Support VWWC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windscreen scratches and chips

Users Country Flag

I've never had to use an ice scraper myself but i have seen them. The only way i can imagine an ice scraper scratching the windscreen would be if there was a small rock or some other hard material (road debris/piece of tar/metal etc) that got picked up by the ice scraper and scratched the glass.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Getting slightly off subject but why are you using a plastic scraper? I fill the watering can with hot water from the tap and pour it over my windows when they are iced up. To make sure the windscreen doesn't ice up again straight away I turn the wipers on for a few strokes to clear the water off.

I've been doing this for 40 years, on a great range of cars and as long as the windscreen isn't already cracked it doesn't do any damage. Just pour the water on so it takes a few seconds to do the windscreen, not throw it all on at once.

Canberra may be cold but you should see the ice we get out at Braidwood most mornings.

Cheers

Paul

Users Country Flag
    ^ i cant believe you have done that for 40 years and never cracked a windscreen? How hot is the water (boiling?).
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Previous discussion for the Golf Mk7:

Windscreen replacement

AAMI wanted to replace with "compliant to Australian standard glass" *spit*, I paid $400 extra to get OEM. All through Windscreen's O'Brien at Fyshwick I think...(They came to work to replace it)

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by sports racer View Post
    Getting slightly off subject but why are you using a plastic scraper? I fill the watering can with hot water from the tap and pour it over my windows when they are iced up. To make sure the windscreen doesn't ice up again straight away I turn the wipers on for a few strokes to clear the water off.

I've been doing this for 40 years, on a great range of cars and as long as the windscreen isn't already cracked it doesn't do any damage. Just pour the water on so it takes a few seconds to do the windscreen, not throw it all on at once.

Canberra may be cold but you should see the ice we get out at Braidwood most mornings.

Cheers

Paul
    You have been doing it wrong for 40 years then It has been scientifically proven that putting warm water on ice freezes faster than cold water
    as per here

What’s Up With That: The Mysterious Effect That Makes Hot Water Freeze Faster Than Cold | WIRED

Have seen it myself with frozen locks Pour hot water on and they freeze up worse Pour cold water on they unfreeze Had my car parked out in a very wet and snowy winter Rained and froze at night couldnt get lock to turn in morning Poured hot water on it Made it worse tried cold and slowly it came right. I would never put anything hotter than very luke warm water on a windscreen and we always used cold.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Haha this has gone a little off topic .. sooooo, has anyone licked their windscreen when it's covered in ice ?

I didn't realise that insurers don't replace with OEM windscreens anymore ? DIRTY! I recall back in 2005 I changed 2 x OEM Renault cliosport athermic/rain sensing/light sensing windscreens in 2 weeks of owning the car .. they weren't happy but they gave me OEM ones - no questions asked.
    RS
    R

Users Country Flag
    I noticed that my windscreen. Drivers side was not sitting square to the screen and was skipping across .it left a plastic mark across the screen when it laid over ,called into Tweed VW who had seen this before and Adjusted the arm by using. Two. Shifters With. Tape on the jaws To twist the arm into the right position.
    Last edited by ian; 31-08-2016 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sports racer View Post

Cheers

Paul
    Hi Paul,

No offense to Braidwood, but I grew up in Switzerland... I might know a thing or two about ice removal from cars and yes everyone is using ice scrapers.

This particular ice scraper has been used by me on both the Mondeo and the Caddy i used to have for work.

As for another comment about the rock, dirt, grit that the scraper picked up. It would be a fair coincidence to have that happen on 4-5 occasions in one ice removal session. Because that is how many scratches I have.

Anyway. Just gotta live with it. Awesome car with sub par glass..
    Last edited by MB1975; 01-09-2016 at 11:05 AM.

Users Country Flag

Windscreen woes

Bought a new car, after 3 days noticed that the front & rear windscreen have wiper scratches on them.

What do i do? I don't prefer windscreen replacement yet. is there any other alternative?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12