some. But with our range of waxes, we make this job easy while the benefits of paint protection are long lasting and very rewarding.

As we regularly get questions sent in about our Autoglym Rapid Aqua Wax, Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection and Autoglym High Definition Wax. We decided to put together a list of our most frequently asked questions and put the myths to rest.

What are the benefits of using wax?

Our high quality blend of carnauba and microcrystalline waxes provide a resistance to the sun’s harsh UV rays, while creating a physical barrier against salt, detergents, environmental contaminants and particles from bonding with your paint work.

Spending a little extra time once every 4 months to add a layer of wax to a clean car, or by using the Rapid Aqua Wax during each wash will make future washing easier and quicker, while providing an extra glossy shiny look. The water beading effect that it creates will allow the rain or heavy dew to simply slide off and not sit on the vehicle for a length of time.

Autoglym provide three very distinct options for applying a wax coating to your vehicle, each with different application and protection levels.
HD Wax – lasts up to 6 months
Extra Gloss Protection – lasts up to 4 months
Rapid Aqua Wax – lasts up to 2 months.

What is the difference between Polish and Wax?

Polishing is the act of applying an abrasive product such as Autoglym Super Resin Polish or the more powerful Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine to remove an ultra-fine layer of clear coat on your bodywork which flattens the paint surface, resulting in an equal reflection of light on the surface.

Polishing helps remove swirl marks, blemishes, oxidising, imperfections and hazing. You will need to add a wax layer on top to seal the paintwork as polish is not designed to protect for the long term.

Waxing will not remove scratches or imperfections, waxing is the act of applying a physical barrier on top of the clear coat to protect and prevent harsh contaminants from making contact with the paintwork directly.

For a more in-depth comparison between the two, check out this article. http://www.blog.autoglym.com.au/know...ing-polishing/

How long does Wax last?
High Definition Wax has been formulated to provide a deep gloss finish and maximum protection for up to 50 washes depending on vehicle usage and storage. To ensure your vehicle is always protected apply 2-4 times per year.

Can I over wax my car?
No. Unlike polishing it is not abrasive and you can wax your car as often as you want to but you will not gain further benefits and the additional wax layers might not bond correctly.

How much Wax should I be using?
A common mistake people tend to make is over applying, you only need to apply a very thin layer using the provided applicator pad. Applying too much wax will cause it to build up and not bond with the paint work correctly, resulting in the wax braking down much faster.

Check out the video below!

How do I remove old wax?
Removing any old layer of wax before re-applying will allow the new wax to bond with the paintwork directly resulting in a much longer life span of the new layer.

For those who want to thoroughly remove any old wax before reapplying a new layer, you can give your car a once over with Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover. After removing the old wax you will then need to wash any remaining Intensive Tar Remover from your car with Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo or Bodywork Shampoo and Conditioner before applying Autoglym High Definition Wax or Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection.

For wax that has fallen on your plastic trim and rubber trim, you can simply apply Autoglym Fast Glass onto a microfibre cloth and wipe over the area.

I run a professional detailing business and I want to know the technical specification of the product, where can I find out more?
You can find the High Definition Wax Data sheet on our website: https://www.autoglym.com/pub/media/p...NITION-WAX.pdf

Follow us
Autoglym Australia Website
Autoglym Australia Instagram
Autoglym Australia Facebook
Autoglym Australia YouTube Channel

We are here to help you
If you require car care advice or you’re unsure on which Autoglym product to use for a specific task, please leave a comment below or head to Autoglym Australia for more information.